thinkpad - no supervisor password but...

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
April 21, 2005 9:01:48 PM

Hi all

I have an IBM Thinkpad R40 which my cousine bought 2nd hand, which had
multiple viruses and a POP password set, which we knew.

I re-loaded windows for my cousine, and at her request removed the POP
password. As anyone who will answer this thread will know, this
leaves the time/date unset, and will send you into the BIOS on start
up. My problem is this:

I was greeted (after removing POP) with a supervisor password prompt.
<enter> did not work and no-one knew the password.

So, after pulling my hair out for hours and hours i eventually found a
guy here in NZ with an EEPROM reader for this thinkpad.. so i sent it
up to him.

He read the EEPROM, and apparently THERE IS NO SUPERVISOR PASSWORD
SET!!

So why cant we get into BIOS? dont know... anyone out here heard of a
bios bug or something that could cause this? and how do i update the
BIOS if I cant even post? arrggghhhhh
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 22, 2005 12:43:03 AM

Unicornsong wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I have an IBM Thinkpad R40 which my cousine bought 2nd hand, which had
> multiple viruses and a POP password set, which we knew.
>
> I re-loaded windows for my cousine, and at her request removed the POP
> password. As anyone who will answer this thread will know, this
> leaves the time/date unset, and will send you into the BIOS on start
> up. My problem is this:
>
> I was greeted (after removing POP) with a supervisor password prompt.
> <enter> did not work and no-one knew the password.
>
> So, after pulling my hair out for hours and hours i eventually found a
> guy here in NZ with an EEPROM reader for this thinkpad.. so i sent it
> up to him.
>
> He read the EEPROM, and apparently THERE IS NO SUPERVISOR PASSWORD
> SET!!
>
> So why cant we get into BIOS? dont know... anyone out here heard of a
> bios bug or something that could cause this? and how do i update the
> BIOS if I cant even post? arrggghhhhh

there is a guy "Joe in Australia" who deals with these on a daily basis.
i suggest you leave him a message.
http://www.ja.axxs.net/unlock/contacting_joe.htm
i think he charges us76.00 to recover crc error. That should take care
of whatever password that may or may not be there. you will have to rig
up a keymaker yourself. "instructions are on his site".
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 22, 2005 1:45:59 PM

"Albert Wong" <noone@nowhere.000> wrote in message
> Unicornsong wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > I have an IBM Thinkpad R40 which my cousine bought 2nd hand, which had
> > multiple viruses and a POP password set, which we knew.
> >
> > I re-loaded windows for my cousine, and at her request removed the POP
> > password. As anyone who will answer this thread will know, this
> > leaves the time/date unset, and will send you into the BIOS on start
> > up. My problem is this:
> >
> > I was greeted (after removing POP) with a supervisor password prompt.
> > <enter> did not work and no-one knew the password.
> >
> > So, after pulling my hair out for hours and hours i eventually found a
> > guy here in NZ with an EEPROM reader for this thinkpad.. so i sent it
> > up to him.
> >
> > He read the EEPROM, and apparently THERE IS NO SUPERVISOR PASSWORD
> > SET!!
> >
> > So why cant we get into BIOS? dont know... anyone out here heard of a
> > bios bug or something that could cause this? and how do i update the
> > BIOS if I cant even post? arrggghhhhh
>
> there is a guy "Joe in Australia" who deals with these on a daily basis.
> i suggest you leave him a message.
> http://www.ja.axxs.net/unlock/contacting_joe.htm
> i think he charges us76.00 to recover crc error. That should take care
> of whatever password that may or may not be there. you will have to rig
> up a keymaker yourself. "instructions are on his site".

Yes, I can recommend him too. He helped me with similar probs on a T21.

JMK
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 27, 2005 7:13:43 AM

Thanks guys. I had known about Joe's service but really wanted to
avoid the circuitry project. I ended up locating a guy here in New
Zealand only 2 hours drive away from where i am, who reads eeprom
passwords, and clears them. In the end my problem was a corrupt eeprom
bin file, apparently there was no password set.. so he replaced the bin
file and viola... Im fixed for $150 NZ, which works out much the same
price and less hassle.

Thanks for taking the time anyway guys.
!