Strange lock-up Issue

Roaring Panda

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
Hi! I've got two major problems on my year and a half old home-built system- one of which is ongoing for some time, and another that has only recently appeared.

Firstly, the ongoing problem, since upgrading from a 19 inch old monitor to my Samsung SyncMaster T260 27" monitor, I have to go through a certain ritual to get a display from the monitor. When I turn it on, there will be no display whatsoever, so I have to turn it off by the power button, then turn it on again. Once I've turned it off then on again, the display appears. If i were to do an ordinary restart, the display would stay on, but if I do a shut down, then turn it on again- no display. I've sort of gotten use to it.

Also, since upgrading my PSU to it's current model, when I turn it on after turning it off (please bear with me here,) the computer will sound like it's starting up for a second, then go dead quiet for a couple seconds, then it will start again, with display available. So that's the first problem, and I'm worried that It's doing something horrible to my system all these resets etc.

SECOND PROBLEM! Recently whenever I'm in a game (Crysis, CiV, Mount & Blade etc.) the whole computer will freeze up, and the sound will go very drawn out and... robot-like. Supposedly I will still be connected to the internet, as If I'm on skype at the time I can here them speaking, while they cannot hear me. What the screen itself looks like is difficult to explain so here's a picture I took!

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/783/20101201104212.jpg (warning: big picture.)

And sometimes it will look like this too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ar_xg4NQ14

Terrifying looking thing, no? It will be different colours everytime, but as scary every single time. I've ruled out over-heating as well- It can happen SECONDS into gameplay, and I've kept an eye on temperatures, and twice It has happenned as i logged into Windows, not even in a game.

Strange thing is, once I've suffered the crash, turned it off, turned it on (with no display, the first problem :/) then turned it off then on again, It will run FINE. I could play crysis for hours at a time and there would be absolutely no horrible freeze or anything! This really has me confused to be honest, and I need some help with this. I assume its something to do with the graphics card, but with the company that provided it with warranty going bust (BFG tech,) I want to be sure before I spend loads of moolah.

Thanks for your help in advance :) Here's some specs:

Nvidia Geforce GTX 280
Intel Core Q6700 2.8ghz Quad-Core
4gb Corsair DDR2 RAM
Corsair 750HX PSU
Hitachi 1TB HDD
Asus P45QL Mobo
Oh, and Windows 7 Ultimate.

Roaring Panda

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
I haven't got any spare parts but I have a friend who has a whole host of spare GPUs and PCs, I'll see if I can borrow some of him! Thanks, hadn't really considered that

ASUS and Corsair usually dont get along (ram) - manually force the ram speed down and timings down and see what that does for you

also RUN SOME TESTS

could be a faulty video card also, get another to try, test yours with furmark and atitool