Any comments on these submitted changes to the UEA?

First, some Ship related changes

Warrant Class Assault Ship
Hull Trait = Combat Computer negates UEA 1/2 Kill damage

---

Hammer Class Troop Carrier
Mass = 98
Armor = 250
Hross Mine Field Resistance

Battalion Class Troop Carrier
Armor = 500

Hammer and Battalion:
New Device = Assault Landing = Disables end of turn Dust off and lands
all Assault Pods on the planet it ends the turn over. Pods are not
subject to Combat VCR unless Troop Carrier is destroyed. So in effect,
A Troop Carrier could start a turn over an assault planet and Dust Off
at the start of a turn and end a turn over an enemy planet and drop all
assault pods, and beam down all Troops and HG in guest quarters.

---

Ranger Station
New Device "Repair Dock"
Only works when owned by UEA
Only works on UEA Native hulls
Completely repairs ship that is the tow target in one turn.
Uses the amount of repair units the target ship would require to repair
itself from the Rangers supply.

---
Fighter Changes

AS-480 Assault Fighter

Attack Air 190
Attack Ground Troops 50
Attack Cities 45
Attack Ground Units 30
Defense From Air Attack 120
Defense From Ground Troops 55
Defense From Ground Units 35
Beam Weapons 80
Missile Weapons 65
Accuracy Beams 70
Accuracy Missile 85
Range Beams 200
Range Missile 400
Ord Load 160
Travel Range (LY) 310
Armor 15
Evasive Bonus 30
Attack Bonus 60
Generator 15
Battery 200
Combat Quickness 100
Cost 200

DOA-187x Bomber

Attack Air 10
Attack Ground Troops 70
Attack Cities 225
Attack Ground Units 180
Defense From Air Attack 40
Defense From Ground Troops 40
Defense From Ground Units 40
Beam Weapons 15
Missile Weapons 100
Accuracy Beams 45
Accuracy Missile 90
Range Beams 50
Range Missile 400
Ord Load 250
Travel Range (LY) 360
Armor 8
Evasive Bonus 0
Attack Bonus 100
Generator 10
Battery 180
Combat Quickness 50
Cost 125

DOA wings can perform orbital precision strikes if they end the turn
over base. To target one building type using the command code "b01" to
"b30" The codes correspond with the order of the buildings listed on
the base overview screen. Each bomber destroys 1 building. Thirty
bombers destroy 30 cities or 30 farms. Chances of success depend on
the number of DOA fighters in the wing. 1% per fighter. AA-Guns will
each destroy one fighter before it performs it's mission, plus a random
change to destroy another fighter.

C-3 Defender

Attack Air 50
Attack Ground Troops 60
Attack Cities 20
Attack Ground Units 30
Defense From Air Attack 50
Defense From Ground Troops 55
Defense From Ground Units 30
Beam Weapons 55
Missile Weapons 0
Accuracy Beams 80
Accuracy Missile 0
Range Beams 150
Range Missile 0
Ord Load 0
Travel Range (LY) 10
Armor 6
Evasive Bonus 50
Attack Bonus 72
Generator 10
Battery 100
Combat Quickness 20
Cost 70

---

Contraband Lockdown as a hull trait is removed from all ships
A regular Contraband Lockdown is added to the Sergeant-at-Arms

---

Hawkings Retaining Center
New cost to build is 40Mcs and 5 Supplies.
No longer costs any thing to re-educate prisoners.
Each Center can process 1000 POWs
HG can not be re-educated.
A percentage of the personnel will die in the process. That percentage
is effected by the Lawfulness of the race, the lower the Lawfulness,
the more personnel that will die.
This only applies to personnel being re-educated and not those waiting
on the base.
Re-education process generates income based on lizard selling formula
divided by 3.
Cyborg, Robot, Solorian and Crystal prisoners are not re-educateable.
Other nasty things can happen to your base when prisoners are being
re-educated.

