Build advice on a game development /gaming + 3d animation PC

dai_katana

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
Hello. I want to build a new system that I can use for 3 purposes: Playing games, game development, and possibly play around with 3ds max, maya and autocad inventor (I have a free subscription to these that I'd like to make use of)... I know that Maya normally requires a workstation card but I also know that consumer grade graphics cards have also been tested and work (although not supported or recommended). That being said, I am not against a workstation build, I am just not used to them and don't know whether they'd run normal games (since workstation cards are usually a tad slower and aimed at precision rather than power if I am not mistaken).

So what would you recommend?

Approximate Purchase Date: April 10- May 30

Budget Range: Approximately 1000-1500 USD

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Game development, gaming, 3ds max, Maya, autocad inventor

Parts Not Required: Keyboard

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, Other(s)

Country of Origin: USA (however, I may have to move to Turkey for work reasons so I am not sure whether I should buy in US and deal with the problems of warranty abroad in case of device failure)

Parts Preferences: Internationally recognized and international warranty coverage preferred (but not necessary)

Overclocking: Yes (possibly)

SLI or Crossfire: If required (but option for future should exist)

Monitor Resolution: Unsure Yet

Additional Comments: I want to be able to use this system for at least 3-4 years with upgrades along the way as necessary.

Solution
Only get a bluray if you need it, digital distribution is getting more popular than physical media. Id agree with the megamans post as that build can be a starting point but needs a case change. It even says in the article they just wanted to try something different for the case. It might also help to get 2x4Gb for ram.

Gaming cards do just as well of a job as workstation cards. Really workstation cards are for those whos actual job it is to do this stuff where the extra stability can save the company time and money. The main difference in gaming cards vs workstation cards is the driver which you can softmod a gaming to a workstation, but this is really not necessary.
Start with this

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-6950-unlock-build-a-pc-overclock,2893.html

You may want to upgrade to a Blu ray drive though and choose a different case like the Antec 300. For gaming and game development you need a gaming card. If you're going to spend more time doing 3d modeling and environment modeling (like all day and much more than coding stuff) then you would want a workstation graphics card instead. Of course, workstation cards aren't always optimized for gaming so the performance you get on it when testing won't reflect what someone with a cheaper gaming card will experience.

Only get a bluray if you need it, digital distribution is getting more popular than physical media. Id agree with the megamans post as that build can be a starting point but needs a case change. It even says in the article they just wanted to try something different for the case. It might also help to get 2x4Gb for ram.

Gaming cards do just as well of a job as workstation cards. Really workstation cards are for those whos actual job it is to do this stuff where the extra stability can save the company time and money. The main difference in gaming cards vs workstation cards is the driver which you can softmod a gaming to a workstation, but this is really not necessary.

Solution

dai_katana

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011

Hmm.. this is a nice build, but would I benefit from a core-i7 2600k instead of the core-i5 2500k? I know the core-i7 is a little more expensive but the i7's have hyper threading, right? If I am not mistaken 3d rendering and game development benefits from hyper threading and advanced multi-tasking? Also, I was considering adding an SSD in there for faster performance. Would this motherboard support it? Also, I had read that the Sandy Bridge motherboard chipsets have some problems regarding the SATA controllers? Has this problem been fixed?

dai_katana

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011

I heard soft modding is a total disaster, so that is a no no :non: for the time being. However, as you said, I am only going to do it for fun so I really don't need the extra stability offered by workstation cards. (but just in case, do you have any solid success stories or references for soft modding? which graphic cards are more soft modding compatible/friendly, that sort of thing)

dai_katana

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
Also, does that card support Crossfire? I do intend on cross firing in the future, so I was wondering if it is possible (most 1155 boards usually support only x8,x8 @dual mode at best and I have yet to see a x16 x16 @dual mode when crossfired for these boards).

Ok, what about any advice on a socket 1366 system? I know sandy bridge is the new gen, but wouldn't that mean that the 1366 is cheaper now? Also, what does the future hold for the 1366? My main reason for considering a 1366 is because most of their motherboards support crossfire @x16,x16 mode...

Like I said before, softmodding is really not necessary, I model on regular geforce and ati cards and have no problem at all.

x8/x8 is just fine, the only drop in performance is for 3 monitor setups and even that is minuscule. http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/08/23/gtx_480_sli_pcie_bandwidth_perf_x16x16_vs_x8x8/ x16/16 also comes with a hefty pricetag even on the x58 platform. There are p67 mobos that have x16/16, here is one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131714

And heres the article/benchmarks about the i5 vs i7 vs other cpus. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sandy-bridge-core-i7-2600k-core-i5-2500k,2833-15.html The 1366 has not dropped in price as 1155 replaced 1156. But a 1366 i7 950 build and a 1155 i7 2600k build are similarly priced.

The SB mobo issue has been fixed and will have b3 showing on the box and in the name to show it is one of the fixed mobos. That cards does support crossfire. Also if youre going to crossfire later, you might want to get a bigger psu so you wouldnt need to buy a new one. If it is in your budget then get an ssd, but maybe wait till the new ones come out so the old ones get a price drop.

dai_katana

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011

Thank you for the informative reply. So you think that the 6950 can do modelling then? What do you use when you model on regular ATI and geforce cards?

Well when I first started was way back using an x1300 pro 256mb, which could only get to around 15k polys before it started lagging(which is about 1 med poly car model). Now my univ's pcs and macs, use 8800gt or hd 5670, and I dont even pay attention to poly count as Ive never had it lag even when having a full environment. Ive had no problems with any of these.