Weird PSU issue? bad PSU?

jboogie62

Distinguished
May 29, 2011
So sometimes when i shut off my computer, it won't turn back on. I get under the desk and unplug all the connectors from my surge protector, and replug everything back in and voila, the computer turns back on. Also, i have a scsi lite-on DVD rom/rw that says it's working properly etc but won't read any cd's/dvds at all including the driver disc that came with it. PSU going bad or some other issue i am overlooking? i also checked the sata cables from my drive, and reseated them and attached the sata data to another sata port on my mobo. still nothing. HEEELLLLPPP!!

How what do you mean it won't turn on? Just like it's completely dead? Or it won't start windows? Does it beep when you try to turn it on? When it won't turn on, are there any lights on inside your computer or on the power supply? It could just be a tricky power button that's broken on your case.

jboogie62

Distinguished
May 29, 2011
yeah, like it's completely dead, no power to it at all. won't charge my phone through the front USB port, no beeps, nothing. no lights at all until i unplug everything from the surge protector and plug it all back in, then it works. it works every time i do it to. so it will be like it's dead, then it will turn back on when i unplug everything and plug it back in.

westom

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 30, 2009

A power controller determines if a supply can power on, if the CPU can execute, and if a computer must power off. Your solution starts by measuring what a power controller sees and what it is commanding. That means one minute with a multimeter. A tool so simple as to be sold to 13 years olds in Kmart. Or sold elsewhere for $5 or $18. Without numbers from a meter, your every reply can only be wild speculation.

Get the meter and directions for that one minute of labor. Otherwise, have answers that only say, "It might be ...".

TRENDING THREADS