Your question

Need Advice on ~$1000 gaming PC

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
April 4, 2011 10:16:34 PM

I've recently decided on trying my hand at building my own computer (after 3 computers broke on me in a span of 1 yr :fou:  ) I've convinced my boyfriend to take on this project with me and we're been researching on parts for a while (this is completely new for both of us). We finally feel be ready to take the plunge.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Approximate Purchase Date: As soon as this week, as late as next month.

Budget Range: $1000 after rebates (however the cheaper the better :D  )

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming (mostly world of warcraft, Sims 3, Civilization...), movies, internet browsing

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, PSU (Ultra LSP 650 Pro but if this PSU isn't good, totally willing to buy a new one), and 19" monitor

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: No preferance

Country of Origin: USA
Parts Preferences: by brand or type: I would like to go intel 5

Overclocking: Maybe (until we become more knowledgable)

SLI or Crossfire: Probably not

Monitor Resolution: Currently 1680x1050 (I think)

Additional Comments: We are also looking into the Dell XPS 8300 or a CyberpowerPC Gamer Ultra 2062

I would also like this computer to last around 4-5 years hopefully.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently I've decided on the following parts:

LG Black 24X DVD+R 8X
(not 100% sure I need this...can I just take the optical drive from on of my many broken computers? or do I need to make sure the cable works with the other parts of the computer?)

Antec TruePower New TP-650 650W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.3
(we do have an Ultra LSP 650 Pro, this part may be not needed if Ultra is a good PSU)

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM

COOLER MASTER Storm Scout SGC-2000-KKN1-GP Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Intel Core i5 2500K LGA 1155 Boxed Processor

This comes out to be around $500.00 after MIR (Shipping and tax included)

And if money allows... I would like to purchase:
SAMSUNG S22A350H ToC Rose Black 21.5" 2ms Full HD HDMI LED BackLight LCD Monitor 250 cd/m2 DCR 1,000,000:1 (1,000:1)
(only $179.99 after MIR but only if this is a good deal... I already have a monitor)
So we're still looking into MOBO and Graphics Card. Thanks in advance for your help and advise.

More about : advice 1000 gaming

April 4, 2011 10:26:09 PM

Oh I forgot to mention we do also have a GE Force 8800 GTX (purchased last year). If this will meet all our graphics needs, we will be using this as our graphics card for the computer. Thanks!
m
l
April 5, 2011 12:38:50 AM

If those other broken pcs were enough power for you, Id suggest salvaging parts from them, would save a lot of money. Especially if those pcs were within 1yr of each other, most of the parts should be compatible.You can make another thread on how to find out what broke if you dont know.

But if you want to build a whole new pc, you can use this for a starting point http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-6950-unlo... The case definitely needs to be changed to maybe the antec 300 or haf 912. The dell and cyberpower are overpriced, you could even configure the same parts on http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/ and get ~100 less. But you will save even more money building it yourself.

A 1" difference in monitor size isnt worth a new monitor, but just in case, this monitor is a bit bigger and less expensive especially after rebate, but is still good quality. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Or you could save more and get their 21.5" model.

Id really recommend you salvage the broken pcs if they were enough power for you.
m
l
!