---

The AU-147 Arresting Unit was not used, and never achieved it's
designed purpose, so here is the redesign:

Arresting action happens before movement. (So you have to land them
for a turn before they will capture enemies)
Attack setting must be Deep Ground Patrols or better.
Captures 200 colonists, 100 crew, and 5 troops per turn.
Enemy HG are immune and will protect 1,000 Colonist from capture for
each HG.
Arresting Unit combats crime on friendly bases within 200lys.

Attack Air 0
Attack Ground Troops 5
Attack Cities 0
Attack Ground Units 1
Defense From Air Attack 5
Defense From Ground Troops 15
Defense From Ground Units 12
Cost 24

---

The Redistribution Center has become a vital part of the UEA economy.
But some tweaking is needed.
2 Food
1 Supplies
1 MCs
70 Ord

---

Fighting with Insect Natives may or may not work this way. This is the
way is should work and should be made to work if not.
Ground unit will fight first. (Currently PA-245 Battle Mech can kill
1250 insectoids each.)
Fighters in the base will fight second. (Currently C-3 Defender can
kill 800 insectoids each.)
Troops fight third
Crew fight forth
HG will fight fifth
Colonist fight/die last.

>Warrant Class Assault Ship
>Hull Trait = Combat Computer negates UEA 1/2 Kill damage

As in this is simply a hull trait? or once the battle computer exotic
techs are bought it loses it's perk? Bummer either way...

>Hross Mine Field Resistance

As in total resistance to EE mines that were layed by Hross class
ships, but not Moscows? I imagine it doesn't block detonations.
Please expound...

>New Device = Assault Landing
Nice

>New Device "Repair Dock"
Love it

The Fighter stat changes for the most part weaken them a great bit...
were they anywhere close to being over powered in the first place? The
orbital bombardment of the the Bomber seems pretty cool... it offers a
new attack yet shows a good counterattack... as it should be... I like
it. But is this replacing the ground assault bombing?

>Contraband Lockdown as a hull trait is removed from all ships
>A regular Contraband Lockdown is added to the Sergeant-at-Arms

Hallelujah....

>The AU-147 Arresting Unit [changes]

probably needed to be scaled back and blockable... good change...
however is that price really 24 or is it supposed to be 240? Those
combat stats are pretty dang stinky.

>The Redistribution Center [changes]

Good scaleback I think.

>Insectoid fighting

Looks good to me

General Kael

Sparrow

> Warrant Class Assault Ship
> Hull Trait = Combat Computer negates UEA 1/2 Kill damage
Do you mean Battle Computer when you say Combat Computer? Has there
been any reduced kill damage specifically on the warrant? Matter of
fact the first Battle Computer is that cheap that probably anybody
having a Warrant will already have it on. In my opinion you could more
easily remove the 1/2 kill damage directly instead of mocking it as a
hull weakness.

> Hammer Class Troop Carrier
> Hross Mine Field Resistance
The UEA have enough Mine Sweepers, they do not need a ship racing thru
enemy MFs with speed 90.

> Hammer and Battalion:
> New Device = Assault Landing
Wrong name of the device, it should be called "Capture Base" and will
immediately surrender any enemy base to the ship in orbit. What, that
is nonsense?! Well, what is the "Assault Landing" then!? ;-O

> Ranger Station
> New Device "Repair Dock"
Ok, even though I fail to see why the UEA and only they should have
such a nice thing.

> DOA wings can perform orbital precision strikes
I thought that is what they are already doing now? Where is the change
- beside the stats?

