christianelliott

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
hi guys! i am building a new computer, and i am deciding on storage devices and drives. i will use this computer mostly for gaming. i am thinking about buying a tb drive for my games, and a much faster ssd for my Os, windows 7 (most likely home premium) i am wondering if you think thats a good idea or not. it seems like alot of people are doing it. or should i do the opposite. please help

A SSD for the OS is better in my opinion, as it will make just your everyday boot-up and computer using faster.

If you plan to use this machine like an XBOX and you have another machine for other stuff, then use it for the games.

How big is the drive? You may be able to fit the games and OS on one drive.

christianelliott

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012

the ssd is 60gb

Ohmybad

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
once you install W7 and Optimize it for SSD (disable hibernate/page file/ etc...) and get your apps and drivers and updates done you have use'd 22-25GB, i have ~30GB free on my SSD and IMO having games by themselves on a HDD improves speeds when the OS isn't on the drive.

edit: my 60GB SSD formats to 55.8GB just FYI you don't REALLY get a full 60-64GB

christianelliott

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012

all the games together would probably be about 38gb or so. cutting it close...

aqe040466

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

SSD for OS(Win 7) HDD for games, data, videos, photos etc. Look for SSD and HDD with a SATAIII(6Gb/s) interface.

D

Deleted member 217926

No mechanical drive can saturate a SATA II interface much less SATA III. That is only necessary for SSDs.

Have you bought an SSD yet? My vote is to save money until you can afford a ~120GB model. That way you get the best of both worlds by having the OS and your programs/games on the SSD. Realize as well you need to keep 30% of an SSD free so TRIM works correctly. My 120GB Vertex 2 has Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Office 2007 and other programs and about 10 games on it. I still have to uninstall games I'm not actively playing to make room for new ones. I have about 30GB free.