Rv Park Snooper

woodenbear

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2010
I live in an RV park which has Public WiFi which is free to me. We recently got a new manager who has taken it apon himself to snoop at what everyone is doing online. I am a disabled person who spends hours on my computer sometimes and I love doing 3D artwork been a hobby for a long time now. Well I have probably about $4500.00 dollars worth of models and other art supplies which add up to over 26gig of space. I keep copies of this stuff on a Virtual Storage space at about 9.00 a month. Well after updating to windows 7 I started downloading my stuff from the online storage and the mamager complains that I am downloading to much which he has unlimited use of his WiFi. Well now I am afraid to download anything as he might be snooping and complain. I was wondering is there a way to hide me from his curious eyes, would hiding my MAC address help. Any suggestions would be appreciated...

G

I don't suppose he can actually see your stuff -- he would be aware that your online because your MAC ID would show up in the router's list of attached devices even if you hide your SSID. You might look at spoofing MAC but if your pattern of use remains the same he'll probably spot it's you. Just make sure you have a Password on Windows and deploy Windows Firewall.

I would also try to accommodate him by using the computer more when he's not likely to be using it.

woodenbear

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2010
I don't suppose he can actually see your stuff -- he would be aware that your online because your MAC ID would show up in the router's list of attached devices even if you hide your SSID. You might look at spoofing MAC but if your pattern of use remains the same he'll probably spot it's you. Just make sure you have a Password on Windows and deploy Windows Firewall.

I would also try to accommodate him by using the computer more when he's not likely to be using it.

I only use my computer at night lately and am really seriously ready to get my own acount. He was upset when I said that as he says what did he put all this equipment in if we all get our own....Thank you for your fast response...