New Web Site

Last response: in Video Games
September 6, 2005 3:01:40 AM

I am putting up a new web site to be the home of VGA Planets 3 and 4
because I no longer have FTP access to BMT Micro's www.vgaplanets.com
site.

The new site is www.planets4.com, the site uses my comcast web space
and my wife's FTP space on her MAC.COM account.

Please have a look at www.planets4.com and test downloading.

You can test to see if host 194 downloads okay.

Tim

More about : web site

Anonymous
September 6, 2005 3:30:15 AM

WOO HOO!!!!! from the bottom of my heart.

only thing that I see as a problem is:

New: Ships are not loaded up with ord or repair units when they are
first built, you will have to load those items yourself.

Pain in the hind end if I do say so myself... MUCH more
micromanagement... not too mention ord based weapons won't work the
first turn a ship is built... all else looks fine to me.

GK
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 5:17:39 AM

No mention about new score system?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
September 6, 2005 8:18:38 AM

Even though I agree that having to load RUs and Ord manually is a pain,
I also understand where this comes from. Before the ship was filled up
to the rim with them - which wasn't good either. So whatever Tim does,
it would be "wrong".

Suggestion: Put at least 500 Ord (if the base has enough) in each newly
built ship, so a MF can be laid the next turn.
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 8:46:21 AM

Another suggestion: In the 'Parts Loadout' window (where you choose
weapons, engines, hyp, shield, armor...) you can add an 'ord' section
where you choose how much ord do you want in the ship (it would work
like the 'armor' section).

I dont remember exactly what building allows you to buy the armor
plate, but IIRC in quick build ship you dont need to buy it in advance.
It would be great if with 'quick build ship' you didn't needed to buy
the ord in advance (nowadays you don't need to buy the armor plate in
advance). It would remove some boring and unnecesary micromanagement.

PD: I hope you can understand my english. I'm really trying to write as
good as I can.
September 6, 2005 10:07:40 AM

Nyh wrote:
> Another suggestion: In the 'Parts Loadout' window (where you choose
> weapons, engines, hyp, shield, armor...) you can add an 'ord' section
> where you choose how much ord do you want in the ship (it would work
> like the 'armor' section).
>
> I dont remember exactly what building allows you to buy the armor
> plate, but IIRC in quick build ship you dont need to buy it in advance.
> It would be great if with 'quick build ship' you didn't needed to buy
> the ord in advance (nowadays you don't need to buy the armor plate in
> advance). It would remove some boring and unnecesary micromanagement.
>
> PD: I hope you can understand my english. I'm really trying to write as
> good as I can.

A good idea. Meanwhile I prefer the no ord loaded option over previous,
even with the extra work.

And nice to see a long list of fixes. Thanks Tim, appreciated.

PS: Nyh your English is excellent. I have friends I wish were half as
literate in it.
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 11:36:51 AM

Sparrow wrote:
> Even though I agree that having to load RUs and Ord manually is a pain,
> I also understand where this comes from. Before the ship was filled up
> to the rim with them - which wasn't good either. So whatever Tim does,
> it would be "wrong".
>
> Suggestion: Put at least 500 Ord (if the base has enough) in each newly
> built ship, so a MF can be laid the next turn.

Another suggestion:
Load no ord on the ship, but instead *generally* allow an order to lay
a minefield, even if the ord is not on board at the beginning of the
turn.
Btw. I've never seen any sense in this restriction. You lay mines at
the end of turn, so why does this have to be dependend on the amount of
ord, that you have on your ship at the beginning of the turn?

Jochen
September 6, 2005 12:14:06 PM

Lots of good fixes in Host 194. Thanks, Tim!
September 6, 2005 12:16:59 PM

I had originally complained about ships being automatically loaded with
ord. The problem was that new ships would take ord before existing
ships could beam it up. In other words, if you had only 1000 ord on
your base, and you tried to beam it up to a ship in orbit, then
transfer might fail if you also built a new ship on the same turn.
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 2:05:27 PM

woo time to start taking prisoners :)
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 6:21:16 PM

Downloads work fine. In fact they seem much faster.

