My dvd drive doesn't work on the same rail as my graphic card but will

dhruv990

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
I just found out that my dvd drive doesn't work on the same rail as my graphic card, when I plugged it into the spare connection that was available alongside my HDD it worked fine along with my graphic card. Now I wanted to ask can I add another HDD into the SATA power socket that was earlier failing to power my DVD Drive or will my HDD also not work? My DVD Drive would work with no trouble if I took out the graphic card.

soest009

Distinguished
May 9, 2011
Most probably that rail does not have sufficient power to power both VGA and DVD drive.
But to be sure as IH8U asked please state the exact components you are using like PSU / VGA / DVD.

dhruv990

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
I'm using an Indian Brand PSU, don't remember which exactly. Lite-on DVD Writer with lightscribe, and a Zotac 9500 GT 1 GB DDR2. I don't know how they both used the same rails, However I had posted a question about the dvd writer not working with the graphics card and someone suggested that they both are being powered by the same rail. So I just changed the power cord and now my HDD and The DVD are being powered by the same set of wires(came prespliced)

dhruv990

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010

Even I'm confused, all I know is that my PSU is some weird brand that does weird things. With the old cable power cable that I had plugged into the dvd drive, the dvd drive would not work as long as the graphics card was installed. As soon as I removed it the dvd drive worked. Now I realised I had a spare SATA power connector lying around(it's supposedly coming out from the same set of wires that has another sata power cable that's plugged into my hard drive) by plugging this spare cable into my dvd drive, my dvd drive works fine even though my graphics card is installed.

Randomacts

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010

Well higher end graphics cards require extra PCI power... but those plugs would never fit into a DVD drive

dhruv990

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010

If it was a bad cable it shouldn't have worked when I plugged out the graphic card.

soest009

Distinguished
May 9, 2011

And slightly older video cards made use of molex connectors to power the video cards, i expected that was the case.

dhruv990

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010

Sorry I forgot to add "with the old cable" to "My DVD Drive would work with no trouble if I took out the graphic card" in the opening post.

soest009

Distinguished
May 9, 2011

The information about the type of video card was not available to me when i posted it.
Just after my post he mentioned the type of video card he is using ;)
On a side note there are 9500GT cards that require external power which are delivered with a 6pin to molex converter cables.