How to build a decent gaming PC

sabrehagen

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
Hi Guys,

I've started a new topic because I feel that with the rate at which technology moves, old posts I've been reading may be out of date by now, and the information I'm reading might be misleading.

At the moment I'm looking to build a new PC that will last me a good 5 years. I was once up on motherboards but with the rate that they're changing, I'm fast out of date. So, I was wondering if you experts could assist me in finding a motherboard (and to an extent, RAM) that will suit me. I'm pretty set on buying an i7 2600k, so that component will need to be compatible with the motherboard. I don't know if the i5 version of the same processor has significantly less performance but I'm reading up on that now. I'm looking to get a decent overclock out of the processor, and I'd like a motherboard that has 'intelligent' overclocking if possible. I have a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3P at the moment and it has a tweaker where you set the desired clock speed and it automatically sets the best RAM timings. I have seen this kind of thing becoming more popular on newer boards but I don't know how standard it is nowadays.

I already have an Agility 3 120GB SSD and a separate 1.5TB data drive. I have one ATI HD 6950 and am planning to get a second for Crossfire, so the board needs to be crossfire compatible. From my limited understanding of motherboards, it's the chipset that defines it's power and scalability. Is this right? Therefore manufacturers mightn't matter because they all probably have their own configuration using the same chipset. I'm leaning towards MSI or GIGABYTE as from what I have read they are good overclockable boards - correct me if I'm wrong or there's a better brand for this.

I hope there's enough information here for you to help me select the right motherboard. Thanks for your help in advance!

sabrehagen

szbxa

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
i7 2600K is pointless compared to i5 2500k, which costs $100 less and has almost the same performance as i7.
for mobo, a good Z68 would do the job. There's no need to spend extra money as motherboard has no impact on performance whatsoever. MSI and GIGABYTE are both good choice, but you should also consider ASUS or ASROCK or EVGA, they all make decent boards.
Your setup will not last you 5 years if you are hoping to play all games on highest. spend half the money now, wait for 3 years, then spend the other half. Right now, it doesn't take much to play most games on highest details on 1080p. a single 6870 with an i5 2500k, 4GB of ram, no SSD, a $90 board with a $50 PSU would be good for quite a while :)

TRENDING THREADS