Sign in with
Your question

What type of PC should i get

Last response: in Systems
April 2, 2011 6:31:43 PM

Hi, Im new,but yea..... Anyway I wanna get a new computer to run battlefield 3 and people tell me to get it custom and i heard if you get it custom you have to put it together yourself and i cant do that
so i wanna know whats a good gaming pc that isnt too expensive but can run battlefield 3 and other games that are coming out this year.

More about : type

April 2, 2011 10:03:11 PM

A custom build doesn't always mean you build it yourself. But that's the best way to pick the parts yourself and/or save money.

You can buy your PC from a place that will allow you to customize it yourself like iBuyPower:

http://www.ibuypower.com/

I build my own PC, so I really don't know many sites that allows you to customize. From iBuyPower's site I generally recommend......

CPU
Generally speaking, you should get an Intel i5 - 2500 or i5 - 2500k. The "k" model allows you to overclock your CPU. Additionally it seems iBuyPower has a free upgrade from the i5 - 2500 to the i5 - 2500k so that a decent deal.

Video
Over the past few years I have preferred ATI cards over nVidia mostly due to lower power consumption while still having great performance. Assuming you will buy a 1920 x 1080 or 1920 x 1200 resolution monitor, you will probably want to buy at least the HD 6870 if you want to use high quality graphic settings.

RAM
I generally buy Corsair brand. 8GB should be more than enough for gamers. 4GB the minimum recommendation.

Power Supply
Recommended brands are (in order of preference): XFX, Corsair, Enermax and Silverstone. A 600w PSU should be more than enough, but most importantly the brand name will determine the quality and of course it will cost more. I generally do not recommend cutting corners with an unknown brand.

Motherboard
I have no idea since I am not looking at upgrading my current PC so I don't know which ones are better than others.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I am guessing you can figure out the rest by yourself.
April 3, 2011 2:28:24 AM

Adding to jaguarskx's post.
For the motherboard you would want a P67A motherboard which supports overclocking but no onboard graphics.
The best boards out there under $200 in my opinion is the
Asus P8P67 Pro (or regular.)
Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4-B3 or the UD3(or UD3P).
MSi P67A-GD65 or GD55.
Related resources
April 3, 2011 9:57:09 AM

Do you have a budget ??

and do you have any parts you don't need to buy?? (monitor, mouse, etc)??

Do you have any plans of overclocking??

Don't know the vendor jaguarskx refers to, but to customise, is the right thing to do, if you don't want to build it your self
April 4, 2011 5:13:27 AM

Make sure you get a dx11 graphics card.

I recommend building yourself. Not very hard to do.
April 4, 2011 7:29:41 AM

I think of building a computer as legos for adults.

It's very simple and if you are looking to build a very basic pc you are looking at maybe 10 parts + an OS.
April 4, 2011 4:46:51 PM

This topic has been moved from the section Video Games to section Systems by Mousemonkey
!