Sign in with
Your question
Solved

CPU going 80+ degrees in BIOS

Last response: in CPUs
July 7, 2011 3:49:25 AM

Last night I was running a few tests on my computer for stability on my graphics card since I over clocked it... I ran Kombuster and it was going on for 5-6 minutes untill my computer crashed and showed quite odd colour lines on my screen... I turned the PC off and tried turning it back on with no success... The computer seemed to be stuck in a restarting loop... I saw my DVD drive just blinking and blinking, exactly how it would when it gets restarted, the HDD light was also on...

I took the PC apart, trying to see which parts would have caused this problem;
-I started with the RAM and took out all 4 pieces and just put in the one,
-I took out the CMOS battery to clear the CMOS and placed it back in,
-Disconnected all my IDE drives (DVD drives + an old hard drive) and left in my SATA HDD drive,
-Checked to see if all cabling for the motherboard was well connected,
-Made sure the heat sink was on properly, though I did notice majority of the thermal paste was gone, but their was still a small amount left... I highly doubt it is the paste because one minute the CPU ran fine and the next its having fits...
-Disconnected all excess fans, thinking that their would be too much load on the PSU,
-Disconnected the ATI 5770 and reconnected it.

Once doing all that, I managed to get to the BIOS, checked my temperatures and my Q9400 quad core processor was hovering at a temperature of 82-83 degrees, left it like that for around 10-15 minutes to see if some sort of miracle would happen... but what were the chances of that...

After seeing the Quad hovering at that temperature, I decided to put in my old Pentium 4 3Ghz processor to see if it was also getting high temperatures, and what a guess, it was! The Pentium 4 got up to 93 until I decided to turn it off, thinking that it would set my mobo on fire... I then read that the Pentium 4 has capabilities to slow its self down when it is at high temperatures, so I then went all the way and let it boot into Windows, though that failed... I would get a screen saying "Windows is loading files" or something like that, and the loading bar would just repeat twice until the computer decided to turn itself off...

I'm quite confused to what component is causing this problem... but I'm leading towards the motherboard... Gotta' be honest, the EP31-DS3L is a pretty sh*t board, I aint surprised that after 3 years it decided to go kapottt.

Here's a detailed system spec:
Intel Core 2 Quad – Q9400 @ 2.66Ghz (was over clocked to 3.2Ghz and 3.54Ghz)
Gigabyte EP31-DS3L
5GB RAM – 1GB/1GB/1GB/2GB @ 800Mhz – Kingston (4GB usable)
Powercolour 5770 1GB DDR5 – v1
500GB Seagate SATA + 120GB WD IDE
2X Optical Drives – LG (CD/DVD-RW+DL) + AOpen (CD-RW/DVD)
Thermaltake V9 Case
Vantec ION2 520W – Gun of a PSU :) 

Uhm yeah, that's about it...
Technology really doesn't like me, probably the third/fourth time a computer decided to not work on me :| Just my f*cking luck lol...

All help, is REALLY appreciated and would be really valued! I really need to fix my PC because it's really vital that it works!
Sorry for the long read lol...

Thanks so much,
David

More about : cpu degrees bios

a c 97 à CPUs
July 7, 2011 4:35:10 AM

ddavij said:

-Made sure the heat sink was on properly, though I did notice majority of the thermal paste was gone, but their was still a small amount left... I highly doubt it is the paste because one minute the CPU ran fine and the next its having fits...

This is an indication of poor heat transfer resulting from inadequate thermal compound. The CPU/heatsink combination expands and distorts under temperature. Adequate (thin film) of thermal compound complies with this minute expansion and distortion. That is why proper application is important.

Don't worry about the long post. It is better than inadequate information.

From what you describe, it looks like you are in the market for a replacement motherboard.
m
l
July 7, 2011 4:53:27 AM

could it actually be the motherboards fault even though I can now get into BIOS and to Windows loading screen, though it shuts down...
so im guessing solutions would be either:
-new thermal paste between cpu + heatsink
-new motherboard because it may be damaged

I'm just really hoping that it isn't the motherboard, then I'd need to go through eBay to get a new mobo :pfff: 

well thanks for the info tho dude, really appreciate it :) 
m
l
Related resources
a c 97 à CPUs
July 7, 2011 4:58:36 AM

Start with the easier of the two options you listed. Re-seat the CPU/heatsink.

