Should I upgrade?

netrate

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008
I am seeing great deals like this :"

http://www.newegg.ca/Special/ShellShocker.aspx

For memory. I have a Q6600 and P5Q-E motherboard. Wonder if I should upgrade the MOBO to take DDR3 and leave the chipset for better/faster performance when video rendering, photoshop etc. Right now I have 8 gigs of RAM with Vista. I would upgrade to 16gigs of the DDR3 and get a new MOBO. What do you think? Suggestions?

Hello netrate;

$160 for RAM, another $80 for a motherboard. $240 for the total upgrade to get roughly the same performance? This would be an expensive 'side-ways' upgrade.

I think it's a better option to save that $240 and put it toward your next full system upgrade.

jb6684

Distinguished
I wouldn't spend any money to move a 775 socket CPU, like the Q6600, forward.....

If you put the CPU in a new 775 MB that does (oddly) support DDR3, you will still have to run it at the same old speed. So, ZERO (0) performance gain for a couple hundred bucks, not a good deal.....

jb6684

Distinguished
In the AMD world:
- AMD Phenom II X4 955
- ASUS or Gigabyte motherboard
- DDR3 1600, 4Gb or RAM; Corsair, G.Skill, or Crucial
- Windows 7 64 bit operating system
- GPU, if your JUST doing 2D work, on-board graphics will likely be plenty fast
OPTIONAL: a separate GPU card if your doing 3D or gaming like GTX 460 or AMD 5770 are a good start,
- Power Supply 500watts no GPU, 650watts will prepare you for just about any SINGLE GPU, Antec, Corsair, or Seasonic

In the Intel world:
- Intel Sandy Bridge is faster i5-2300 (I'd just be sure it was a quad core ....)
- rest of the system same as above...

What is your budget? The Q6600 is still a solid CPU, in fact no lag whatsoever from forum members that still use it. Sure it shows age, but that is with all CPU's after a few years.

I suggest you wait until you have a budget of at least 300$. That way you could fit an i5 2500 ($200) an Asrock H67M ($95). That way (if you don't game) you can just use the integrated graphics on the 2500 but also take advantage of the Quick Sync technology should your programs be compatible. Add $30 more and get a 2500K that way you get Intel HD3000 graphics instead of the HD2000 in the 2500.