> Contraband Lockdown as a hull trait is removed from all ships
> A regular Contraband Lockdown is added to the Sergeant-at-Arms
Yes! Ha, who thought I'm only destructive?! ;-O

> Hawkings Retaining Center
> New cost to build is 40Mcs and 5 Supplies.
> No longer costs any thing to re-educate prisoners.
> Each Center can process 1000 POWs
> HG can not be re-educated.
> A percentage of the personnel will die in the process.
> ... This only applies to personnel being re-educated and not those waiting
So far so good.
> Re-education process generates income based on lizard selling formula
> divided by 3.
Why, please??? Is their economy so weak that they need a (little)
boost?!
> Other nasty things can happen to your base when prisoners are being
Sure way to remove the Hawkins institute from any important base. Leave
out the cash generation and the bad side effects and it is ok.

> Arresting Unit combats crime on friendly bases within 200lys
You want to make the UEA the preferred ally of heavy contra trading /
storing races? I wouldn't implement this change as it has no advantage
for the UEA and would counter the whole crime idea as it is now.

> The Redistribution Center has become a vital part of the UEA economy.
> But some tweaking is needed.
Yes, it needs to be tweaked down!

> Fighting with Insect Natives may or may not work this way
Fine with me.

Most of the submitted changes look good!

About the Ranger Station repair trait. I would make that a automatic
function of any ship with a dry dock instead. That a ship with a dry
dock can fully repair (out of its own repair unit reserve) a ship that
is towed by the dry dock ship, provided the ship is inside the dry dock
mass limit, and provided the dry dock ship has access to the ship plans
(either a native ship, or an alien one wich plans are on board). Just
an idea to generalize this nice idea from Greg.

The Type 1 fighter got considerably cheaper, but looking at the stats
this is probably justified.

I would restrict the Arresting Units crime combat capabilities to the
base it is at. It has no warp capabilities, why should it have a 200ly
range?
Also enemy highguard should not only be able to protect only colos from
being captured, but other personnel, too. And I would increase the
amount of people a hg can protect - they usually don't linger
around at bases in hundreds anymore nowadays.

But I do have a problem with the Redistribution Center. Let me expand
on that. Once upon a time the contraband market was most races tool to
increase its small starting money. With a profit margin of about 20%
this was a valid investion, and soon most races had enough money to
fuel its techs, shipbuilding, etc. to wage a nice war. Nowadays (since
the last contraband change) the contraband market isn't worth
investing in (is anyone still doing it?), with margins below the 5%
mark you can as well put your money elsewhere. Most races have to be
real cautious with their starting money now, with city income being
back as number one income source. Giving a huge boost to the poor Dracs
with their gov center income, and even the Feds with their Aggrovators,
which isn't a bad thing.
The UEA though, they have hit it big. Their weakness that they are
unable to profit from the contraband market practically evaporated into
nothing. Their city income is doubled! And the Redestribution Center
allows them to exchange a single cheap contraband against loads and
loads of stuff. To be precise, even after the submitted change they can
get 1 mc, 1 supply (worth 1 mc), 2 food (hard to put a price tag on)
and 70 ord (worth 7 mc) for a single piece of contraband, for which
they probably paid between 2 or 3 mc.
This can't be true, can it?! This kind of a starting boost throws
this race out of balance, big time. And with all their gimmicks they
are not especially weak in late game, too, for all I know (but never
played them myself). The Dracs have earned their early game bonus -
the UEA is becoming an all around powerhouse. As it is, the
Redistribution Center is seriously over the top and has to be
downgraded a lot, or even dropped whooly.

Mind you, that is a consequence of the 'diminished into nothing'
contraband market. Which could change every host again. Hard to find a
balance for the Redistribution Center (and the UEA) under this
circumstances.

> > Hammer and Battalion:
> > New Device = Assault Landing
> Wrong name of the device, it should be called "Capture Base" and will
> immediately surrender any enemy base to the ship in orbit. What, that
> is nonsense?! Well, what is the "Assault Landing" then!? ;-O

Hm, am I getting something wrong? He still needs two turns for the
ground assault, with all the usual defenses. In which regard is this an
automatic capture? He can only move around military personnel much
faster. But correct me if I have missed something.

> > Ranger Station
> > New Device "Repair Dock"
> Ok, even though I fail to see why the UEA and only they should have
> such a nice thing.

