New Web Site

I am putting up a new web site to be the home of VGA Planets 3 and 4
because I no longer have FTP access to BMT Micro's www.vgaplanets.com
site.

The new site is www.planets4.com, the site uses my comcast web space
and my wife's FTP space on her MAC.COM account.

Please have a look at www.planets4.com and test downloading.

You can test to see if host 194 downloads okay.

Tim
34 answers Last reply
More about site

    WOO HOO!!!!! from the bottom of my heart.

    only thing that I see as a problem is:

    New: Ships are not loaded up with ord or repair units when they are
    first built, you will have to load those items yourself.

    Pain in the hind end if I do say so myself... MUCH more
    micromanagement... not too mention ord based weapons won't work the
    first turn a ship is built... all else looks fine to me.

    GK

    No mention about new score system?

    Even though I agree that having to load RUs and Ord manually is a pain,
    I also understand where this comes from. Before the ship was filled up
    to the rim with them - which wasn't good either. So whatever Tim does,
    it would be "wrong".

    Suggestion: Put at least 500 Ord (if the base has enough) in each newly
    built ship, so a MF can be laid the next turn.

    Another suggestion: In the 'Parts Loadout' window (where you choose
    weapons, engines, hyp, shield, armor...) you can add an 'ord' section
    where you choose how much ord do you want in the ship (it would work
    like the 'armor' section).

    I dont remember exactly what building allows you to buy the armor
    plate, but IIRC in quick build ship you dont need to buy it in advance.
    It would be great if with 'quick build ship' you didn't needed to buy
    the ord in advance (nowadays you don't need to buy the armor plate in
    advance). It would remove some boring and unnecesary micromanagement.

    PD: I hope you can understand my english. I'm really trying to write as
    good as I can.

    Nyh wrote:
    > Another suggestion: In the 'Parts Loadout' window (where you choose
    > weapons, engines, hyp, shield, armor...) you can add an 'ord' section
    > where you choose how much ord do you want in the ship (it would work
    > like the 'armor' section).
    >
    > I dont remember exactly what building allows you to buy the armor
    > plate, but IIRC in quick build ship you dont need to buy it in advance.
    > It would be great if with 'quick build ship' you didn't needed to buy
    > the ord in advance (nowadays you don't need to buy the armor plate in
    > advance). It would remove some boring and unnecesary micromanagement.
    >
    > PD: I hope you can understand my english. I'm really trying to write as
    > good as I can.

    A good idea. Meanwhile I prefer the no ord loaded option over previous,
    even with the extra work.

    And nice to see a long list of fixes. Thanks Tim, appreciated.

    PS: Nyh your English is excellent. I have friends I wish were half as
    literate in it.

    Sparrow wrote:
    > Even though I agree that having to load RUs and Ord manually is a pain,
    > I also understand where this comes from. Before the ship was filled up
    > to the rim with them - which wasn't good either. So whatever Tim does,
    > it would be "wrong".
    >
    > Suggestion: Put at least 500 Ord (if the base has enough) in each newly
    > built ship, so a MF can be laid the next turn.

    Another suggestion:
    Load no ord on the ship, but instead *generally* allow an order to lay
    a minefield, even if the ord is not on board at the beginning of the
    turn.
    Btw. I've never seen any sense in this restriction. You lay mines at
    the end of turn, so why does this have to be dependend on the amount of
    ord, that you have on your ship at the beginning of the turn?

    Jochen

    Lots of good fixes in Host 194. Thanks, Tim!

    I had originally complained about ships being automatically loaded with
    ord. The problem was that new ships would take ord before existing
    ships could beam it up. In other words, if you had only 1000 ord on
    your base, and you tried to beam it up to a ship in orbit, then
    transfer might fail if you also built a new ship on the same turn.

    woo time to start taking prisoners :)
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    Downloads work fine. In fact they seem much faster.

    "cocomax" <cocomax@aol.com> wrote in message
    \
    > Please have a look at www.planets4.com and test downloading.
    >
    > You can test to see if host 194 downloads okay.
    >
    > Tim

  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    Was Master.exe fixed to allow type 21 Blue Giant stars? That wasn't
    specifically mentioned in the notes on Host 194.

