Sign in with
Your question

Need quick answer about AM3

Last response: in CPUs
July 6, 2011 7:06:28 PM

just bought a new mobo ** http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

and new CPU ** http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

and I am wondering will the AM3 processors work with the AM3+ boards...just called Asus and they told me no...but I read countless forums saying the am3's would work with AM3+ boards...and now I am confused as heck and wondering if i spent my money in the wrong place? someone plz help

Thank you and it is much appreciated! - David

More about : quick answer am3

a c 103 à CPUs
July 6, 2011 7:14:32 PM

Yes am3 chips will work on am3+ boards, same as am2 chips work on am2+ plates,
maybe a bios revision needed but you should be fine,
although if you've gone am3+ on the board, the minimum chip I'd put in there would be a 955BE
Moto
m
l
July 6, 2011 7:27:00 PM

well it is a completely new build and i cannot get the comp to post or the cpu even get warm (yes i have a Heatsinkfan on it) so i called asus and they told me the CPU and mobo were not compatible lol but i will show them...so i ordered a replacement CPU from newegg and i will plug it in to see if this is the problem...ive already check the PSU CPU plug in with a multimeter so that is not the prob...anywho i will repost if anything goes wrong when i try out the new CPU in 2 days :)  thank you for your answer :) 
m
l
Related resources
a c 81 à CPUs
July 6, 2011 7:27:52 PM

www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/SABERTOOTH_990FX/...

Send this link to that idiot who took your call. The link shows every CPU from a Sempron to the latest Phenom II X6 as compatible with the Asus Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ board. So clearly AM3 CPU's are compatible with AM3+ chipset boards. Besides, why would any manufacturer launch boards without any processor ready for it!
m
l
a c 111 à CPUs
July 6, 2011 9:47:23 PM

Was that Asus, North Dakota, with whom you talked ??

Asus Tire and Auto ??

Asus Lawn and Labor ??

(somebody stop me ...)
m
l
a c 103 à CPUs
July 6, 2011 9:57:30 PM

Asus just getting silly now....
Works best with irish accent :-)
Moto
m
l