"cocomax" <cocomax@aol.com> wrote in message
\
> Please have a look at www.planets4.com and test downloading.
>
> You can test to see if host 194 downloads okay.
>
> Tim

Anonymous
September 6, 2005 6:21:25 PM

Was Master.exe fixed to allow type 21 Blue Giant stars? That wasn't
specifically mentioned in the notes on Host 194.

"cocomax" <cocomax@aol.com> wrote in message
> I am putting up a new web site to be the home of VGA Planets 3 and 4
> because I no longer have FTP access to BMT Micro's www.vgaplanets.com
> site.
>
> The new site is www.planets4.com, the site uses my comcast web space
> and my wife's FTP space on her MAC.COM account.
>
> Please have a look at www.planets4.com and test downloading.
>
> You can test to see if host 194 downloads okay.
>
> Tim

Anonymous
September 6, 2005 7:44:36 PM

Thanks Tim for all the hard work in the recent fixes!

Have to agree with others about the ORD thingie. IT will now take three
turns for a new minelayer to actually lay a minefield. First turn it
appears, second turn it loads ord, and third turn (at the end of
movement one might add) it can actually lay a minefield. Humbly ask
that you fix this as Races, say like the Bots and crystals, really need
to get their minefields working fast in order to protect themselves
fromm fast moving races. Maybe the solution is as someone else has
suggested, allow an option when building, like armour, to allocate Ord
for the new ship(s).

Thanks again Tim for the hard work,
Robert
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 3:12:30 AM

Other options:

a) Limit how much Ord a ship can load first turn (to 500 or Max Ord)

b) Allow Minelayers to lay Mines on a turn that they load Ord (ie if a ship
starts a turn with 0 Ord but loads 1000 Ord it can lay a MF that turn).

I like "b" the most (more consitent with how other loading of stuff works,
like Ord for weapons or repair units that can be used that turn).

No one is discussing the huge effect this change (no Ord on newly built
ships) will have on planets beseiged by enemy fleets.

You used to be able to build ten ships wth Photon Torpedoes to drive away
the beseigers. Now you build ten ships that can't fire a shot with Ord
weapons for the first turn.

That is going to swing the balance a lot in favor of the Hyping races,
particularly when the defender has no Grav Mines. The only way to get rid of
that fleet now is with energy weapons or fighter wings.

"soxee" <crooksy9@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Maybe the solution is as someone else has
> suggested, allow an option when building, like armour, to allocate Ord
> for the new ship(s).
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 6:31:14 AM

Yes, I already stumbled over that point myself. Before, you could
defend your homeworld even as a Fed against an early EE hyp attack by
building lots of ships after the EE arrived (preferably exploding some
previously layed barbs to disable the EE ships). You can still do that
to kill the ships since heavy lasers aren't that bad a choice against
the EE. But now, without ord, you can't use flake cannons to kill the
fighters. The EE fighters will probably kill the defensive ships
easily, preventing these ships from bombarding the EE assault base,
which hands the unfortunate homeworld to the EE. This is NOT good.
Automatically putting up to 500 ord in a new ship seems to be a good
idea to circumvent this.
Another alternative is allowing the AA guns to shoot again at fighters
even if they have avoid base active (i.e. attack ground targets off).
At least this wasn't the case when I last checked. This would have to
change anyway or AA guns aren't worth anything.
September 7, 2005 12:02:19 PM

I'd be fine with new ships beaming up some ord as long as *old* ships
have a chance to beam it up first.
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 6:08:25 PM

Or Rebels. Or even the RCS Type 3s which are good fighters and long range.

"Lord Owl" <lord.owl@gmx.de> wrote in message
> Yes, I already stumbled over that point myself. Before, you could
> defend your homeworld even as a Fed against an early EE hyp attack
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 7:00:53 PM

Yeah, I'm already working on this tactic and cant see why it wont work.
September 8, 2005 6:51:19 AM

And all PDs up to Level 5 need Ord, too ...
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 9:29:30 AM

Which old ships? Only the old ships that beam up on tick 1 I presume (not
ships coming from elsewhere and arriving on tick 87 or so)

Not having really tested this yet in a real game (I only have one turn under
the new host) I fear the no-ord-on-new-ships is going to result in a lot of
futile building of ships that get blown up the turn they are made due to
lack of any ammo on board.

"Roger" <rogercnorris@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'd be fine with new ships beaming up some ord as long as *old* ships
> have a chance to beam it up first.

