Which is better or suggest

I'm looking to get a new graphics card for gaming, aka Rift, FFXIV (Maybe Still), and Knight of the Old Republic (The MMO Version). I myself don't know squat about how to pick a good video card, or determine which is better.

After a bit of research in my price range ($200.00 - $260.00ish) or Lower, I've come up with these four cards.

GeForce GTX 465
GeForce GTX 560 Ti
GeForce GTX 470
Radeon HD 6870

My question is... Which is better for what I want to do? Or do you have a suggestion of a card in my price range thats better than these? Second up which manufacture if theres a diffrence is better for the suggested card?

My computer has a PCI-Express x16 2.0 Slot, Running a 64 Bit System, 5 Gig of Ram, Windows 7

Thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about which suggest
  1. What PSU do you have?. You may be aware that you would need at least a 550 W generic PSU(or a quality 450 W psu) for running these cards.
    Yes with any of these cards you would be able to play these games.
    Here is a couple of perfomance comparatives.

2. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-560-ti-gf114,2845.html

Hands down, the GTX 560 Ti.

Notes:
    1. The 4xx series has the heat and noise issues resolved with the new GTX 5xx series.
    2. The HD6870 is nearly identical to the 560 Ti with the following points:
    - 560 Ti is quieter
    - CUDA
    - PhysX
    - SLI is better than CROSSFIRE (if you ever get a second card)
    - NVidia drivers tend to be better
    - NVidia Tesselation is superior to AMD (not a big deal yet)

My advice is get the GTX 560 Ti, then buy a second one (prices depending) in a year or two if needed.

I'm not a fanboy; I own an HD5870 (before than HD3870, before than 6600GT). I don't regret my purchase as the NVidia GTX 4xx had heat issues. If buying today it would be the GTX 560 Ti.
  3. Don't even consider 465, it runs hot, and it's a power hog. Get 560, it as power efficient as a 460, but 31% faster.
  4. I would argue, photonboy, that CUDA is useless to the average consumer unless they are using a program that takes advantage of the API, and Physx is barely a consideration point as it's a pretty unnoticeable graphical API that adds additional overhead to the GPU.

However, the rest of your points are good, and i too would give the 560 a recommendation for consideration. However, the 6950 may be a good consideration too with it's extra memory capacity.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Geforce Graphics Product