Why are there no SB laptops w/ integrated graphics?

I really don't understand this. If Sandybridge's biggest achievement is the integrated graphics in the chip, then why don't laptops offer integrated graphics with them? They can apparently compete with lower-end discreet cards, and are tremendously superior in efficiency. Who else would love a casual-gaming laptop with awesome battery life for ~$600?
8 answers Last reply
More about laptops integrated graphics
  1. stingstang said:
    I really don't understand this. If Sandybridge's biggest achievement is the integrated graphics in the chip, then why don't laptops offer integrated graphics with them? They can apparently compete with lower-end discreet cards, and are tremendously superior in efficiency. Who else would love a casual-gaming laptop with awesome battery life for ~$600?
    I've seen two Sandy Bridge notebooks on Newegg with integrated graphics.
  2. If you really want all the details read this:
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-sandy-bridge-review-intel-core-i5-2600k-i5-2500k-and-core-i3-2100-tested

    It's an awesome CPU, but for laptops it comes down to price vs performance. Also, the Sandybridge is still quite new. I'm assuming that for the laptop dual-core Sandybridge CPU's with the on-die GPU will be very common by Christmas 2011.
  3. what im wondering more so is why laptop manufacturers are still using rubbish Nvidia video chips - they STILL have issues with there newer chips (GT3xx/GT2xx etc) - id be bold enough to say ATLEAST 50% of all laptop's eventual deaths are because of Nvidia
  4. It's just going to take a little while for them to hit the market. There should be a few out if you really look, although I haven't found any yet. But yeah I've never owned a laptop and I'd like to get a cheap one, like a 13.3" SB with the HD3000 graphics.
  5. wolfram23 said:
    It's just going to take a little while for them to hit the market. There should be a few out if you really look, although I haven't found any yet. But yeah I've never owned a laptop and I'd like to get a cheap one, like a 13.3" SB with the HD3000 graphics.

    I've already seen two Sandy Bridge notebooks on Newegg with integrated graphics.
  6. Tom's just did an article on the new gaming laptops with 69xx series cards.I would rather save money and get a full desktop then spend 2k for a gaming laptop that has reduced performance on the GPU.The 6970M is like half the speed of the normal 6970.
  7. Crashman said:
    I've already seen two Sandy Bridge notebooks on Newegg with integrated graphics.


    Well it might be a different story in America, but in Canada there's none.

    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100006741+600003982&IsNodeId=1&name=Intel+Core+i7&Page=2
    There's exactly 2 Levnovo with SB i7s, both have AMD mobility. There are no i5 SB laptops.

    This is the only one at Memory Express, i7 SB with a 540M. No i5 SB.
    http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX31862(ME).aspx

    Hard to tell but I don't see any SB
    http://ncix.com/products/index.php?minorcatid=1322

    So... anyway, the point I'm trying to make is they're very rare even if you do manage to find one.
  8. wolfram23 said:
    Well it might be a different story in America, but in Canada there's none.

    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100006741+600003982&IsNodeId=1&name=Intel+Core+i7&Page=2
    There's exactly 2 Levnovo with SB i7s, both have AMD mobility. There are no i5 SB laptops.

    This is the only one at Memory Express, i7 SB with a 540M. No i5 SB.
    http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX31862(ME).aspx

    Hard to tell but I don't see any SB
    http://ncix.com/products/index.php?minorcatid=1322

    So... anyway, the point I'm trying to make is they're very rare even if you do manage to find one.
    They've been recalled :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Laptops Sandy Bridge Graphics