September 8, 2005 10:45:06 AM

There probably will never be one solution to fit all. It seems like
more flexibility in the production of the ship needs to be enabled.
Perhaps in addition to the build screen where you can select the
components, when you click the build button that you are given a
standard ship screen where you can set how much ordnance, repair, fuel,
guests, cargo, scan settings, intercept, escort, fleet, speed, etc.
setting that the ship should have when built. This would be
interesting to see if you set an escort target of a fleet leader with
maximum speed and it appears next turn heading towards the target.
This would be like pods function now.

Magik
Anonymous
September 11, 2005 12:50:55 AM

This has been brought up numerous times and I think having an extra
'loadout' screen for ship building would be the best solution that MOST
of picky nerds would appreciate. I think escort and ship speed is
going a little too far. A simple transfer screen like what a normal
ship has could be applied to quick ship plans and also be added to the
normal ship building screen.... this sure would make my Christmas.... A
TON of needless micromanagement could be avoided. :)
General Kael

PS. If people would really like this feature lets let Tim know...
Anonymous
September 11, 2005 12:35:38 PM

I would really like the above
September 11, 2005 9:11:48 PM

General Kael wrote:
> This has been brought up numerous times and I think having an extra
> 'loadout' screen for ship building would be the best solution that MOST
> of picky nerds would appreciate. I think escort and ship speed is
> going a little too far. A simple transfer screen like what a normal
> ship has could be applied to quick ship plans and also be added to the
> normal ship building screen.... this sure would make my Christmas.... A
> TON of needless micromanagement could be avoided. :)
> General Kael
>
> PS. If people would really like this feature lets let Tim know...

Not having to set the Fuel, Ord, Rep, HG etc for several dozen or even
several hundred ships per turn would be REALLY helpful. My fingers get numb!

If Quickbuild could list these on the bases as it does with money and
minerals that would be even nicer. I appreciate that the Quickbuild
screen would probably have to be made bigger, but although it is still
called VGA Planets, I doubt that anyone is still actually running the
program in 640x480, so moving one (or some) of the screens up to 800x600
shouldn't be a problem for anyone.

I use some fairly old equipment and even I haven't got a 640x480 screen
which still works. I've even just disposed of my last 800x600 because it
doesn't work any more. But I know some people work in 800x600 because it
is easier to see, particularly those of us in the older generations.
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 6:21:53 AM

I fully agree with this. A besieged world should have very low chances
of freeing itself. This is after all a strategic warfare game. If one's
not able to forsee the enemie's next 3-4 moves than he or she should
maybe think about playing Doom 3 instead.

Fabian
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 3:04:32 PM

I like that new build ships don't load automaticaly ord and RUs it makes
people more aware of the fact that they have to build their ships in
advance...

no sense in building them when your enemy is one turn away ...

Splitted

"Black No1" <keineahnungwas@gmx.de> wrote in message

> Sparrow wrote:
>> Even though I agree that having to load RUs and Ord manually is a pain,
>> I also understand where this comes from. Before the ship was filled up
>> to the rim with them - which wasn't good either. So whatever Tim does,
>> it would be "wrong".
>>
>> Suggestion: Put at least 500 Ord (if the base has enough) in each newly
>> built ship, so a MF can be laid the next turn.
>
> Another suggestion:
> Load no ord on the ship, but instead *generally* allow an order to lay
> a minefield, even if the ord is not on board at the beginning of the
> turn.
> Btw. I've never seen any sense in this restriction. You lay mines at
> the end of turn, so why does this have to be dependend on the amount of
> ord, that you have on your ship at the beginning of the turn?
>
> Jochen

Anonymous
September 12, 2005 8:55:02 PM

I agree 100%. Splitted and I just wanted to point out that whining
makes no sense and neither way (auto-ord-load or the present situation)
is perfect.

Fabian
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 9:23:40 PM

You might look at it that way. My main complain is the micromanagement,
however. I think we can all agree that there is enough allready, so any way
to reduce it, would be nice, wouldn´t you agree?

So, if I could order the amount of fuel, ord, repairs, maybe even troops and
HGs, a new build ship should load on completion (i.e. the turn it is build)
via a quickbuild template or something similar, I would greatly appretiate
it (this goes hand in hand with setting attack options, fleet orders,etc in
advance).