If you are going eBay, make sure you get the exact same motherboard. Sometimes, part numbers are used loosely.
m
l

Best solution

a c 126 à CPUs
July 7, 2011 5:29:02 AM

It is possible that a voltage regulator on the motherboard is bad and is providing too much voltage to the CPU. Does the BIOS have a screen with the amount of voltage being pushed to the Q9400? It should be around 0.85 (minimum) to 1.3625 (maximum) per Intels site:

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=35365&processor=Q9...

That would be the only way I could see that the mobo could cause the issue. A bad sensor on the mobo wouldn't cause the issue because the CPU has its own internal thermal monitor that allows it to shut itself down (as yours is doing). Also make sure that you have the latest BIOS for the mobo:

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...

Then make sure to reseat the heatsink with new thermal paste, make sure to clean the old past off both the CPU and heatsink with at least 90% iso alcohol, I use 99% because I am that anal about it being near perfect when I re-apply thermal paste.

I assume you are using a after market cooler if you are overclocking. If not, you will want to. The stock one is never decent enough for it. I like my Zalman CNPS9700. All copper and near perfect base (almost like a mirror).

As for thermal paste, for AS5 you want follow these instructions exactly for the best application:

http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appmeth/int/hl/intel_ap...

Remember each paste is different as is each CPU. For me, I use IC Diamond 24 and they have to be applied in a peas sized drop, left to sit for 10 minutes then apply pressure. For yours and AS5, you want to do as the link I posted suggests to get the best coverage.

Hopefully that helps you out a bit. The Q9400 is a 45nm part and those can normally overclock to 4GHz on air and still stay within 30c idle and 55c load.
July 7, 2011 7:00:09 AM

Sorry for the late reply, didn't realise I had a reply :wahoo: 
Well I just booted up my PC, went into the BIOS and it seems that the motherboard is feeding the Q9400 with 1.172V, which is pretty normal as I've seen the motherboard give the Q9400 those same voltages before this whole thing... I'm really starting to think that my temperature sensor that's on the motherboard is buggered, but I also question that because when I put my Pentium 4 in my system (Since I don't give a hoot if that fries) it turned off as it was starting Windows, but it was running A LOT hotter, right now the Q9400 is doing 67 degrees in BIOS whilst the Pentium 4 was doing 91+...

My best guess at this stage, would be the thermal paste... I just really hope it is that and that I don't have a dead core in my Q9400... if that happened, I'd be needing to pay a pretty big bill for chucking the computer through a wall... :fou: 

As for the CPU cooling, yes it's stock, I have had intentions to get an after market heat sinker but I don't seem to find it a must as the air flow through my Thermaltake V9 case is superb... Back before all this happened, I did over clock my CPU to 3.54Ghz and was just averaging 67 degrees when running Prime95...

With the thermal paste, I will be getting the AS5 as you suggested... fingers crosses that thermal paste solves the problem and temperatures on the CPU will decrease! :ange: 

Thank you so much for your post, really has cleared up a few things I was questioning myself...
Will post the results tomorrow of how the thermal paste did! God, I think ill wimp out to turn the computer on after applying the thermal paste cause I don't wanna see if the temperatures are still at 60+ :sarcastic: 

David.
m
l
July 8, 2011 6:09:17 AM

PROBLEM FIXED! :bounce: 
I can't believe that this was all caused due to the damn thermal paste!
I just went and purchased a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus and temperatures are as low as 21 degrees! This is freekin insane! I've never seen my cpu temp that low! It's never been lower then my system temperature :D 
I also had my doubts that the whole heat sinker would work because I used the in-the-box thermal paste that came with the heat sink, only because the guy at MSY said that it's practically the same as the Arctic Silver 5... My dad's offered to drive me back to the store to get Arctic Silver 5 tomorrow to see if the temperatures will drop to 19 or below! Would really like some feedback weather it would make a difference :) 

Thanks so much everyone!
m
l
July 8, 2011 6:09:44 AM

Best answer selected by ddavij.
m
l
!