Computer shuts off at random times

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caustic Fox

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
Greetings to all. I'd like to start my first post with a question about a really annoying problem with my computer that I'd like to address ASAP.

Specs:
-HP A6230n
-ASUS M2n68-LA (NARRA 2) mobo
-AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ (Windsor) running stock @ 2.8GHz
-BFG GTX 260 Core 216 overclocked
-3GB DDR 2 RAM PC2-5300
-Some no name PSU: AGI 580W

My 4 year-old HP A6230n desktop has been shutting off abruptly for the past week. This usually happens when I start playing some games or watching videos. When I'm in a game, the shut off problem triggers anywhere from about 2 minutes to one hour of game play. I don't think its my RAM so to say, as it has been tested with memtest86 without error.

I doubt it's a heat related issue... meh could be (seeing as my OEM HP desktops cooling is really poor anyways... :sarcastic:). My CPU idles at around 35-38*C and my graphics card at 50*C. Under load, my CPU cores are 62-65*C and my graphics card goes at 67*C. So, with that said, I don't think its a heat related issue.

It might be my power supply. I guess overtime, it lost its efficiency to the point that its probably being overloaded when running games... or something (I don't know much about PSU's. :kaola: ). But BUT, here's where it gets me stumped. If I run benchmarking software like Prime 95, 3Dmark or Furmark (Brutal!), my computer runs those programs without a hitch. It doesn't shut off.

Okey... I know this read is kinda long so I'll try to keep it minimal. In case it is my power supply that needs replacing, could some of you spare me some recommendations on a new one? It doesn't have to be fancy or anything, just something from 550-600 watts that is somewhat quiet. Oh, and I'd like to spend more more than $75.

*deep breath* Soooo... if worst comes to worst, then it's probably my motherboard. :cry:

Thanks!

Solution
^ with all the trouble your going through - might as well get a new machinea nd then trouble shoot that if it gave any troubles. :D

just kidding, though that could be food for thought.

Welcome to the forums newcomer!
OKay we need to know the OS that your running on the rig. This shutdown issue usually states that the psu is being overloaded and it shuts down due to the auto power shutdown mechanism inside the psu. After how long can you power back your machine after a shutdown you've mentioned?

The psu shuts itself off to prevent damage to its components.

The GPU can also be a culprit as the GTX 260 core 216 overclocked is a hot running GPU. The GPU is the likely suspect as this shutdown happens when you play games or run movies -...

Caustic Fox

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011

Update: I installed a new power supply, hoping that it was the culprit. That generic PSU is now replaced by a Antec Neo Eco 620c 620W PSU.

However, the problem still persists! Even with a new PSU, my computer shuts off from the above stated symptoms. What ELSE can it be?

Lutfij

Titan
^ with all the trouble your going through - might as well get a new machinea nd then trouble shoot that if it gave any troubles. :D

just kidding, though that could be food for thought.

Welcome to the forums newcomer!
OKay we need to know the OS that your running on the rig. This shutdown issue usually states that the psu is being overloaded and it shuts down due to the auto power shutdown mechanism inside the psu. After how long can you power back your machine after a shutdown you've mentioned?

The psu shuts itself off to prevent damage to its components.

The GPU can also be a culprit as the GTX 260 core 216 overclocked is a hot running GPU. The GPU is the likely suspect as this shutdown happens when you play games or run movies - both GPU dependent. Probably the psu wasn't able to power the GPU enough and the GPU is heating up while watching movies or gaming. Another issue can be from nvidia drivers.

Like i said - post back with your OS and see if you can post back any error reports from action center (if win7)

Solution

Caustic Fox

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
Thanks. I am running Windows 7. When the shutdown happens, I can instantly power up the computer. The computer has no problems powering back on with either power supply. I get no errors nor any blue-screens. The only error that's been coming up recently is that my desktop graphics are crashing (switches to desktop Aero basic then quickly back to Aero full). Funny and weird thing is that I can run Furmark to make my GPU really hot without the shutdown problems... even when it reaches 85*C+. When I run games my GPU usually hangs at around the 63*C to 67*C normally.

Lutfij

Titan
sounds like driver issue...or maybe a virus shutting the rig. But can you post a pic of the error report from action center? * reliability history - take a snip and post back here.