Ralph Hoenig, Germany

"Fabian" <fabs42@yahoo.com> schrieb

> I fully agree with this. A besieged world should have very low chances
> of freeing itself. This is after all a strategic warfare game. If one's
> not able to forsee the enemie's next 3-4 moves than he or she should
> maybe think about playing Doom 3 instead.
>
> Fabian

September 13, 2005 5:19:10 AM

Splitted wrote:
> I like that new build ships don't load automaticaly ord and RUs it makes
> people more aware of the fact that they have to build their ships in
> advance...
>
> no sense in building them when your enemy is one turn away ...
>
> Splitted

If you can BUILD the ship while the enemy is in orbit I really don't see
the problem with fitting ord and rep.

Now making a blockaded world unable to build ships is a completely
different matter. It would make things VERY interesting but I can't say
that I would be in favour of it.
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 7:54:34 AM

You can't forsee where a hyping race will go in 3-4 moves. Well, maybe you
can, I can't.

"Fabian" <fabs42@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> I fully agree with this. A besieged world should have very low chances
> of freeing itself. This is after all a strategic warfare game. If one's
> not able to forsee the enemie's next 3-4 moves than he or she should
> maybe think about playing Doom 3 instead.
>
> Fabian

Anonymous
September 13, 2005 9:06:10 AM

A blockaded world *is* unable to build ships, isn't it?
There have to be at least 3 Ships of *one* enemy race over it, to set
up the blockade. Ships of other races must'nt be there.

Jochen
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 9:47:56 AM

I believe a blockaded world is only prevented from launching Pods.
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 1:15:03 PM

and buying/selling contraband...
September 13, 2005 2:37:37 PM

It is impossible to always forsee even two moves of ie.
SuperStarCarriers and Destroyers (not to mention the infamous MCBRs -
allthough only hyp range of 750 lys - but total range is 1130 lys per
turn), since they have a hyp range of 850 lys, so in two turns they can
travel over 1700 lys, the maximum scanrange of all ships available has
the OFF-World-Colony with 1000 lys, which can be boosted to 1600 lys
with all Scanning Exotics, we have not even to consider whether these
ships would be able to notice the above mentioned ships in the
outermost reaches of their scanrange, since they need not to be. And
then we do assume that every race has access to the Off-World Colonies,
if we are only considering the native hulls of a race, the range of
maximum scan ranges would be from 910 (birds) to 1600 lys (peeps,
slightly lower: Xtals, Sols... - Cents have 1380).
And with that ie. the birds would not even be able to forsee one move
of an MCBR, or odd things like a ShaiShans (or MCBRs) towing the above
mentiioned SuperStarCarriers or Destroyers. And without hyp protection
their whole empire as possible combat area once they see the strike
force (provided that it is smaller than ie. 700 lys in radius). Ok he
might not be able to scan ones whole empire when he comes near you, but
even slimmer is the chance that you are able to bring enough forces to
the point that wil be attacked, you do not know what the enemy does see
and what not. And that even if your empire is much stronger, there is
usually too much territory to cover. And then does anyone evacuate
his/her bases which are in range of the enemies ships when he just
sights SuperStarDestroyer or SuperStarCarriers etc.

So conclusion we should all be playing Doom 3 instead, if we do agree
with his observation.

Beezle wrote:
> You can't forsee where a hyping race will go in 3-4 moves. Well, maybe you
> can, I can't.
>

> "Fabian" <fabs42@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >
> > I fully agree with this. A besieged world should have very low chances
> > of freeing itself. This is after all a strategic warfare game. If one's
> > not able to forsee the enemie's next 3-4 moves than he or she should
> > maybe think about playing Doom 3 instead.
> >
> > Fabian

September 13, 2005 11:19:45 PM

Splitted wrote:
> I don't like micromanagement either, but I think I would be much better if
> it
> was easier to group really large groups of ships, because the group order to
> load Ord and RUs already exist.

Have you tried grouping large numbers of ships and giving them orders?
Grouping them is tedious and RSI inducing and then most of them ignore
your orders and the group falls apart and doesn't exist next turn. I'm
not talking about 10 ships as a lot I'm talking about building several
hundred ships per turn, all of which require things adding and subtracting.
!