Not sure what to do...

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Cases
  • ATX
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
April 5, 2011 12:14:11 AM

I just purchased a ATX mother board and a cpu only to figure out after i purchased it i have a micro atx case. so now im not really sure what to do lol. would it be better to buy a atx case to fit the board or buy a micro atx board to fit in my case now? i have presario SR5410f upgraded ram to 4g, upgraded GPU to HD4350, and installed Win7. any suggestions would be great and if you have suggestions of specific parts could u link possibly?

More about : question

a c 90 B Homebuilt system
April 5, 2011 12:17:15 AM

Hello Cored17;

The least expensive (and probably fastest) option would be to pick up an ATX case locally.
m
l
April 5, 2011 12:37:33 AM

ok well i have been looking at some Case/PSU combos on newegg but my concern is what else will i need? i mean im not a PC expert obviously but am i gonna need all new fans for everything? that kind of stuff
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
April 5, 2011 12:49:59 AM

First off - can you return the mobo/cpu and just get a different one?

Secondly - You'll only need the case; you should be able to reuse the PSU from your older computer (unless it's non-ATX). You may need a fan or two (the case product description should tell you what it comes with and what it can hold), but other than that you'll have everything.
m
l
April 5, 2011 12:55:57 AM

boiler1990 said:
First off - can you return the mobo/cpu and just get a different one?

Secondly - You'll only need the case; you should be able to reuse the PSU from your older computer (unless it's non-ATX). You may need a fan or two (the case product description should tell you what it comes with and what it can hold), but other than that you'll have everything.

yes indeed i can return them but then i have to wait an extra 3-5 days before my payment is returned and i dont have a lot of money to be able to afford to purchase a new set and return the other one including paying s/h plus im impatient :) 
m
l
April 5, 2011 1:46:50 AM

my PSU is smaller than a regular one though, it will still fit into a regular ATX case?
m
l
April 5, 2011 1:54:40 AM

A smaller PSU? Are you sure? What's the height and width of the PSU.
m
l
April 5, 2011 1:56:06 AM

Is this your case? It looks like it should have a standard ATX sized PSU.

m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 5, 2011 2:05:27 AM

Quote:
yes indeed i can return them but then i have to wait an extra 3-5 days before my payment is returned and i dont have a lot of money to be able to afford to purchase a new set and return the other one including paying s/h plus im impatient :) 

Yeah, well it's better than not getting your money back. Send it USPS Priority Mail; it's actually very cheap in most cases compared to UPS. Also, print your label from online as opposed to mailing it at a store; there's a small discount, and you can just schedule a pickup when your mailperson comes the next day.

Quote:
A smaller PSU? Are you sure? What's the height and width of the PSU.

It could potentially be one of the lower-profile PSUs that are found in MicroATX and MiniITX cases. It sounds like it's quite an old computer, which is why I'm not that surprised.
m
l
April 5, 2011 2:11:22 AM

boiler1990 said:
That's definitely an ATX PSU (it says it in the name).

SO for sure i would be ok with just buying a case without a psu and using my old one? i will eventually upgrade it when i upgrade my GPU again. But for now if i just buy a case i can use my psu? and possibly the fans if it doesnt come with?
m
l

Best solution

April 5, 2011 2:18:56 AM

You should be OK moving the PSU into a new case.

And you might be able scrounge one fan from your Presario case. It looks to me like it has a 92mm exhaust fan.

And if the new case has at least one fan you should be good.
a b B Homebuilt system
April 5, 2011 2:23:12 AM

^+1
m
l
April 5, 2011 2:25:23 AM

excellent thanks for your help everyone.
m
l
April 5, 2011 2:37:01 AM

Best answer selected by Cored17.
m
l
!