Your question

CPU buzzing sounds

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Login
Last response: in CPUs
July 7, 2011 2:16:46 AM

Hello,
my CPU gives sound as if any wire is being cut.this sound starts from booting time to login then it stops.To stop the sound i try to shake CPU which eventually helps in reducing sound effect.Any help will be appreiated

More about : cpu buzzing sounds

July 7, 2011 2:20:39 AM

Hello,
There are many parts in your computer tower, CPU is only one of them and is one that's unlikely to give buzzing sounds. To be sure where the problem is you need to take off the cover and locate the exact source of buzzing. Please do that first so we can see how to solve that problem.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 7, 2011 2:29:23 AM

The CPU cannot make any sound, but the CPU fan can and does often become noisy. Replacement of the CPU fan and heatsink is the normal cure. Don’t forget to correctly apply the heatsink compound when fitting a new heatsink.
m
l
Related resources
July 7, 2011 2:37:07 AM

pjmelect said:
The CPU cannot make any sound, but the CPU fan can and does often become noisy. Replacement of the CPU fan and heatsink is the normal cure. Don’t forget to correctly apply the heatsink compound when fitting a new heatsink.

CPU fans may become noisy, but usually not a buzzing sound. It's more likely to be a bad capacitor on the mobo or PSU, etc
m
l
a c 127 à CPUs
July 7, 2011 2:58:57 AM

szbxa said:
CPU fans may become noisy, but usually not a buzzing sound. It's more likely to be a bad capacitor on the mobo or PSU, etc

From my experience, a CPU fan may have a slight buzzing noise if the bearings are going bad.

The best way to find out is to take a round cardboard item, like from paper towels, and use it to pinpoint the sound.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 7, 2011 3:49:12 AM

The best way to see if the fan is buzzing is to momentarily disconnect the fan at the header and see if the noise stops.
m
l
!