I am putting up a new web site to be the home of VGA Planets 3 and 4
because I no longer have FTP access to BMT Micro's www.vgaplanets.com
site.

The new site is www.planets4.com, the site uses my comcast web space
and my wife's FTP space on her MAC.COM account.

Please have a look at www.planets4.com and test downloading.

You can test to see if host 194 downloads okay.

Tim

WOO HOO!!!!! from the bottom of my heart.

only thing that I see as a problem is:

New: Ships are not loaded up with ord or repair units when they are
first built, you will have to load those items yourself.

Pain in the hind end if I do say so myself... MUCH more
micromanagement... not too mention ord based weapons won't work the
first turn a ship is built... all else looks fine to me.

GK

Sparrow

Even though I agree that having to load RUs and Ord manually is a pain,
I also understand where this comes from. Before the ship was filled up
to the rim with them - which wasn't good either. So whatever Tim does,
it would be "wrong".

Suggestion: Put at least 500 Ord (if the base has enough) in each newly
built ship, so a MF can be laid the next turn.

Another suggestion: In the 'Parts Loadout' window (where you choose
weapons, engines, hyp, shield, armor...) you can add an 'ord' section
where you choose how much ord do you want in the ship (it would work
like the 'armor' section).

I dont remember exactly what building allows you to buy the armor
plate, but IIRC in quick build ship you dont need to buy it in advance.
It would be great if with 'quick build ship' you didn't needed to buy
the ord in advance (nowadays you don't need to buy the armor plate in
advance). It would remove some boring and unnecesary micromanagement.

PD: I hope you can understand my english. I'm really trying to write as
good as I can.

Smiley

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2004

Nyh wrote:
> Another suggestion: In the 'Parts Loadout' window (where you choose
> weapons, engines, hyp, shield, armor...) you can add an 'ord' section
> where you choose how much ord do you want in the ship (it would work
> like the 'armor' section).
>
> I dont remember exactly what building allows you to buy the armor
> plate, but IIRC in quick build ship you dont need to buy it in advance.
> It would be great if with 'quick build ship' you didn't needed to buy
> the ord in advance (nowadays you don't need to buy the armor plate in
> advance). It would remove some boring and unnecesary micromanagement.
>
> PD: I hope you can understand my english. I'm really trying to write as
> good as I can.

A good idea. Meanwhile I prefer the no ord loaded option over previous,
even with the extra work.

And nice to see a long list of fixes. Thanks Tim, appreciated.

PS: Nyh your English is excellent. I have friends I wish were half as
literate in it.

Sparrow wrote:
> Even though I agree that having to load RUs and Ord manually is a pain,
> I also understand where this comes from. Before the ship was filled up
> to the rim with them - which wasn't good either. So whatever Tim does,
> it would be "wrong".
>
> Suggestion: Put at least 500 Ord (if the base has enough) in each newly
> built ship, so a MF can be laid the next turn.

Another suggestion:
Load no ord on the ship, but instead *generally* allow an order to lay
a minefield, even if the ord is not on board at the beginning of the
turn.
Btw. I've never seen any sense in this restriction. You lay mines at
the end of turn, so why does this have to be dependend on the amount of
ord, that you have on your ship at the beginning of the turn?

Jochen

Roger

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I had originally complained about ships being automatically loaded with
ord. The problem was that new ships would take ord before existing
ships could beam it up. In other words, if you had only 1000 ord on
your base, and you tried to beam it up to a ship in orbit, then
transfer might fail if you also built a new ship on the same turn.

Downloads work fine. In fact they seem much faster.

"cocomax" <cocomax@aol.com> wrote in message
\
> Please have a look at www.planets4.com and test downloading.
>
> You can test to see if host 194 downloads okay.
>
> Tim

Was Master.exe fixed to allow type 21 Blue Giant stars? That wasn't
specifically mentioned in the notes on Host 194.

"cocomax" <cocomax@aol.com> wrote in message
> I am putting up a new web site to be the home of VGA Planets 3 and 4
> because I no longer have FTP access to BMT Micro's www.vgaplanets.com
> site.
>
> The new site is www.planets4.com, the site uses my comcast web space
> and my wife's FTP space on her MAC.COM account.
>
> Please have a look at www.planets4.com and test downloading.
>
> You can test to see if host 194 downloads okay.
>
> Tim

Thanks Tim for all the hard work in the recent fixes!

Have to agree with others about the ORD thingie. IT will now take three
turns for a new minelayer to actually lay a minefield. First turn it
appears, second turn it loads ord, and third turn (at the end of
movement one might add) it can actually lay a minefield. Humbly ask
that you fix this as Races, say like the Bots and crystals, really need
to get their minefields working fast in order to protect themselves
fromm fast moving races. Maybe the solution is as someone else has
suggested, allow an option when building, like armour, to allocate Ord
for the new ship(s).

