Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How much Power supply for dual monitors on 1 graphics card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 29, 2011 6:50:32 PM

Dear Community,

I am a fan of building my own desktops, and it's about time to replace the one i built many many years ago, when i splurged to get an HT intel p4 processor....

So I have 2 monitors currently, a 1920x1080 ViewSonic and 1680x1050 Acer, both 22"

I am in the processor of picking my parts for a new desktop to build, but am unfamiliar with the requirements for dual monitors...I've searched the forum and gotten tons of good advice, but I'd like to ask 2 questions to the all the gurus out there.....

1. I'm looking for a <$300 graphics card to run with a intel sandy bridge processor that is capable of running demanding FPS games and statistical software... on both monitors simultaneously. With my budget in mind, and games like Black Ops in hand, are there any standouts in the current market or soon to be (possibly debuted at CES)?

2. After choosing such a graphics card, processor, etc... what would be an adequate power supply? are we talking 700+ w here? I'd like to be safe rather than sorry when it comes to performance and power, so with the little info I've given (please ask for more details on whatever specs you may additionally need) what would be a ballpark PSU #?

Thank you in advance for making a noob feel welcome, look forward to your responses.....
a c 274 U Graphics card
January 29, 2011 7:34:04 PM

Any modern graphics card can attach and run your two monitors.

Most games will direct the output to the primary monitor, and not use both. The second monitor can still be used for e-mail, etc.

I would suggest a Nvidia based card which has CUDA capabilities. Some programs like Matlab can use CUDA for computational purposes. Check out your app.

Something like a GTX560 or GTX570 will give you good gameplay at 1920 x 1080. The 6950 is about the same class from ATI.
The market is very competitive; pick you price point, get a modern card, and you can't go wrong.
Don't anguish over differences.

A single quality PSU of 650W will power the strongest single graphics card made. Look for Seasonic, PC P&C, Corsair, XFX, and Antec to name a few.

m
l
January 29, 2011 9:37:47 PM

awesome advice..thanks a bunch....

......got one more for you....

in your opinions, are there cards coming out in the near future that would be "worth the wait" or are things regular enough in the industry that it's the traditional "buy it if you need it" ? ?

m
l
Related resources
a c 274 U Graphics card
January 29, 2011 9:47:48 PM

reardoma said:
awesome advice..thanks a bunch....

......got one more for you....

in your opinions, are there cards coming out in the near future that would be "worth the wait" or are things regular enough in the industry that it's the traditional "buy it if you need it" ? ?

Buy what you need today in graphics cards. The next generation is about a year off.

I might wait a bit on a SSD. gen3 ssd's will use cheaper 25nm parts, making them cheaper per gb, and a bit faster. I am waiting on that also.
A SSD is one fo the best performance improvers you can buy today.
m
l

Best solution

a c 232 U Graphics card
January 29, 2011 11:11:13 PM

To my mind the 560 and 570 offer about as good as you're gonna get for the immediate future. Under $300, that would be this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

SSD's have new versions coming out in May. For fastest reads, today there's the C300 for best read / write combo the Vertex 2 ... 120 GB Vertex is what I am putting in most builds.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

wahh was $199 yesterday

January 30, 2011 6:09:00 PM

geofelt said:
I would suggest a Nvidia based card which has CUDA capabilities. Some programs like Matlab can use CUDA for computational purposes.

For the past 4 months, I've been using Jacket for accelerating Matlab on the GPU. I started with a single GTX 280, and got 5X speedups for my neural network. Then, I swapped in 4 GTX 480s and am seeing a 17X improvement over my Core i7 750.

The guys here on Tom's HW ought take a look at Jacket for providing some GPU benchmarks. They have a really cool "gbench" that is free: http://www.accelereyes.com/gbench
m
l
February 5, 2011 11:18:27 PM

Best answer selected by reardoma.
m
l
!