    "cocomax" <cocomax@aol.com> wrote in message
    > I am putting up a new web site to be the home of VGA Planets 3 and 4
    > because I no longer have FTP access to BMT Micro's www.vgaplanets.com
    > site.
    >
    > The new site is www.planets4.com, the site uses my comcast web space
    > and my wife's FTP space on her MAC.COM account.
    >
    > Please have a look at www.planets4.com and test downloading.
    >
    > You can test to see if host 194 downloads okay.
    >
    > Tim

  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    Thanks Tim for all the hard work in the recent fixes!

    Have to agree with others about the ORD thingie. IT will now take three
    turns for a new minelayer to actually lay a minefield. First turn it
    appears, second turn it loads ord, and third turn (at the end of
    movement one might add) it can actually lay a minefield. Humbly ask
    that you fix this as Races, say like the Bots and crystals, really need
    to get their minefields working fast in order to protect themselves
    fromm fast moving races. Maybe the solution is as someone else has
    suggested, allow an option when building, like armour, to allocate Ord
    for the new ship(s).

    Thanks again Tim for the hard work,
    Robert
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    Other options:

    a) Limit how much Ord a ship can load first turn (to 500 or Max Ord)

    b) Allow Minelayers to lay Mines on a turn that they load Ord (ie if a ship
    starts a turn with 0 Ord but loads 1000 Ord it can lay a MF that turn).

    I like "b" the most (more consitent with how other loading of stuff works,
    like Ord for weapons or repair units that can be used that turn).

    No one is discussing the huge effect this change (no Ord on newly built
    ships) will have on planets beseiged by enemy fleets.

    You used to be able to build ten ships wth Photon Torpedoes to drive away
    the beseigers. Now you build ten ships that can't fire a shot with Ord
    weapons for the first turn.

    That is going to swing the balance a lot in favor of the Hyping races,
    particularly when the defender has no Grav Mines. The only way to get rid of
    that fleet now is with energy weapons or fighter wings.

    "soxee" <crooksy9@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Maybe the solution is as someone else has
    > suggested, allow an option when building, like armour, to allocate Ord
    > for the new ship(s).
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    Yes, I already stumbled over that point myself. Before, you could
    defend your homeworld even as a Fed against an early EE hyp attack by
    building lots of ships after the EE arrived (preferably exploding some
    previously layed barbs to disable the EE ships). You can still do that
    to kill the ships since heavy lasers aren't that bad a choice against
    the EE. But now, without ord, you can't use flake cannons to kill the
    fighters. The EE fighters will probably kill the defensive ships
    easily, preventing these ships from bombarding the EE assault base,
    which hands the unfortunate homeworld to the EE. This is NOT good.
    Automatically putting up to 500 ord in a new ship seems to be a good
    idea to circumvent this.
    Another alternative is allowing the AA guns to shoot again at fighters
    even if they have avoid base active (i.e. attack ground targets off).
    At least this wasn't the case when I last checked. This would have to
    change anyway or AA guns aren't worth anything.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    I'd be fine with new ships beaming up some ord as long as *old* ships
    have a chance to beam it up first.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    Or Rebels. Or even the RCS Type 3s which are good fighters and long range.

    "Lord Owl" <lord.owl@gmx.de> wrote in message
    > Yes, I already stumbled over that point myself. Before, you could
    > defend your homeworld even as a Fed against an early EE hyp attack
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    Yeah, I'm already working on this tactic and cant see why it wont work.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    And all PDs up to Level 5 need Ord, too ...
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    Which old ships? Only the old ships that beam up on tick 1 I presume (not
    ships coming from elsewhere and arriving on tick 87 or so)

    Not having really tested this yet in a real game (I only have one turn under
    the new host) I fear the no-ord-on-new-ships is going to result in a lot of
    futile building of ships that get blown up the turn they are made due to
    lack of any ammo on board.

    "Roger" <rogercnorris@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I'd be fine with new ships beaming up some ord as long as *old* ships
    > have a chance to beam it up first.