True :). But this is Tims gig, not Gregs.

> > DOA wings can perform orbital precision strikes
> I thought that is what they are already doing now? Where is the change
> - beside the stats?

No. They 'ought' to have been capable of something like that, but
weren't. Rule was implemented badly (as to having no effect) in the
original.

> > The Redistribution Center has become a vital part of the UEA economy.
> > But some tweaking is needed.
> Yes, it needs to be tweaked down!

More on that important point in my post below ;).

Sparrow

> He still needs two turns for the ground assault, with all the usual defenses
Yes and no. ;-) Yes, still 2 turns are needed but not with those
troops! Simple example:
I have 2 ships, a Warrant and a Hammer.
1) I race with the Warrant to an enemy base and move away in safety
before tick 50, but not after creating a 1 man base, called Base A
2a) I set Base A to Capture and use the Default DustOff and Assault
Landing of the Hammer to move all my troops to that base, taking it in
GA immediately.
2b) The Warrant creates the next base
3) Repeat 1 and 2, taking an enemy base each turn

This is of course a simple example. Elaborate it with a Pax and further
battleships, to increase strength and range and you will see where I'm
heading. With the pod being undestroyable until the Hammer is
destroyed, this is simply too good IMHO.

Sparrow

Even with the old contra rules, the Redistribution center was already
too good. As you say, it is still an excellent trade off.

Smiley

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2004

Got to agree, the Redistribution Centre is damn nice. Too nice with the
new(ish) contra rules. They already have x2 native and city money
collection and this law abiding police state is now making more cash
out of illegal goods than the Privateers. A bit odd. But rationales
aside, talking in terms of game balance: they tough already, they don't
need no boosting.

Personally I'd like to see them unable to BUY contra as well be unable
to sell it (after all the Centre is effectively selling it anyway,
whatever word is used to describe the process). That would limit the
amount of cash they can make from the centre. They'd have to fight for
Amorphs like everyone else.

ANd the other boosts to their fleet seems a bit odd as well. They
already have a GREAT fleet. HYP ships that also have fast normal space
movement and are tough in combat and a good variety of devices. And
they don't cost that much either. When combined with the big economy
(I'd say the best in the game) that's pretty nice.

ONly fair to have the Bombers and bug combat work properly of course.
Those changes need to be instigated.

All in all I think they need tweaking down. Certainly not up.

That being said I like the idea of big space stations being able to
repair ships faster. Got a nice feel to it. But any big station should
be able to do it. Anything with a dry dock big enough to fit the
damaged vessel. (that's what dry docks are for after all).

Roger

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Re: Arresting Unit

One of the most useful features of the arresting unit was that it
worked after movement, so that you could land an assault pod and
capture some enemy personel before ground combat occurred on the next
turn, and before the enemy knew what was going on.

As a UEA player, I think I would prefer that it continue to work after
movement. That speeds up play quite a bit.

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

cocomax wrote:

> Fighting with Insect Natives may or may not work this way. This is the
> way is should work and should be made to work if not.
> Ground unit will fight first. (Currently PA-245 Battle Mech can kill
> 1250 insectoids each.)
> Fighters in the base will fight second. (Currently C-3 Defender can
> kill 800 insectoids each.)
> Troops fight third
> Crew fight forth
> HG will fight fifth
> Colonist fight/die last.

Last time this affected me I believe the Mech's killed Insects before
population died but Cols died before Troops. (Assuming that this was, at
least partially, a question.)

These changes came from a discussion several months ago, link below.
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.games.vgaplanets4/browse_frm/thread/9a028c5e59f58955/9c0dba4abd74de22?hl=en#9c0dba4abd74de22

Let me touch on some points made so far:

Warrant: Combat Computer is in no relation to Exotic Tech. It simple
negates the UEA trait of 1/2 kill damage the race currently operates
under.

