Sign in with
Your question

My download speed.

Last response: in Networking
July 29, 2010 7:34:53 PM

Hi, This has always been a major problem, about 90% of the time when im downloading, my download speed will rocket down from 3 mbps to like 10 kb/ps And then I can't even download the file, I Do have a router connected but I use a modem, I am on virgin media and im using google chrome.

More about : download speed

July 29, 2010 7:51:13 PM

Using Linksys WRT54G as router
July 29, 2010 11:01:42 PM

Sometimes an ISP will put a filter on your bandwidth, if it gets to high at a certain point (say while you're downloading something), it will bottleneck down.

Also, if your router isn't secured, someone maybe stealing your wireless connection and sharing your bandwidth.
July 30, 2010 1:47:49 PM

Depending on what else is going on with your network, that could affect your speeds. If other computers are connected, if you are browsing the internet, playing a game, etc. This can all affect the speeds.

Also, depending on what you are downloading from it could be an issue. Downloading torrents will vary. Downloading from a dedicated server should provide the best results.

You can use toast.net and use the ISP speed test to see what your throughput is to compare to other ISPs as well.
!