  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    There probably will never be one solution to fit all. It seems like
    more flexibility in the production of the ship needs to be enabled.
    Perhaps in addition to the build screen where you can select the
    components, when you click the build button that you are given a
    standard ship screen where you can set how much ordnance, repair, fuel,
    guests, cargo, scan settings, intercept, escort, fleet, speed, etc.
    setting that the ship should have when built. This would be
    interesting to see if you set an escort target of a fleet leader with
    maximum speed and it appears next turn heading towards the target.
    This would be like pods function now.

    Magik
  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    This has been brought up numerous times and I think having an extra
    'loadout' screen for ship building would be the best solution that MOST
    of picky nerds would appreciate. I think escort and ship speed is
    going a little too far. A simple transfer screen like what a normal
    ship has could be applied to quick ship plans and also be added to the
    normal ship building screen.... this sure would make my Christmas.... A
    TON of needless micromanagement could be avoided. :)
    General Kael

    PS. If people would really like this feature lets let Tim know...
  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    I would really like the above
  23. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    General Kael wrote:
    > This has been brought up numerous times and I think having an extra
    > 'loadout' screen for ship building would be the best solution that MOST
    > of picky nerds would appreciate. I think escort and ship speed is
    > going a little too far. A simple transfer screen like what a normal
    > ship has could be applied to quick ship plans and also be added to the
    > normal ship building screen.... this sure would make my Christmas.... A
    > TON of needless micromanagement could be avoided. :)
    > General Kael
    >
    > PS. If people would really like this feature lets let Tim know...

    Not having to set the Fuel, Ord, Rep, HG etc for several dozen or even
    several hundred ships per turn would be REALLY helpful. My fingers get numb!

    If Quickbuild could list these on the bases as it does with money and
    minerals that would be even nicer. I appreciate that the Quickbuild
    screen would probably have to be made bigger, but although it is still
    called VGA Planets, I doubt that anyone is still actually running the
    program in 640x480, so moving one (or some) of the screens up to 800x600
    shouldn't be a problem for anyone.

    I use some fairly old equipment and even I haven't got a 640x480 screen
    which still works. I've even just disposed of my last 800x600 because it
    doesn't work any more. But I know some people work in 800x600 because it
    is easier to see, particularly those of us in the older generations.
  24. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    I fully agree with this. A besieged world should have very low chances
    of freeing itself. This is after all a strategic warfare game. If one's
    not able to forsee the enemie's next 3-4 moves than he or she should
    maybe think about playing Doom 3 instead.

    Fabian
  25. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    I like that new build ships don't load automaticaly ord and RUs it makes
    people more aware of the fact that they have to build their ships in
    advance...

    no sense in building them when your enemy is one turn away ...

    Splitted

    "Black No1" <keineahnungwas@gmx.de> wrote in message

    > Sparrow wrote:
    >> Even though I agree that having to load RUs and Ord manually is a pain,
    >> I also understand where this comes from. Before the ship was filled up
    >> to the rim with them - which wasn't good either. So whatever Tim does,
    >> it would be "wrong".
    >>
    >> Suggestion: Put at least 500 Ord (if the base has enough) in each newly
    >> built ship, so a MF can be laid the next turn.
    >
    > Another suggestion:
    > Load no ord on the ship, but instead *generally* allow an order to lay
    > a minefield, even if the ord is not on board at the beginning of the
    > turn.
    > Btw. I've never seen any sense in this restriction. You lay mines at
    > the end of turn, so why does this have to be dependend on the amount of
    > ord, that you have on your ship at the beginning of the turn?
    >
    > Jochen

  26. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    I agree 100%. Splitted and I just wanted to point out that whining
    makes no sense and neither way (auto-ord-load or the present situation)
    is perfect.

    Fabian
  27. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    You might look at it that way. My main complain is the micromanagement,
    however. I think we can all agree that there is enough allready, so any way
    to reduce it, would be nice, wouldn´t you agree?

    So, if I could order the amount of fuel, ord, repairs, maybe even troops and
    HGs, a new build ship should load on completion (i.e. the turn it is build)
    via a quickbuild template or something similar, I would greatly appretiate
    it (this goes hand in hand with setting attack options, fleet orders,etc in
    advance).