The Hammer hull size was reduced, but I wish it to be able to take a
mine hit. It's not immune, just resistant, and this is not isolated to
EE Mines.

Assault Landing: this makes the ships useful and falls within the ethos
of the race. It only make GA more efficient. Yes, it's an improvement,
but not an over powering boost.

Repair Dock: I'm glad everyone likes this feature, and I completely
agree, it should be a native trait of dry docks. I only can effect the
races I have control of, if Tim wants to make this a game feature,
awesome.

Changes to Fighters were to bring things inline with their design
purpose.

Ok, I'll level with you, I've never been a strong Contraband trader,
but I do know the UEA have a weak econ. It is very delicate. And
contraband isn't the only income races get, there is also prisoners.
Now there have been alot of changes in contra and prisoner income.

The changes to the retraining center are to make it feasible and to
deversify income for a weak income. YES, the UEA are a strong early/mid
game race. But in the end game, they need alot of care or a good ally.
If Tim thinks the income at 1/3 of the Lizard selling income it top
great, I invite him to reduce it further to be inline with what he
thinks it should be.

As to the MRC, I would be willing to entertain changing the ord to 50.
But again, this is an asset to the delicate economy the UEA have.

I'd like to hear further discussion on the AU, but the reason for post
movement effects is due to it's low cost.

>I'd like to hear further discussion on the AU, but the reason for post
movement effects is due to it's low cost.

So is the actual price shifting from 290 to 24? or to 240? I think
that the PRE movement effects that were posted by Tim are good... a
little less 'instant prisoners' You have to actually protect your base
a bit longer.

GK

New cost is 24 (Twenty-four) You'll note a massive reduction in stats.

First why do the UEA needs some more devices? Should a race "collect"
devices over time? I don´t think so. I like the repair dock but I don´t see
any reason (only) to give it to the UEA.
I don´t see a reason to give the Hammer the minefield immunety and take away
the contra lockdown as a double egded sword. The UEA is already a high
mobile race. They don´t need aother boni that even gives them more mibilety.
The fighting against native I considerd as a good thing to fight the UEA.
Insectoid don´t come along to their PSP thei have good minefields and
tachion emitters. So it is hard to bring the insecoid to them as they good
defended. But when you manage ít will hurt a big base quite hard.

The crime fighting thing of the arresting unit is too much. Ivitation to a
Rebel UEA combo loop.

I don´t like the price of the arresting unit either. One can easily remove
the starting troop personal from an enemy HW with a low price lik that.
Together with the existing UEA capture bonus this would lead to a easy job
for GC a enemy HW very early. The UEA has enough GC power. Either high the
price of the arresting unit or remove the bonus for capturing prisaners (I
do mean they only need 1x the combat value the enemy has to capture the
colonists).

If you consider that contra income for oter races is very much reduced now I
am strongly against any improovment of the UAE if you don´t remove the
double city income.

Greetings
Sebastian

> [...]
> Attack Cities 0
> Attack Ground Units 1
> Defense From Air Attack 5
> Defense From Ground Troops 15
> Defense From Ground Units 12
> Cost 24
>
> ---
>
> The Redistribution Center has become a vital part of the UEA economy.
> But some tweaking is needed.
> 2 Food
> 1 Supplies
> 1 MCs
> 70 Ord
>
> ---
>
> Fighting with Insect Natives may or may not work this way. This is the
> way is should work and should be made to work if not.
> Ground unit will fight first. (Currently PA-245 Battle Mech can kill
> 1250 insectoids each.)
> Fighters in the base will fight second. (Currently C-3 Defender can

The UEA isn't to powerful. The race has a low economy. Their double
income boost

from cities tighten the low growth rate. On the other hand as an ally
the race is

a problem. In a game now concentrating on growth, their food support
for a high

growth race is to decisive. I would like to see only some changes in
the amount

of food the center generates, enough to be a valuable ally but fewer as
now.

It should be clear that any change in the contrand market would enforce
:)

new rebalances.

