Sign in with
Your question

Graphics card noise - short 8pin & 4pin cables

Last response: in Components
July 6, 2011 6:13:01 AM

Hi!

I just put together a new system, and the 4pin and 8pin connectors to the graphics card barely reach the card - actually, more like they don't reach. I'm a bit silly, so I plugged the thing in anyway - I had to tug the card towards the PSU a little to get them to slot in.

The plugs are in firmly but they are tugging at the card, pulling it upwards slightly. The system actually runs great, and temperature wise the GPU is fine, with load or without. However - there is a high-pitched whining noise, especially then the card is under heavy load. The whine does not come from any of the fans, and it changes in pitch pretty much instantly as GPU usage rises or falls.

Now I know I've been impatient, and I have ordered some extensions to these connectors which I will be able to pick up very soon. But will this fix my problem? Could it be that the cables are pulling the slack out of the card and causing it (or, capacitors?) to whine like this? Maybe voltage-related? Or, is this possibly a fault on the card itself?

I'm really hoping it's the former, but I really need to rule out all other possibilities before I get it replaced.

The GPU is a gigabyte ATI Radeon HD6970, and the PSU in question in a gigabyte Odin 720W.

Thank you for help in advance!! :) 
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
July 6, 2011 6:36:39 AM

I'm a little confused-- you have a 4-pin connector on your 6970? Are you using cables coming directly from your PSU? In any event, there should not be any tension on the card from those cables. I've never seen cables that couldn't reach a video card either, bottom- or (as it sounds in your case) top-mounted. Could you post a picture to illustrate what's going on?
July 6, 2011 6:56:00 AM

Hi,

Apologies... my mistake, it is actually a 6 pin connector, not a 4 pin. Though yes, I am using the cables from the PSU directly and that PSU happens to be top-mounted.

However, the cables just really aren't long enough! the case is very large though, and there is a fair bit of distance between the actual PSU and the top of the mainboard.

I cannot provide an image right now (at work), but the cables are coming from the top and tugging the card upwards (being a rather long card, it does bend slightly... ouch). I'll be able to post an image later this afternoon.
!