Thanks again Tim for the hard work,
Robert

Other options:

a) Limit how much Ord a ship can load first turn (to 500 or Max Ord)

b) Allow Minelayers to lay Mines on a turn that they load Ord (ie if a ship
starts a turn with 0 Ord but loads 1000 Ord it can lay a MF that turn).

I like "b" the most (more consitent with how other loading of stuff works,
like Ord for weapons or repair units that can be used that turn).

No one is discussing the huge effect this change (no Ord on newly built
ships) will have on planets beseiged by enemy fleets.

You used to be able to build ten ships wth Photon Torpedoes to drive away
the beseigers. Now you build ten ships that can't fire a shot with Ord
weapons for the first turn.

That is going to swing the balance a lot in favor of the Hyping races,
particularly when the defender has no Grav Mines. The only way to get rid of
that fleet now is with energy weapons or fighter wings.

"soxee" <crooksy9@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Maybe the solution is as someone else has
> suggested, allow an option when building, like armour, to allocate Ord
> for the new ship(s).

Yes, I already stumbled over that point myself. Before, you could
defend your homeworld even as a Fed against an early EE hyp attack by
building lots of ships after the EE arrived (preferably exploding some
previously layed barbs to disable the EE ships). You can still do that
to kill the ships since heavy lasers aren't that bad a choice against
the EE. But now, without ord, you can't use flake cannons to kill the
fighters. The EE fighters will probably kill the defensive ships
easily, preventing these ships from bombarding the EE assault base,
which hands the unfortunate homeworld to the EE. This is NOT good.
Automatically putting up to 500 ord in a new ship seems to be a good
idea to circumvent this.
Another alternative is allowing the AA guns to shoot again at fighters
even if they have avoid base active (i.e. attack ground targets off).
At least this wasn't the case when I last checked. This would have to
change anyway or AA guns aren't worth anything.

Or Rebels. Or even the RCS Type 3s which are good fighters and long range.

"Lord Owl" <lord.owl@gmx.de> wrote in message
> Yes, I already stumbled over that point myself. Before, you could
> defend your homeworld even as a Fed against an early EE hyp attack

Yeah, I'm already working on this tactic and cant see why it wont work.

Which old ships? Only the old ships that beam up on tick 1 I presume (not
ships coming from elsewhere and arriving on tick 87 or so)

Not having really tested this yet in a real game (I only have one turn under
the new host) I fear the no-ord-on-new-ships is going to result in a lot of
futile building of ships that get blown up the turn they are made due to
lack of any ammo on board.

"Roger" <rogercnorris@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'd be fine with new ships beaming up some ord as long as *old* ships
> have a chance to beam it up first.

Magik

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2004

There probably will never be one solution to fit all. It seems like
more flexibility in the production of the ship needs to be enabled.
Perhaps in addition to the build screen where you can select the
components, when you click the build button that you are given a
standard ship screen where you can set how much ordnance, repair, fuel,
guests, cargo, scan settings, intercept, escort, fleet, speed, etc.
setting that the ship should have when built. This would be
interesting to see if you set an escort target of a fleet leader with
maximum speed and it appears next turn heading towards the target.
This would be like pods function now.

Magik

This has been brought up numerous times and I think having an extra
'loadout' screen for ship building would be the best solution that MOST
of picky nerds would appreciate. I think escort and ship speed is
going a little too far. A simple transfer screen like what a normal
ship has could be applied to quick ship plans and also be added to the
normal ship building screen.... this sure would make my Christmas.... A
TON of needless micromanagement could be avoided. :)
General Kael

PS. If people would really like this feature lets let Tim know...

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

General Kael wrote:
> This has been brought up numerous times and I think having an extra
> 'loadout' screen for ship building would be the best solution that MOST
> of picky nerds would appreciate. I think escort and ship speed is
> going a little too far. A simple transfer screen like what a normal
> ship has could be applied to quick ship plans and also be added to the
> normal ship building screen.... this sure would make my Christmas.... A
> TON of needless micromanagement could be avoided. :)
> General Kael
>
> PS. If people would really like this feature lets let Tim know...

Not having to set the Fuel, Ord, Rep, HG etc for several dozen or even
several hundred ships per turn would be REALLY helpful. My fingers get numb!

If Quickbuild could list these on the bases as it does with money and
minerals that would be even nicer. I appreciate that the Quickbuild
screen would probably have to be made bigger, but although it is still
called VGA Planets, I doubt that anyone is still actually running the
program in 640x480, so moving one (or some) of the screens up to 800x600
shouldn't be a problem for anyone.

I use some fairly old equipment and even I haven't got a 640x480 screen
which still works. I've even just disposed of my last 800x600 because it
doesn't work any more. But I know some people work in 800x600 because it
is easier to see, particularly those of us in the older generations.

I fully agree with this. A besieged world should have very low chances
of freeing itself. This is after all a strategic warfare game. If one's
not able to forsee the enemie's next 3-4 moves than he or she should
maybe think about playing Doom 3 instead.

Fabian