High Spec Motherboard Vs Good CPU Vs Good GPU

tiang

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
Hi guys,

At the moment I am confuse whether I should go for high spec motherboard, good CPU and good GPU or should I go for cheap motherboard, good CPU and good GPU? Will the high spec motherboard bring better performance to the whole system? So far I don't need to overclock my CPU as the game I used to play only like DOTA and some simple not graphic intensive game but I do need to render some of the video files.
I still get hold to my current to rigs:

Phenom II 955, Asus M4A785TD Evo, 4GB 1600 MHz Ram, Asus EAH4850, Gigabyte 800 watt PSU Pro version (Recommendation for upgrade part?)
E8400, Asus P5Q Deluxe, 4GB 1066 MHz Ram, Asus EAH 4670, Gigabyte 800 watt PSU GT version (Recommendation for upgrade parts?)

Thank you in advance for everyone helps and advice. I am planning to get the IVB processor at the end of year with 77 series motherboard and should I go for the high end or just entry level or the cheapest version?

akxpckwb

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
Well a high spec motherboard will allow for future upgrades and if you need to overclock something in the future it will also be possible. So if you've got the money I think you should buy a good motherboard

sonexpc

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
My first computer when I still teen ...I buy a very high specification MB.... and finally a lot of things I didn't use.... and finally the next computer still need to buy new MB....

and during 6 year computer sales....I also see lot of people buy $200- $300 MB.... but they also not use all the function .... they still use the very basic one...

I will say a Good Brand MB with lastest Chipset is fine.... for Asus Z68.... I 'm willing to sale... P8Z68 Deluxe / GEN3.... but if people coming in ask for a stable MB for one video card use ...I wil suggest P8Z68-V LX is good enough ....

there is more than $100 Different...

And when you have slow system .... you won't ask yourself..."I need to change my MB to make it fast ... or I need to buy a Overclockable MB to make my CPU fast"....you will just change your CPU...

I will suggest buy something around $100-$150 MB and buy a GOOD CPU and a GOOD GPU.... for gamer invest your money in the GPU first...you get a i5-2500K over clock 4.7Ghz.... but you only use a 6670 Video card still worst than someone use i3-2100 with a 6970 Video Card..

e56imfg

Distinguished

+1

Tom's stated...
Motherboards don't give you better performance, but more features and overclocking headroom
something along those lines but close enough.

If you're not going to OC or use a lot of USB ports, then just save money and get a cheap mobo.

Also agree. Plan ahead a little (if you want to SLI/crossfire later, USB 3.0, overclocking, the most "long term" socket) but don't go overboard. A lot of the features on a high end board you just wont use.

I was surprised when I looked back at what I spent on mine years later, but since AMD changes sockets so rarely and they were great boards it worked out pretty well. Still spent more than I needed to though. Just check reviews and look out for "problem" boards. Get the featuures you need and save the money for the GPU or CPU