Hey Borg players,...

Last response: in Video Games
Share
September 8, 2005 6:56:47 AM

you know the annoying troop conversion thing, do you? If not it is like
that:

Assume player A and B have a base on the same planet and also there is
a Borg base. All bases are set to peaceful. Now A and B become hostile,
but the relation ship to the Borg stays unchanged. Then even if all
bases are set to peaceful then Borg troop conversion takes place.

This is

1st) because the Borg troop conversion is an event which takes place in
GA routine if the routine is invoked not matter how base attack
settings are and
2nd) because the GA routine is invoked only if two players with a base
on the same planet are at war due to the ally menu settings no matter
how the bases are set to.

What if we would have the rule

New: Borg troop conversion only takes place if the Borg base is not set
to peaceful.

More about : hey borg players

September 8, 2005 9:21:23 AM

And what if a Borg base is attacked, don't you want it to defend
itself?!
September 8, 2005 11:57:18 AM

Well, the turn the enemy lands nothing happens. And then it should be
the players decision to set the base other then peaceful. If he forget
to do it then he deserves the losses.

The world would not sink but converting too much of the tax paying
drones into troops when assimilating an enemy base with a greater hive
is annoying.

GFM GToeroe
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 5:25:00 PM

I would be very happy if when the conversion is triggered up to 20% of
your colonists are made into troops, but that 20% is maximum percentage
of troops the base could have.

This way, if you had a Borg base with 1 million colonists the base would
never have more than 200,000 troops.

Better yet, just make it static at 10% or whatever similar to crew.
That would prevent the problem entirely, allow Borg players to load
troops onto their ships early on, and reduce the Borg ground assault
potential.
Anonymous
September 9, 2005 12:32:21 PM

gfm@gtoeroe.de wrote:
> Well, the turn the enemy lands nothing happens. And then it should be
> the players decision to set the base other then peaceful. If he forget
> to do it then he deserves the losses.
>
> The world would not sink but converting too much of the tax paying
> drones into troops when assimilating an enemy base with a greater hive
> is annoying.
>
> GFM GToeroe

I have a problem with the idea that bases and ships are lost to attacks
without resisting. Even if "W" were to welcome invading troops into my
city, they are not getting my block until I run out of ammunition. If my
ship captains just sat around being fired on by an "ally", they would be
wise to see that they didn't survive, as I would make them really sorry
for that error.

I like the idea of setting a "reaction number" every race. Let's say you
are in a game with five other players, and you set the races to:

a. 100%, no matter what your ships and/or troops will always attack them
first, regardless. (Israel & Palestine)
b. 75%, If there is no race a around, they will be attacked. They will
be the secondary target in multi race encounters.
c. 50%, an uneasy peace, in a battle they will be attacked less
frequently, Ships will withdraw rather than attack unless fired on.
d. 25%, a trading partner, some coordination of military ops, but, if
they fire on your assets, they will return fire.
e. 0%, the "true love" setting, like what we have now, no matter what
they do you will not fire on them unless the setting is changed.

Something similar was in an add-on for P3, it may have been called "the
Killing Floor", of course that may have been something else...

just my .02 Euros,

al
September 10, 2005 1:37:54 AM

gfm@gtoeroe.de wrote:
> Well, the turn the enemy lands nothing happens. And then it should be
> the players decision to set the base other then peaceful. If he forget
> to do it then he deserves the losses.

Sometimes I don't WANT to attack the enemy, I would rather take the
losses when they attack and assimilate from them (when I'm assimilating
more than they are killing anyway, or if I've got some mini-assimilators
on the way, etc...)

> The world would not sink but converting too much of the tax paying
> drones into troops when assimilating an enemy base with a greater hive
> is annoying.

If you don't want to lose colonists use a ship to assimilate them before
you land or prevent them from landing. And frankly other races don't
WANT to transfer tax paying citizens into troops either, they do it
because they have to. I don't see why Borg shouldn't have the same problem.

Gary
September 12, 2005 8:03:00 AM

I would change it so that no conversion happens if both (!) bases are
set to peaceful!

Sometimes the Borg troops are not strong enough to take the enemy in
GA. A good strategy is to let the opponent attack first and thereby
kill a high percentage of his forces. Of course to be successfull one
needs the troops and this can best be done by keeping all own troops in
the base = peaceful setting!
!