Which is better or suggest

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Geforce
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 31, 2011 8:10:42 AM

I'm looking to get a new graphics card for gaming, aka Rift, FFXIV (Maybe Still), and Knight of the Old Republic (The MMO Version). I myself don't know squat about how to pick a good video card, or determine which is better.

After a bit of research in my price range ($200.00 - $260.00ish) or Lower, I've come up with these four cards.

GeForce GTX 465
GeForce GTX 560 Ti
GeForce GTX 470
Radeon HD 6870

My question is... Which is better for what I want to do? Or do you have a suggestion of a card in my price range thats better than these? Second up which manufacture if theres a diffrence is better for the suggested card?

My computer has a PCI-Express x16 2.0 Slot, Running a 64 Bit System, 5 Gig of Ram, Windows 7

Thanks

More about : suggest

a b U Graphics card
January 31, 2011 8:42:35 AM

What PSU do you have?. You may be aware that you would need at least a 550 W generic PSU(or a quality 450 W psu) for running these cards.
Yes with any of these cards you would be able to play these games.
Here is a couple of perfomance comparatives.

m
l
a c 180 U Graphics card
January 31, 2011 10:05:35 AM

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-...

Hands down, the GTX 560 Ti.

Notes:
1. The 4xx series has the heat and noise issues resolved with the new GTX 5xx series.
2. The HD6870 is nearly identical to the 560 Ti with the following points:
- 560 Ti is quieter
- CUDA
- PhysX
- SLI is better than CROSSFIRE (if you ever get a second card)
- NVidia drivers tend to be better
- NVidia Tesselation is superior to AMD (not a big deal yet)

My advice is get the GTX 560 Ti, then buy a second one (prices depending) in a year or two if needed.

I'm not a fanboy; I own an HD5870 (before than HD3870, before than 6600GT). I don't regret my purchase as the NVidia GTX 4xx had heat issues. If buying today it would be the GTX 560 Ti.
m
l
Related resources
January 31, 2011 2:20:08 PM

Don't even consider 465, it runs hot, and it's a power hog. Get 560, it as power efficient as a 460, but 31% faster.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 31, 2011 2:27:32 PM

I would argue, photonboy, that CUDA is useless to the average consumer unless they are using a program that takes advantage of the API, and Physx is barely a consideration point as it's a pretty unnoticeable graphical API that adds additional overhead to the GPU.

However, the rest of your points are good, and i too would give the 560 a recommendation for consideration. However, the 6950 may be a good consideration too with it's extra memory capacity.
m
l
!