*Hang on - the thing you mentioned about the psu shutting down - after how long does this happen?

**How long does your stress testing sessions go on for?

the psu shutting off on its own means that the psu is experiencing load it can't handle. As a failsafe mechanism it shuts off to minimize damage.

If you're in the market for a new PSU - which i will highly agree as an upgrade from the noname PSU - you could get a NZXT Hale90 550W psu. here

but before you click the BUY button - post back withthe questions.

Caustic Fox

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
errorsyr.png

Is this what you're talking about?

I believe you misread my second post. I just bought a new PSU (Antec Neo Eco 620c 620W) that's already installed onto my machine. My computer is still shutting off, even with a brand new PSU in it.

Lutfij

Titan
1| what is that dolphin running for?
2| can you click on the days that had a warning over it - like the last day?
3| your crashes are consistent - in fact if you notice the pattern - your system had a good reliability from the 3rd just upto 4th. Now your rig is unstable for the duration past the 4th. Do a fresh install of win7.
4| before you go ahead with a new install - i see you have 3GB DDR2 - how are they arranged? among 4 slots or 2 slots? and how are they organized; e'g; 1GB+2GB
5| I apologize for being..erm unresponsive. I'm a lil dizzy from a few nights of irregular sleep :/
6| and yeah the last thing you can do is inspect every square inch of your mobo and see if any capacitors have leaks or black marks - by the way did you hear a pop sound by any chance?

*7| getting a new rig would be the best option now as trouble shooting premade rigs are better handled by the people you bought it from :) - THIS IS MY opinion btw!

my 2 cents

Caustic Fox

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011

1. I was at the time trying to run this emulator (Dolphin.exe), but later found out that the latest nVIDIA drivers are buggy when it comes to some Open-GL applications. (I did not have any problems running Dolphin with the older drivers.)
4. I have 4 slots - filled with 2x1GB and 2x512MB sticks.
5. Ah, no worries. This issue with my system has been driving me up a wall for a while too.
6. I will do as told. :) No strange popping nosies as far I can tell. The only known popping that I know of is the normal pop that comes from the speakers whenever I boot into Windows.

7. I like your opinion. I am THIS close of just saying, "Screw this!", and concluding that it has been the board all along. So, in case this scenario DOES take a turn for the worst, I have looked around to see if I could find something that I could use with my existing hardware while still have room for upgrades.

And so I found this board: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157226

Your thoughts?

Lutfij

Titan
^ ok then fall back to the last stable driver that you can remember using from nvidia and report back.

Unistall Nvidia driver, take drivesweeper and then clean off any stradlers. RE-install nvidia drivers (last known issue free driver version) and then report back.

I'll comment on the board only and only after this post isn't helping.

:) my thoughts

okay - i looked at the board.
Probelm;
1| that board you linked is AM2+ compatible which leaves your old processor out of the party
2| i can understand that you'd want to keep your rams, but bro the timmings might not matchup - so we'll see you again on the forums trying to troubleshoot instability or no boot scenarios.

take a look at these boards- a lil pricey but well worth it - if your sticking to old tech; both compatible with athlon 64 cpu's
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131595

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130266

Caustic Fox

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
I know the problem now. I opened up my case today to have a proper examination at my board as others have suggested of me doing. After removing all of my expansion cards, I had a look at each of the capacitors. And sure enough, near the CPU area I found four bulging capacitors. One of these had the black liquid exposed on the top. I guess nothing else more needs to be said. Time for a new motherboard! :( :wahoo:

So in the end, it's my motherboard that was the main culprit.

For right now, I'm looking primarily at a AM2/AM2+/AM3 board to go along with, mostly because I currently don't have the dough to plonker down for a new CPU upgrade. I'd like to be able to use most of my existing components if possible.

Btw... thanks for the support lutfig. :D

Lutfij

Titan
:lol: its lutfij not lutfig :lol: actually Lutfi, j :/

take a look at the boards i linked - both are compatible with your socket and i think has room for a newer cpu dropping.

Don't sweat it bro, we're here to help thas why you came to tom's in the first place.
Just remember to post on Tom's for any new advice!

All thas left is select "best answer" and close this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.