Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Last check for AMD build before buying

Last response: in Systems
April 4, 2011 5:07:11 AM

WAAAZUUP guys haha, i just want you to rate for one more time this amd rig i built for a friend just to be sure before buying. I've made a lot of changes since the beginning so i want to be sure. The purpose is gaming, and we will be buying just after you rate it. we prefer amazon since we dont live in the US. He already has a psu and a gpu, Corsair tx650, and HD 5850.

this is what i got so far:

CM 690 II Advanced case: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00336EM0W/ref=ox_sc_a...

Asus Crosshair IV Formula: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003G40Z66/ref=ox_sc_a...

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003FVI2KQ/ref=ox_sc_a...

Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001U3S5S0/ref=ox_sc_a...

Lite-On LightScribe 24X SATA DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002SIMPXM/ref=ox_sc_a...

G.Skill Ripjaws 4gb DDR3 1600Ghz: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002RPCLH6/ref=ox_sc_a...

Total is $675, maximum budget being $700

Ant comment and recommendation will be highly appreciated!!!!

More about : check amd build buying

April 4, 2011 5:27:26 AM

If you want builds that already have all the compatibilities for parts checked heres some links
PC Budget Builds
Our own toms hardware website $500 build
you can tweak these as you like
you can get a 1 TB hard drve and maybe even a SSD with the money you will save on the power supply and the graphics since you already have them
m
l
April 4, 2011 5:29:18 AM

i want to know about the parts i chose haha, but thanks man, i had already checked the guides
m
l
Related resources
April 4, 2011 5:34:46 AM

Well you MOBO doesnt show that its compatible with the X6 line of Phenom 2s. Ram looks ok case.. meh but its good.
this is a better case IMO
Cooler Master Storm Scout Case better cooling and more room and even cheaper. actually your mobo is compatible my bad
I would consider buying a less expensive AMD motherboard. But I dont know enough about AMD MOBOs that I could suggest one
I found one that would fit your needs however
BIOSTAR TA890FXE Motherboard
m
l

Best solution

April 4, 2011 7:50:30 AM

Is there a reason you went with AMD instead of intel?

You can buy a sandy bridge CPU and motherboard for the same price.

ASUS P8P67 EVO $210.94

Intel Core i5 Processor i5-2500K $224.99

Total: $435.93

Your AMD motherboard and cpu: $439.11

If your focusing on gaming sandy bridge is better
April 4, 2011 8:05:18 AM

Shes right. Thats why I said I didnt know to much about AMD boards. I use the i7 2600k for my build.
m
l
April 4, 2011 1:36:07 PM

Yeah, right now Intel is the only way to go for a gaming build (with the exception of sub $500 builds) If you must have AMD then you should wait for bulldozer. The x6 offers no benefit to games, as a matter of fact the 955be performs just as well.

That mobo is way too overpriced to drop on AMD, the ASrock 870 extreme is a very nice board for crossfire capability.
m
l
April 4, 2011 8:27:18 PM

Gamer-girl said:
Is there a reason you went with AMD instead of intel?

You can buy a sandy bridge CPU and motherboard for the same price.

ASUS P8P67 EVO $210.94

Intel Core i5 Processor i5-2500K $224.99

Total: $435.93

Your AMD motherboard and cpu: $439.11

If your focusing on gaming sandy bridge is better

well, bulldozer will be compatible with this mobo too, and im not quite sure yet about the quality of sandy bridge mobos, with the amd, im getting the top of the top gives me more security
m
l
April 4, 2011 8:29:33 PM

zooted said:
Yeah, right now Intel is the only way to go for a gaming build (with the exception of sub $500 builds) If you must have AMD then you should wait for bulldozer. The x6 offers no benefit to games, as a matter of fact the 955be performs just as well.

That mobo is way too overpriced to drop on AMD, the ASrock 870 extreme is a very nice board for crossfire capability.

bulldozer will be compatible with this mobo with a bios update. i chose this one over sandybridge because im getting the best of the best haha, gives me more security, sandybridge mobos have a lot of bad reviews on newegg, thats why i did not choose sandybridge over amd
m
l
April 4, 2011 8:31:00 PM

i want to be sure that im getting the best, buying a high end mobo like the crosshair formula gives less chance that will have problems and that i will have future proof, buying very cheap mobos like the asrock 870 extreme give me no security because is too cheap to be true, it could fail more easily than getting a top of the line product
m
l
April 4, 2011 8:39:39 PM

However. Click on this link and it will take you to the CPU benchmark site. This is where they test CPUs against each other. Sandy Bridge Motherboards got an update a month or two ago and they are extremely quality boards. Here is the site for the CPU benchmarks:
High-End CPU Benchmarks
This site shows that the very top of the line processor that AMD has on the market right now (AMD Opteron 6176 SE) is STILL beat by one of the best processors in the Intel Sandy Bridge line. The i7-2600k. and its less expensive by a HUGE margin. The processor you selected the AMD Phenom II X6 is still outbeat by the i5-2500k and is $20 cheaper. On newegg it runs for $209.99 and on microcenter.com its only $179.99. Also the board he suggested is perfect for the sandy bridge line of processors and ASUS ALWAYS makes quality boards :) 
If your wondering the reason behind AMD processors being slower. They may have more cores. But intels have better architecture. They transfer data faster and more efficiently. Thats why one of the Intel Xeon class processors is at the top of the list. It is only a six core processor and AMD has a 12 core. But its more efficient and around the same price as the Opteron. AMD has got it for price/performance in the lower end CPUs. But if you want high end gaming. Go intel. :D 
m
l
April 11, 2011 2:54:46 PM

Best answer selected by megagabobe1.
m
l
!