Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Jump to LED monitor or not?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 31, 2011 6:29:41 AM

Hi!
Currently I have an old (real old) Compaq 19" CRT monitor. Now I want to replace it. I am thinking to buy LG E2240S.
Manufacturer's link
http://www.lg.com/uk/it-products/monitors/LG-led-monitor-E2240S.jsp
I've googled and came to know that CRTs have no response delay but the LED monitor stated above has some response delay of 5ms. Will it effect my gaming? and is it a good buy or not? It is quite affordable for me. My most work is to play games or watch movies(Full HD).
So my questions are:

1-)Does it worth replacing CRT with LED monitor?
2-)Will 5ms response time effect my gaming with respect to CRT?
3-)Does these LEDs (though only being backlit LEDs not OLEDs) work like mobile phones OLEDs(like they say Black is Black not Grey as it seems in LCDs)?
4-)What is your opinion on LG E2240S?

My curent system is Core2Duo E8400 with Asus GTS 450TOP. One thing more I'm certainly not going to play at 1920X1080 with my little GTS450. so major issue is contrast,response time etc.

More about : jump led monitor

January 31, 2011 6:44:18 AM

I would ditch the old crt and get a new led monitor. You won't have any problems with the response time 5 ms is good.
Score

Best solution

January 31, 2011 6:45:06 AM

1) Yes. I was one of the original slow turners.
2) Probably not. The human brain doesn't receive input fast enough to see 5ms reasonably. Even on the slowest moniters you won't see the ghosting unless your eyes are fast and you're looking for it.
3) All this means is a more even backlight with better control. YOur contrast will be better and thus your pictures by default.
4) I have zero experience with LG, but people seem to dig their TV's. I haven't had a BAD moniter experience in years. Just don't go bottom of the barrel, you'll get what you pay for. ANything in the Mid-range is fine. With moniters, you really have to go with reviews, and see if people have a problem with it, though I find 9/10 times as long as it does the job, and doesn't have an annoying flaw, defect, or feature, no one really screams about it.

By the way, your eyes will thank you for the switch. You'll never go back, after this.
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
January 31, 2011 6:54:24 AM

During my switch period my eyes and head hurt a lot. Took me about a week to get used to it.
Score
January 31, 2011 7:01:42 AM

mirrion said:
1) Yes. I was one of the original slow turners.
2) Probably not. The human brain doesn't receive input fast enough to see 5ms reasonably. Even on the slowest moniters you won't see the ghosting unless your eyes are fast and you're looking for it.
3) All this means is a more even backlight with better control. YOur contrast will be better and thus your pictures by default.
4) I have zero experience with LG, but people seem to dig their TV's. I haven't had a BAD moniter experience in years. Just don't go bottom of the barrel, you'll get what you pay for. ANything in the Mid-range is fine. With moniters, you really have to go with reviews, and see if people have a problem with it, though I find 9/10 times as long as it does the job, and doesn't have an annoying flaw, defect, or feature, no one really screams about it.

By the way, your eyes will thank you for the switch. You'll never go back, after this.

thanks for giving such a detailed answer. I'm satisfied now.
Score
January 31, 2011 8:13:44 AM

Best answer selected by 07ee17.
Score
January 31, 2011 5:12:59 PM

4745454b said:
During my switch period my eyes and head hurt a lot. Took me about a week to get used to it.

That would probably be because of the change to the refresh rate. Most LCD monitors run at 60Hz at their native resolution. While CRT's can go 85Hz+
Score
a b Î Nvidia
January 31, 2011 5:46:09 PM

I think it was a combo of everything. LCDs don't refresh so I don't think it was that as much as the response time and difference in colors. I used 75Hz on my old CRT so there wasn't that much of a difference. I can see the scan line when I sit at my friends 60Hz monitors so it probably did come into play. If I'm used to a nearly undetectable line which is now gone, my bran and eyes hurt.

