Sign in with
Your question

Intel Retail Pack

Last response: in CPUs
July 6, 2011 6:57:48 AM

Hello,

Do I need to buy thermal paste if I have bought an Intel retail pack and a CPU cooler? (Is there thermal paste in the Intel retail pack?

More about : intel retail pack

a b à CPUs
July 6, 2011 9:30:17 AM

Welcome Adrianjm!,

Yes when you purchase a retail cpu it will be delivered with cooler and pre-applied thermal paste.
So no further thermal paste is needed.
On a side note, if you planning of overclocking i would suggest using an aftermarket cooler and arctic silver type thermal compound.
If you stay on stock speeds then you have nothing to worry about.
July 6, 2011 10:10:38 AM

Thanks Soest,

I have bought a Zalman fan, so I guess I'll try and source some of the AS thermal paste if their is a chance their will not be enough pre-applied stuff to use on the Zalman.

Cheers!

Adrian
Related resources
a b à CPUs
July 6, 2011 11:52:54 AM

Never mix 2 different thermal paste's!!!
Pre-applied material is most of the time low cost paste, hence thats why most people advice to get some arctic silver or equivalent material instead.
a c 172 à CPUs
a b å Intel
July 6, 2011 12:02:54 PM

Just use isoprpyl alcohol and a piece of a coffee filter (or a lint free rag if you do not drink coffee) to clean the old compound off.
July 6, 2011 1:00:19 PM

ahhh. Thank you very much guys. Saved me the problem of learning the hard way!
a c 190 à CPUs
a b å Intel
July 6, 2011 2:49:50 PM

I like to use used dryer sheet (Bounce dryer sheets) if you dont do coffee. They are clean of the lint.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
July 8, 2011 10:01:05 AM

I just received the Zalman fan and they are nice enough to include some thermal paste. what nice people they are over at Zalman! :-)

Adrian
!