Sign in with
Your question

Where is the bottleneck?

Last response: in Systems
April 3, 2011 9:50:40 PM

Hi folks

I need opinions on where the bottleneck of my system is.
My setup is:
Core I7 2600K overclocked to 4400 mhz
ASUS P7P68 Deluxe
8 GB 1600 mhz Kingston
OCZ vers 2 240 gb
2 x ASUS Geforce GTX 560 in SLI

I using a program called PAVTUBE blurayripper to backup my blurays to disc.

It takes from 45 min to 2 hours 30 min to rip and convert a disc to mp4.
I wonder why the CPU is never above 30%. ANy suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Mogens

More about : bottleneck

a b B Homebuilt system
a b Ĉ ASUS
April 3, 2011 9:57:08 PM

When you look in task manager is the load spread evenly between two cores or are 3 cores running at full and the rest idling? What hard drive do you have? That is often one of the slowest parts, especially for large items like bluray movies, it will likely have to rip to HDD, then move to RAM, convert, and send back to the HDD. Check what your memor usage is like while its running, if its only a 32 bit program it wont be able to make use of all 8 GB of memory but if its using the full 2GB allowed for a 32 bit application its going to be calling back to the hard drive alot.
April 3, 2011 10:00:45 PM

The harddrive is a OCZ v 2 240 GB. Its a SSD drive. All 4 cores are active at appx. the same level. The memory usage is under 2 GB.
Related resources
April 4, 2011 12:08:46 AM

Sounds like a bandwidth issue, either memory or io (disk). There's not much you can do to relieve this with your system, it's just a matter of your cpu being able to process it faster than data can be moved back and forth. If it's being read from a blueray disk the disk drive is probably the bottleneck.
April 4, 2011 5:15:29 AM

OK, then its probably a memory problem. I tried copying a blueray disc to the harddrive, and then start the conversion to mp4. Same story, same time.
a b B Homebuilt system
April 4, 2011 5:44:03 AM

Most blu-ray drives are slow. The bottleneck is almost certainly the read speed of the drive itself.
April 4, 2011 5:54:20 AM

welshmousepk said:
Most blu-ray drives are slow. The bottleneck is almost certainly the read speed of the drive itself.

No. Perhaps i was not clear enough. But in the message preceeding your message, i told that when i try the conversion from my harddrive (SSD), i get the same results as when i try the conversion directly from the bd.
a b B Homebuilt system
April 4, 2011 6:16:37 AM

I would recommend trying s different program then. Try handbrake to see if the speed is improved.
!