I'm good with my LCD now. If you want to make the switch then do so. Just don't be surprised if you need a week or two to get used to it. And whatever you do don't switch back and forth. Stay with the LCD and in time you'll be fine.
Score
January 31, 2011 9:42:18 PM

LCDs refresh they just don't blink on and off like CRTs. Widescreen LCDs have a maximum of 60 hz through DVI (120 for 3D) and 75 hz through VGA. 1280x1024 monitors can do 75 hz through DVI.

As to if you will be satisfied with 60 hz that depends on your games and how you like to play them. I personally think anything under 75 hz for shooters is completely unacceptable and prefer 75 to 60 hz in other games as well since I use vsync in non-shooters.

Even at 75 hz it's just not as good as CRTs for online FPS and if you're coming from 100-120 hz playing games like Counter-Strike then prepare to accept the disadvantages of LCDs.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
January 31, 2011 10:41:55 PM

Also make sure you get a GOOD LCD.
The cheaper 8-bit panels do not display colors very well.
A picture of a sky that slowly fades in color will have color bands and not a gradual fade. Very anoying in some games and movies.
Score
February 1, 2011 12:55:03 AM

Personally I wouldnt get an LCD screen with a dynamic contrast ratio, its really annoying, I hate the fact that my TV does it and I cant turn it off. Either way this topic has already been solved.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
February 1, 2011 3:02:09 AM

No, LCDs don't refresh. They have the setting so video cards don't get confused but that's all. There is no scan line, they don't refresh.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
February 2, 2011 3:01:40 AM

From your link.

"Refresh rate or the temporal resolution of an LCD is the number of times per second in which the display draws the data it is being given. Since activated LCD pixels do not flash on/off between frames, LCD monitors exhibit no refresh-induced flicker, no matter how low the refresh rate."

LCDs are a digital device. Each pixels stays in its last state until it's told to change otherwise. In a CRT each pixel gets "hit" X number of times a second. But because an LCD changes each pixel at will, it doesn't have the traditional refresh rate like your thinking off. They kept a refresh rate built in so that video cards wouldn't get confused and so we could keep using vsync.

I would argue its more accurate to base the refresh rate off the pixel response time see as they are related a bit. But an LCD with a 2ms and 16ms response time will most likely both have a 60Hz "refresh rate".
Score
a b Î Nvidia
February 2, 2011 3:26:35 AM

mirrion said:

Not true. LED does not offer more even backlight than traditional CCFL. Contrast is not really affected either. Colors are more dependent on the LCD panel technology rather than the backlight, but backlight is also important. IPS and VA panels generally produce better colors than TN panels which all current LED backlit monitors use (excluding some Apple monitors).

Score
February 2, 2011 3:54:58 AM

Stop feeding misinformation because you can't handle being wrong. There's a goddamn section for LCDs under Refresh Rate in wiki.

So a monitor is being told to change it's picture 60 times a second that equals 60 cycles or 60 hz. That's the refresh rate if you can't get it through your thick head. It's not like they change it "at will," it happens once every 1/60th of a second just like CRT monitors flicker every 1/100th (or whatever) of a second. That's definitely a limitation of a monitor because your eyes can certainly tell the difference between 60hz and 100hz
Score
a b Î Nvidia
February 2, 2011 6:03:56 AM

Can't handle being wrong? What are you talking...Oh now I see. I'm sorry, you're totally right. Its called refresh rate, it has a wiki page (and that CAN'T be faked.) so obviously its exactly what you called it. Never mind, I totally didn't mean to possibly disagree with you.

I'm done.
Score
February 2, 2011 2:43:09 PM

So what exactly do you call it when a LCD monitor changes picture 60 times a second? Magical LCD Happiness Superfun Magic Stuff?

Here's the link on wikipedia to the article by the CNET editor talking about refresh rates of LCDs.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-6792632-1.html

It's a refresh rate, get aired out more.
Score
a c 171 Î Nvidia
February 2, 2011 4:58:36 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!