Motherboard RMA question! (Newegg)

Status
Not open for further replies.

aleb

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
So a couple of days ago, my asus p8p67-m pro (Which has REALLY bad memory compatibility) started acting up and would not recognize neither of my graphics cards. It kept giving me the 1 long 3 short beep error which means that it is not recognizing the gfx card. Anyways, I tried everything to fix it, but nothing.

So I decided to RMA the board. I put all the accesories in the box and mailed it to Newegg in California. But one problem...I forgot to put the CPU socket cover on the motherboard :pfff: . Now, It's just been killing me not knowing, and I need to know if Newegg is going to accept the RMA or not...

So yeah, thanks!

Or it means the GPU was bad or not properly powered, seated, etc. Ditto with the RAM - seated, DIMM slots, BIOS. All P67's need a BIOS update 90% of the time to the latest available.

NewEgg's standards for accepting an RMA are a lot easier than that of ASUS. ASUS could take the stance that if any (1) CPU pin was damaged you voided your warranty and the MOBO would be returned as-is, and permanently denied future RMA's.

IMO send NewEgg the CPU Socket cover and reference your RMA.

NewEgg is a very, very good company.

aleb

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
Or it means the GPU was bad or not properly powered, seated, etc. Ditto with the RAM - seated, DIMM slots, BIOS. All P67's need a BIOS update 90% of the time to the latest available.

I tried all of that, trust me, I wouldn't go through the trouble of an RMA if there was still a solution. The gpu was well seated, and it was working fine in another pc. Tried different combos for the ram, none worked. Reset the CMOS. Reseated the CPU. Nothing.

But I was just wondering if it had happened to anyone else and see what happened to them. I hope that they do accept it though, I have no idea where the cpu cover is but I'm going to try to find it.

And btw, If it does goes through, do you think I should buy the ASUS P8P67 Deluxe? (I asked for a refund for the other board) I just got a new case that supports ATX. I'm not really sure as I've read A LOT of feedback reviews saying their motherboards are DOA.

Thanks!

eXistenZ

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
I thought they will not accept it. Liability on them. Doesn't it explicitly say this? I wouldn't mail it to them. No way. It will get lost. I RMA a mobo (same) in the box (packed in a box), without anything else as they say, and they didn't even return the original box. If they say not accept without RMA # on outside, I doubt they will accept mobo, just return it. Probably best for you both.

Of course, I have no clear experience with your question. I just want to advise against sending the cover, because most likely (as in near certainty) it will just get lost and then you're screwed. IMHO.

aleb

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
I think i'm just gonna wait until they get it and see what they say. I was just wondering if anyone else had gone through the same situation and what they might of had to do.

Anyways, would you guys recommend the Gigabyte z68xp ud4 or te ASUS p8z68 pro? I haven't seen any MSI boards, are they good?

Thanks

In other words you're wanting to see if others didn't know to include the CPU Socket cover. Most folks who build know to put it back...this the ostrich approach. IMO call them and send the cover in.

Again, ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 or P8Z68-V/GEN3 those are unquestionably the best choices for the money - period.

aleb

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
Alright, yeah this is my first time RMAing a motherboard!

I think I'm gonna go with the ASUS p8z68-v pro then. I really like ASUS, but I was just a little worried from the feedback I've read about em lately. I really did like the one I had when it DID work. But it would often give me errors and would not start up even after working fine the night before. It was just a pain...
But I guess I'll try ASUS again!

Thanks for your replies

Before installing the OS update the BIOS first! Use the ASUS EZ Flash 2 method, you'll need a Flash Drive and IMO get at least a 4GB or better 8GB. There are so many things that can screwed-up building unless you've done it a few times. The Z68 in particular make sure the SATA -> AHCI and below:
BIOS for d-Mode
Initiate Graphic Adapter -> PCIE/PCI ; otherwise BSOD
iGPU Memory 64MB ; or more
iGPU Multi-Monitor -> Enabled ; required

If I were a betting man, I probably could have gotten the P8P67-M PRO rig to work.

Also, before installing Windows even if the MOBO ships with the latest BIOS, assume it's corrupted and Clear CMOS right after pulling it out of the box; see - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdHH9KrceR0

If you have an SSD then make sure it has the latest Firmware and ditto with the HDD(s). Never use the drivers that come with the MOBO - 9/10 their old, download and install only the drivers from ASUS's website. Aftermarket HSF, READ THE MANUAL TWICE, if the HSF has a metal back plate then regardless of what the manual says:
Screw -> Metal Back-plate | Plastic washer || MOBO || Plastic washer | ...

If the case doesn't have 'real' standoffs then either use two layers of electrical tape or Case | dab of silicone | Plactic washer || MOBO.

Generally, it's best to boot the MOBO outside of the case before installing it into the case. NewEgg has a 3 video Building series that I'd recommend that you watch; see -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPIXAtNGGCw Most folks it's best to have the HSF and RAM installed then place into the case.

Also, you MUST properly clean both the CPU and HSF, wipe-off with a lint free towel then clean 2-3 times using a Q-tip and Isopropyl alcohol, get non-conductive TIM 'Thermal Paste like Arctic Cooling MX-4 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186038 You CANNOT reuse thermal paste the old stuff is trash now and absolutely cannot be reused.

aleb

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
Thanks for the info, but I've built a pc before and I know to update everything before installing and all that stuff. Trust me, I spent a lot time doing research so I wouldn't mess up this build.

And yeah I'm pretty sure I installed the Noctua heatsink correct because I was getting some LOW temps at 4.2GHz (i5 2500k) hahahah

But thanks anyways!

Status
Not open for further replies.