    Ralph Hoenig, Germany

    "Fabian" <fabs42@yahoo.com> schrieb

    > I fully agree with this. A besieged world should have very low chances
    > of freeing itself. This is after all a strategic warfare game. If one's
    > not able to forsee the enemie's next 3-4 moves than he or she should
    > maybe think about playing Doom 3 instead.
    >
    > Fabian

  28. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    Splitted wrote:
    > I like that new build ships don't load automaticaly ord and RUs it makes
    > people more aware of the fact that they have to build their ships in
    > advance...
    >
    > no sense in building them when your enemy is one turn away ...
    >
    > Splitted

    If you can BUILD the ship while the enemy is in orbit I really don't see
    the problem with fitting ord and rep.

    Now making a blockaded world unable to build ships is a completely
    different matter. It would make things VERY interesting but I can't say
    that I would be in favour of it.
  29. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    You can't forsee where a hyping race will go in 3-4 moves. Well, maybe you
    can, I can't.

    "Fabian" <fabs42@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > I fully agree with this. A besieged world should have very low chances
    > of freeing itself. This is after all a strategic warfare game. If one's
    > not able to forsee the enemie's next 3-4 moves than he or she should
    > maybe think about playing Doom 3 instead.
    >
    > Fabian

  30. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    A blockaded world *is* unable to build ships, isn't it?
    There have to be at least 3 Ships of *one* enemy race over it, to set
    up the blockade. Ships of other races must'nt be there.

    Jochen
  31. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    I believe a blockaded world is only prevented from launching Pods.
  32. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    and buying/selling contraband...
  33. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    It is impossible to always forsee even two moves of ie.
    SuperStarCarriers and Destroyers (not to mention the infamous MCBRs -
    allthough only hyp range of 750 lys - but total range is 1130 lys per
    turn), since they have a hyp range of 850 lys, so in two turns they can
    travel over 1700 lys, the maximum scanrange of all ships available has
    the OFF-World-Colony with 1000 lys, which can be boosted to 1600 lys
    with all Scanning Exotics, we have not even to consider whether these
    ships would be able to notice the above mentioned ships in the
    outermost reaches of their scanrange, since they need not to be. And
    then we do assume that every race has access to the Off-World Colonies,
    if we are only considering the native hulls of a race, the range of
    maximum scan ranges would be from 910 (birds) to 1600 lys (peeps,
    slightly lower: Xtals, Sols... - Cents have 1380).
    And with that ie. the birds would not even be able to forsee one move
    of an MCBR, or odd things like a ShaiShans (or MCBRs) towing the above
    mentiioned SuperStarCarriers or Destroyers. And without hyp protection
    their whole empire as possible combat area once they see the strike
    force (provided that it is smaller than ie. 700 lys in radius). Ok he
    might not be able to scan ones whole empire when he comes near you, but
    even slimmer is the chance that you are able to bring enough forces to
    the point that wil be attacked, you do not know what the enemy does see
    and what not. And that even if your empire is much stronger, there is
    usually too much territory to cover. And then does anyone evacuate
    his/her bases which are in range of the enemies ships when he just
    sights SuperStarDestroyer or SuperStarCarriers etc.

    So conclusion we should all be playing Doom 3 instead, if we do agree
    with his observation.

    Beezle wrote:
    > You can't forsee where a hyping race will go in 3-4 moves. Well, maybe you
    > can, I can't.
    >

    > "Fabian" <fabs42@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > I fully agree with this. A besieged world should have very low chances
    > > of freeing itself. This is after all a strategic warfare game. If one's
    > > not able to forsee the enemie's next 3-4 moves than he or she should
    > > maybe think about playing Doom 3 instead.
    > >
    > > Fabian

  34. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    Splitted wrote:
    > I don't like micromanagement either, but I think I would be much better if
    > it
    > was easier to group really large groups of ships, because the group order to
    > load Ord and RUs already exist.

    Have you tried grouping large numbers of ships and giving them orders?
    Grouping them is tedious and RSI inducing and then most of them ignore
    your orders and the group falls apart and doesn't exist next turn. I'm
    not talking about 10 ships as a lot I'm talking about building several
    hundred ships per turn, all of which require things adding and subtracting.

FTP Video Games