Cloning my HDD to SSD

mahidoes

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
I have windows 8 Pro in my WD3200BEKT. (2.5in HDD Drive)

I'm purchasing a 120gb SSD and 1TB HDD.
I can't do a clean install for several reasons. Only way is cloning. What i want to do is

1) Plug the 1TB Drive copy the Data to 1tB and delete from 320GB and make 320GB under 120GB to facilitating cloning..
2) Clone 320GB to 120GB SSD and remove the 320GB HDD
3) Adding 1TB HDD Data to Library.

I know the procedure. I have done it. But not with Win 8 and SSD. I did in HDD and windows XP. So is their any place i can get a good guide? I had a link for Win 7 cloning which i lost right now. I can't clean install i have lost lot of serial keys i have done lot of customization to my programs. Some Program developers are not alive :D

Solution
As long as you don't have more than 120GB on your HDD it should work. I done this last week from a 1TB Seagate Barracuda to a 256GB OCZ Vertex 4. System was running Windows 8 Pro 64-bit.

The software used was Acronis Migrate Easy but alternative cloning programs should work too.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but does that Crucial cable work for any hard drive or just Crucial SSD's? 1 hour sounds amazingly fast for a disk clone.

mahidoes

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
This is about win 8 and my ssd is not crucial it is intel SSD 330.
I want to clone Win 8 Pro in my WD Black 320GB notebook Hardrive to Intell SSD 330 120GB

(Though HDD is 320GB only 90GB is stored)

ELMO_2006

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
I have Win8 Pro and I have successfully migrated the OS from a mechanical HDD to an SSD without issue. I then ran a utility to check the alignment and all was well.

For sh^&s and giggles I decided to re-install the old fashion method as I was bored.

I have also used the same utility to migrate the Windows 7 OS from the netbook HDD to a new SSD without issue as well.

casper1973

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
As long as you don't have more than 120GB on your HDD it should work. I done this last week from a 1TB Seagate Barracuda to a 256GB OCZ Vertex 4. System was running Windows 8 Pro 64-bit.

The software used was Acronis Migrate Easy but alternative cloning programs should work too.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but does that Crucial cable work for any hard drive or just Crucial SSD's? 1 hour sounds amazingly fast for a disk clone.

Solution

ram1009

Distinguished

The kit you're suggesting is for Crucial M4 only. Actually it is made by a company called Apricorn who offers it in generic form.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=848760&Q=&is=REG&A=details

larslars

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013
I had a lot of problems on my Samsung series 5 touch switching from the original 500 HDD to a new 256 SSD

Using different cloning and partition tools - and boot fixing software brought me no-where! I downloaded a new trial version of windows 8 and copied it to a USB stick - and that wouldn't install either! (Installation could not find partition). I did however learn a lot about GPT drives and using diskpart. After 2 days of trying to make my cloned disk work I started from scratch with new software - and thistime it did work like a charm. So some cloning software does not clone the disk the right way and gives boot errors.

Step 1: I reduced the c: drive partition on the 500 HDD so that the whole disk could fit on the new 256 SDD using EaseUS Partition Master 9.2.1 Home Edition.

Step 2: Using EaseUS Todo Backup Free from the same software company I cloned the HDD to the SSD via an USB cable.

Step 3: Replaced the disks and booted without the issues I had experienced before. Succes!

pvwebb

Honorable
May 11, 2013
Cloning a Windows 8 OEM HD with the security BIOS for Windows 8 is completely different than cloning a HD upgraded to Windows 8. Cloning a HD upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 8 is the same as cloning a Windows 7 HD. The new security on Windows 8, which includes the BIOS, makes you jump through hoops. I’ve done both of these clones. At the time I did the Windows 8 OEM clone, none of the software I had would work completely. You have to set the BIOS to allow the cloning. The computer/mainboard manufacturer should tell you how to do that. Another issue is the extra partition that’s an unknown format to most software. My son, who has an MS in computer engineering, was able to do the clone using Linux. But, then is had to use Windows recovery in command prompt mode to assign all the partitions to the proper drive letters one partition at a time to get the cloned drive to work. The clone is working great. Because the BIOS for Windows 8 is set up to fast boot, it only takes 5 to 8 seconds to boot into Windows. I keep looking to see if cloning software has been updated for to clone Windows 8 OEM drives.

chudddds

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012

that is a ridiculous statement. acronis 13, paragon disc mgr 12, and many others work just fine.

max713

Honorable
Sep 9, 2013
hi,
i also want to clone my hdd partition (windows8_os) to the new ssd.
i've downloaded paragon backup and recovery 2013 free, because this should work fine with that. But i dont know how to clone, because actually there is no "clone" option at all. do i have to backup the partition to an external drive and then recover this backup to the new ssd? or is there a much simpler way?
thanks in advance

PJF87

Reputable
Aug 13, 2014
Hi there. I'm in the process of attempting to clone my old HDD to a new SSD using Paragon Migrate OS to SSD.. Just wondering, before I go fully ahead with it.. When should you or should you not check the box for "create new EFI boot entry for destination drive???

vudeshie

Honorable
Sep 26, 2013
Hi
would you be able to list the steps in greater detail, please? I am trying to do this i.e. do window 8 OEM clone to the SSD but it just does not work. How do I set the BIOS to enable cloning and booting from the SSD (i.e the cloned windows) rather than the original secure version of windows that is linked to the BIOS?
Thanks,