Computer Works but Heatsink doesn't

sgharrington12

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
I recently upgraded to a new psu (gs700) and now, all of the sudden, when I turn on my computer everything works except for the CPU fan. I originally had an aftermarket fan so I took it off to see if that was the problem. After refitting the stock fan that comes with the AMD Phenom II 1055t it still doesn't work. I dont know what the problem could be since I have already ran the computer and it works fine other than nearly frying my CPU every time. Please help!

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
You cannot run the PC without a cooler, you ARE going to damage it.

Then, if the PC turns on and works, the problem shouldn't be the PSU, unless it has a dead connection on the motherboard plug. Make sure the motherboard power connector is securely plugged in (it should clip in completely, unable to be removed without the release tab being fully depressed).

Also, it may sound stupid but do it, ensure the fan's power connector is plugged into the correct plug on the motherboard, and that it's the right way around. Turning the plug around, using a different or misfitting connector or plugging it into the wrong connector can cause damage to the motherboard, fan or PSU.

I am willing to bet a badly connected power cable to the motherboard though.