Sign in with
Your question

TX650 quality issues???

Last response: in Components
July 7, 2011 12:44:37 AM

My first TX650 that I got would randomly shut off or reboot. So Corsair sent me a brand new one. Now after about 1.5 mths the cord in the back droops down and it will shut off power. Now I have to place a box right under where the plug goes into the PSU to keep it in the correct position. Is anyone else having this problem or is it bad luck with this model? I know that they make a great product, I just bought another Corsair PSU two weeks ago. Thanks.

More about : tx650 quality issues

a c 96 ) Power supply
July 7, 2011 4:40:38 AM

Sharp bends under stress will cause a 'creep' condition which will eventually lead to failure. That's why you will see strain relief coil springs at the ends where bends may be encountered.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
July 7, 2011 6:28:10 AM

Overall it's a great PSU. That said, the pure weight of the cable isn't enough to cause the issue you describe, I'm willing to bet the cable is under stress?

You have two solutions: Keep the box under there (and make sure its plugged in hard enough, a disconnecting PSU cable can cause issues on your motherboard due to shut-off/turn on spikes or power surges) or buy a new case with a bottom-mounted PSU position. They aren't too expensive nowadays and relieves a lot of issues with power cables. Second option is my favourite here, the cable no longer has to reach up to the PSU and lies on the ground/tabletop/stand/wherever the tower is located, rising only ~50mm to plug into the PSU. It's the most loving thing about my new case (that, and ventilation), so I can recommend looking into it.
m
l
Related resources
July 7, 2011 2:33:05 PM

The computer is sitting right behind the TV so it is parallel to each other. The case is set up for the PSU on the bottom so there isn't any creeping or anything like that. Would that be a warranty issue?
m
l
a c 1203 ) Power supply
July 7, 2011 3:23:10 PM

Are you using the AC power cord that came with the power supply unit? Did Corsair also replace the AC power cord?
m
l
July 7, 2011 3:34:16 PM

ko888 said:
Are you using the AC power cord that came with the power supply unit? Did Corsair also replace the AC power cord?

Yes, I first used the cord from the original PSU. Then I switched to the cord that come with the new PSU when Corsair sent me another new PSU. Same results.
m
l
!