Sign in with
Your question

Constant Reboot when starting Windows 7 with new build.

Last response: in Systems
April 4, 2011 3:12:34 PM

Hello all,

I've got a new build that is driving me absolutely bonkers. I've tried diagnosing the problems I'm encountering, but am at a loss. Here're the components:

Processor: Intel i7-950 Bloomfield
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth x58
Memory: Corsair XMS3 6GB DDR3 1333 (Edit: Typing this out, just now, I think this might be the problem)
Video: PNY VCGGTX550TXPB GTX 550 Ti
HDD: Western Digital WD10EALS 1TB

What I'm experiencing is a system reboot as soon as the system gets to "Starting Windows". The machine POSTs and all seems well, until the Windows screen.

As I noted above, I think the memory may be incompatible with the processor (which Intel lists DDR800 and DDR1066 as the compatible speeds). Would that likely result in a failure for Windows to proceed past the "Starting Windows" screen? I suppose it could. Any insight? Am I onto the problem here?
April 4, 2011 4:15:32 PM

Hello MisterStickabee;

There is usually no problem with the RAM running at DDR3 1066 even it is rated @ 1333. The MB usually picks a 'safe' option anyway.

Have you tested with just 1 stick of RAM yet? Test each stick individually.
And in case it's a MB RAM slot problem use one of the other slots in the other channel as well.
m
l
April 4, 2011 5:24:03 PM

Thanks for the assist, WR2. It didn't resolve my issue, but it helped me realize that my post left a lot to be desired, so I'll try to bring everyone up to speed on what I've tried:

Each stick of RAM was tested, in each of the slots, with no change in the result.

I've had one motherboard replaced, thinking that to be the problem, with no change in the result.

I've disconnected all components but for the motherboard and HDD, with no change in the result.

I've tried a different, lower end video card (GeForce 8800 series), with no change in the result.

I've replaced the 500W PSU with a 900W, distributed the peripherals evenly among the rails, with no change in the result.

I've reinstalled Windows 7 twice, with no change in the result.

I've updated the motherboard BIOS to the latest rev.

And as an aside, it should be noted that I am having another problem with my video not working through the DVI port on my monitor, but the VGA input, sourced from a DVI output on the video card with a VGA adapter on it seems to work correctly. This may or may not be related, but it's an additional piece of information that I had withheld in the interest of not getting too much info out there.
m
l
Related resources
!