Sign in with
Your question

Graphics - NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 30, 2011 2:12:45 AM

Hello,
i have an acer laptop 7720g and the graphic card has failed, i have 2 split screens and different coloured vertical lines. The card is
NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
is there any card that i can actually get hold of that i can replace mine with. The only one i can find is second hand and 150 euros.
January 30, 2011 2:40:37 AM

That laptop uses an MXM video card, which is a standard form factor. I found the card on eBay for US$80. The socket, screw holes, and heatsink mounting holes are all in standard locations. The only thing that usually varies is the length. Some Asus and Alienware MXM cards have weird widths too, but if you stay in the same performance range, you should be fine. A 8400m / 9300m / Radeon HD 2300 should all physically fit and work. Depending on your clearances in the MXM bay on your laptop, it might accomodate a physically larger card, but you have to be careful, because some cards will pull more power and have higher thermal specs, and the laptop might not like that.

January 30, 2011 3:16:18 AM

mavroxur said:
That laptop uses an MXM video card, which is a standard form factor. I found the card on eBay for US$80. The socket, screw holes, and heatsink mounting holes are all in standard locations. The only thing that usually varies is the length. Some Asus and Alienware MXM cards have weird widths too, but if you stay in the same performance range, you should be fine. A 8400m / 9300m / Radeon HD 2300 should all physically fit and work. Depending on your clearances in the MXM bay on your laptop, it might accomodate a physically larger card, but you have to be careful, because some cards will pull more power and have higher thermal specs, and the laptop might not like that.

i initially got another 8400m card fron ebay for £80 but when i fit it i had the same problems. i returned it and the guy did give a refund but im having bother getting another the same. I have acces to another laptop the same and swapped the cards over and it worked ok so im sure the fault is the card. ill search for the other 2 cards you have suggested.
Related resources
January 30, 2011 9:43:42 AM

hi ive got ne on ebay it says sometimes the bios has to be changed, do you know if ill have to do this. i checked the bios and cannot see referance to a graphic card anywhere.
here is the card i think im going to order. thanks.

Nvidia 9300M GS Acer Aspire 5930 5930G MXM Video Card
January 30, 2011 4:24:48 PM

As far as I know it shouldn't matter. I've swapped MXM cards before and never had an issue. Video cards have their own BIOS, so the system BIOS shouldn't matter. If anyone else has any input i'd like to see it, because i'm not 100% certain on this, but from my experience it's never been an issue.
January 30, 2011 6:47:34 PM

thanks for the help
!