Low-latency PC for music production

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Latency
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
April 3, 2011 10:09:20 PM

Hello from Denmark :) 

I'm looking to build a new system, using Intels new Sandy Bridge CPU.

My main focus is audio production, so I would need a PC with low DPC-latency and lots of RAM :) 
And I need it to be quiet too. I won't be using it for gaming.
My sound card uses FireWire, so that's a requirement.

Would I be right in asuming that the H67 chipset will have a lower latency than P67, because of the inergrated graphics?

My parts list for now is:

Win7 Pro 64bit

Case: Lian-Li PC-B25S
PSU: Sea Sonic X-400

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H67A-UD3H-B3 (rev. 1.1)
CPU: Intel i7 2600K (Fitted with Cooler Master Hyper Z600 cooler)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4x4 GB (16 GB)
SSD's: OCZ Vertex 3 240/ OCZ Vertex 3 120
HDD: WD Caviar Black WD1502FAEX
1 DVD-burner/ 1 Card-reader

The only Mobo I could find with the H67 chipset that also had a FireWire port is the Gigabyte GA-H67A-UD3H-B3.
Do any of you own this, or have any past experience with the DPC-latency of Gigabyte Mobo's?

Please feel free to give advice or recommendations :) 

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

More about : low latency music production

April 4, 2011 10:49:08 AM

Use and ASIO driver if you are using onboard sound but you should invest in a good sound card,M-AUDIO/AVID do some very good quality cards and are cheap.
m
l
April 4, 2011 11:07:36 AM

You can't just get an ASIO driver for on-board sound, the hardware has to support it. Don't limit your motherboard selection to just on-board fire-wire, an add-in board will more than suffice with any motherboard on the market. When you get your system put together, try this site... http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

m
l
April 4, 2011 2:43:34 PM

MartyS:
I have a dedicated recording sound card by TC-Electronics, which is connected via FireWire.

Marcellis22:
I know that I can add FireWire as a PCI card, but I would rather have it as an on-board feature.
I am aware that I can check the latency after assembly, but if I could get an idea of the latency before I buy, I could save some headaches.

What about P67 vs H67, any pros or cons?
Gigabyte's P67UD7 vs H67UD3?
Will the extra power phases of the P67UD7 give any noticable advantage, or is it just hot air?

If any of you have a P/H67 mobo, please write your current latency.

My current latency is around 300 - 350, not bad, but not good either.
I read somewhere that Win7 has a min. Latency of 100, whereas WinXP could go down to 10-20.
m
l
!