Sign in with
Your question

Where'd my display go?

Last response: in Systems
April 3, 2011 7:33:54 PM

Earlier I tried rigging up a dual display with my broken laptop and my homebuilt system. The laptop has been stuck in a boot-loop for years. I didn't really expect the dual display setup to work but was just screwing around. Now, I can't get get my old display to come on anymore!

I've tried every variety of vga/dvi plugged into either port on my Gigabyte 5850. It's the same thing: no signal. I've tried my card in another slot: no signal. The machine boots fine and the monitor turns on: no signal. ACK!

Is it possible that my malfunctioning laptop fried my beautiful GPU? If so, break it to me gently because I'm near tears thinking about it. What the heck is going on?

My system:

GIGABYTE GA-790XTA-UD4 AM3 AMD 790X SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

GIGABYTE GV-R585OC-1GD Radeon HD 5850 (Cypress Pro) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video ...

ASUS VH236H Black 23" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen Full HD 1080P LCD Monitor

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM

More about : display

April 3, 2011 7:56:01 PM

Do you have 1 or 2 monitors on your PC?

Did you have just the 1 you tried on the laptop?

If all you did was plug your monitor into the laptop then back to your PC... there is no way for your laptop to damage your video card in your PC.

I am thinking the your OS simply removed the display you unplugged from it's list of available hardware to use...

can you see the POST?

Can you get to BIOS settings?

Can you get to alternate boot settings by pressing F8 after POST? If so... Enable VGA

If you only have one monitor... then disconnect the power... hit the power button on your case to turn the machine on and drain any energized capacitors. Then clear your cmos.

If you can see the POST... F^ and Enable VGA... then if it will boot that way, re-install your video drivers.

Best Wishes And Good Luck
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 3, 2011 8:09:11 PM

itserenity said:

If all you did was plug your monitor into the laptop then back to your PC... there is no way for your laptop to damage your video card in your PC.

I am thinking the your OS simply removed the display you unplugged from it's list of available hardware to use...

can you see the POST?

Can you get to alternate boot settings by pressing F8 after POST? If so... Enable VGA

If you only have one monitor... then disconnect the power... hit the power button on your case to turn the machine on and drain any energized capacitors. Then clear your cmos.

If you can see the POST... F^ and Enable VGA... then if it will boot that way, re-install your video drivers.

So you didn't actually read his post did you?
m
l
April 3, 2011 8:19:56 PM

itserenity said:

can you see the POST?

I can't see POST or get to BIOS- well, I'm sure I could if I could see it. I've never had any display but the one monitor. I've cleared CMOS, but I still can't see anything.
m
l
!