Asus Crosshair V Formula NB too hot!

kingfoot

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
Loving this board, coupled with my AMD Phenom II X6 1090t (No OC), and my Asus Radeon HD 6950 (w/DCII cooler, 2gb) and a nice corsair SSD for boot.

I have a Corsair H60 cooler but I added a 2nd fan for push/pull to increase the cooling efficiency a bit. Running idle, my CPU core temps are at 22C (the ambient temperature of the room is 68F so 71C is REALLY GOOD). The CPU socket on the motherboard hits about 33C when idle. The SB is also only 33C. But sitting idle my NB is at an alarming 50C and when under load reaches 62/63C!!

Again, no OC, all automatically set voltages are running at recommended speeds, and my case has ample airflow that has no negative or positive pressure.

Why is my NB so hot?

kahboom

Honorable
Apr 3, 2012

What bios are you running, and when did you purchase your mb, some have a defective bios chip which lock the nb settings to extreme and the nb gets very hot because of this, there is two options, send in to asus for a repair, or purchase a ek-fb waterblock for better cooling on the nb.

VDIGuy

Honorable
May 24, 2013
This is a common problem with this MB and your cooling setup, it happened to me too. Apparently Asus is counting on airflow from either an air cooled CPU fan or a side 120mm fan blowing on the motherboard to cool the northbridge.

If you use a water cooler on the CPU and your case doesn't have a side fan blowing down on the MB, there isn't enough air forced through the NB heatsink for it to do its job and NB gets too hot. I put a fan on it and NB temps dropped significantly once the NB heatsink had forced airflow on it. Yes, it's annoying. If you know enough to pick this MB you also know enough to liquid cool. Asus should have known the NB heatsink might not be enough cooling in that setup.