Go with 5770 X-Fire or upgrade/new system?

Hey Folks,

For better or worse I went with 5770 probably about a year ago with the idea of x-firing in the future. But I do wonder if should have just picked up an 5850 then. Anyhow my question.

My specs:
Q9300 on ASUS Maximus Formula
4 gigs OCZ PC2-6400
OCZ 750W
Antec Nine Hundred Case

I run a resolution of 1680 x 1050 on 22 inch monitor. Currently playing Black Ops and TF2 at the moment.

Should I pick up another 5770 and go X-Fire? Will CPU be bottle neck? Or anyone recommend a better single GPU upgrade. Or is it time to completely upgrade to new system? You can pick up a 5770 for about 120-140 online.
7 answers Last reply
More about 5770 fire upgrade system
  1. Is the Q9300 oced? and if not do you plan to oc it?

Cheapest option is to CF:

99.99 with rebate ;)

I prefer single card solutions. Budget?
  2. Your CPU is fine. Just push it a little and it should be alright. CF sounds like a good idea. Games that do not support CF are usually older games which could be easily handled by a single 5770.
  3. Not really on a budget but don't want to drop 400 on new card when perhaps a new system for say 1500-2000 would be smarter, see where I am coming from.....I have been and can OC it. Good cooling system even though NB seems to get a little hot at times.
  4. Your CPU isn't actually a bottleneck, Q9XXX series is actually still top dog quad core wise, benchmark wise it still tops AMD Phenom II X4 Denems.

So you should go with the dual 5770's.
  5. I'm kinda in the same situation with my 5850 and the way prices are dropping on 5xxx series cards i'm buying another.
    Was kind of the whole point of buying a x-fire mobo in the first place.
  6. yeah WTH go with another 5770...thanks for help...think I just needed to hear it out "loud". :D Got to make sure she will all fit though :)
  7. MajestyMephisto said:
    yeah WTH go with another 5770...thanks for help...think I just needed to hear it out "loud". :D Got to make sure she will all fit though :)

If you're worried about the card fitting and haven't purchased it yet, you could always go for this single slot 5770 like I did.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics Product