Personally I like the cutback of the contraband market. Before, all
other

income sources, with exception of labor camps, were negligible. Now the
game

focus on growth, food and resources. A change to allow the uea to
survive in

late game without ally would be nice, if the player achieve to make
enough captives.

So far the proposed change by Tim and the race creator is (2 food, 1
supply, 1 mc, 50 ord).

I think it's a good step in the right direction, but like others said I
not sure it's enought, but we could try it like this, and reduce it
again later IF needed.

Lord Lancelot

The UEA had a good economy when other races used the contra market as
income.(I speack only of early to mid game).
Not the contra market income is reduced but the UEA still have their old
boni. Don´t you think that there might be some imbalance now (again I don´t
speak of late game)?

Greetings
Sebastian

cocomax <cocomax@aol.com> writes
>Any comments on these submitted changes to the UEA?

>Contraband Lockdown as a hull trait is removed from all ships
>A regular Contraband Lockdown is added to the Sergeant-at-Arms

Awww! I really liked this feature. It adds a lot of flavour to the UEA.

However... I don't want to spill any secrets, but... no one uses contra
any more anyway, Tim. Some people even consider it not worth landing
pods of colonists on planets to gather 10,000kT of contra. Why? Because
you need to risk so many people these days... and it takes so long to
gather... that you get more cash by leaving the people at home to breed
or in cities. It could take 20 turns to gather 70% of the contra on a
planet.
--
Paul Honigmann

After putting some thought into it, I believe the UEA redistribution
center has to be downsized enormously. It was the UEA's ersatz method
to use the contraband market, but now, when no one can uses contraband
anyway, it's an out-of-balance advantage for the UEA. And it's
quite absurd that the 'contraband-hating' police race UEA is the
only race still profiting from the contraband market. Double city
income and the proposed third of the Lizard prisoner income is by far
enough to get a nice economy running.
If the redistribution center is to remain for nostalgic reasons (and as
an adjustable failsave measure, because the contraband could
conceivably return any host), I would propose the following: it only
generates 50 ord and 1 food for each contraband (and nothing else).
While this is about half of what Greg has proposed, it is still jolly
good. It means ord for about half price, and lots of free food.

I figured I should throw this in while changes are being made. When
the UEA have complex taxes they do not get the extra 2.5x native bonus.
This is either a bug and need to be fixed or it just needs to be
brought out. Any UEA player worth their salt should be on complex
unless their natives far outway their population....so the native bonus
for the most part is nil.

General Kael

Sorry, this isn't an UEA only bug. Lizards are affected, too. I presume
it's a native tax bug, and not a race specific thing.

Um.... what? As far as I know... Lizards don't get a native tax
bonus... just normal taxes.... The UEA still get tax income... but it's
not 2.5x when complex is on.

Uups, sorry, misunderstanding. I meant the normal x3 or so bonus for
complex taxes in general (if you have happiness 300). It is not added
for native taxes. So for all races it's correct that you'll make more
native taxes with enslavement than with complex. Seems that no kind of
bonus is included for natives at complex taxes. If that's by design or
if it's a bug no one knows but Tim.

> conceivably return any host), I would propose the following: it only
> generates 50 ord and 1 food for each contraband (and nothing else).
> While this is about half of what Greg has proposed, it is still jolly
> good. It means ord for about half price, and lots of free food.

Why don´t cut the food?

Greetings
Sebastian

I'm starting to get the feeling that Contra has seriously been
adjusted. ;^)

I'd like to see some numbers posted that show the potential that
Contraband now gives empires to generate funds. Once I have a good
feel for the income potential of your average contraband trading race,
I can make the required adjustments. Regardless, the change I've made
is a downward trend, and I feel it is a move in the right direction.
As you all can tell, I do perform regular maintence to my Races. I
like nothing more than lengthy discussions of the changes, thank you
all for your input.

Greg Bahr
UEA Creator