Sign in with
Your question

Crysis 2 graphic requirements

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 31, 2011 12:16:50 PM

Does anyne know what will be the requirements to be able to play Crysis 2 on PC smoothly? Is it more or less demanding than Crysis 1?

Thanks!

Olivier
a b U Graphics card
January 31, 2011 12:33:45 PM

I suspect it will be more demanding than Crysis 1, but perhaps about average for today's expectations. Crysis 1 was way ahead of its time graphically, but I think Crytek may (proportionally) tone it down a little this time around.

At least i hope so, i think i'll start crying if my 5970 is ever bested by something in the next year D:.
a b U Graphics card
January 31, 2011 12:41:38 PM

oliver70 said:
Does anyne know what will be the requirements to be able to play Crysis 2 on PC smoothly? Is it more or less demanding than Crysis 1?

Thanks!

Olivier

Firstly crysis 2 is set in a urban jungle.There are less polygons to render like only 15 buildings in a street while in crysis 1 due to hundreds of trees and bushes millions of polygons are rendered.secondly,its being developed with ps3/xbox in mind and thirdly in this interview with crytek engineer skip to 21:00 minutes and watch it till 22:minutes.You will see that a member of the audience asks the guy about the development hardware requirements for the cryengine 3 and he says that the nvidia 260/280's are "eating the engine for breakfast".

http://nvidia.fullviewmedia.com/gdc2010/14-sean-tracy.h...
Related resources
January 31, 2011 12:47:00 PM

celpas said:
Firstly crysis 2 is set in a urban jungle.There are less polygons to render like only 15 buildings in a street while in crysis 1 due to hundreds of trees and bushes millions of polygons are rendered.secondly,its being developed with ps3/xbox in mind and thirdly in this interview with crytek engineer skip to 21:00 minutes and watch it till 22:minutes.You will see that a member of the audience asks the guy about the development hardware requirements for the cryengine 3 and he says that the nvidia 260/280's are "eating the engine for breakfast".

http://nvidia.fullviewmedia.com/gdc2010/14-sean-tracy.h...

Question:Isn't Cryengine DX11?Tesselation can slow cards to a crawl.So,Crysis 2 could prove to be more demanding than metro 2033.Also,Metro 2033 is also set in a semi urban environment,without trees but is much more demanding.
a b U Graphics card
January 31, 2011 12:54:02 PM

BeCoolBro said:
Question:Isn't Cryengine DX11?Tesselation can slow cards to a crawl.So,Crysis 2 could prove to be more demanding than metro 2033.Also,Metro 2033 is also set in a semi urban environment,without trees but is much more demanding.

Metro 2033 was very demanding due to the heavy use of DoF to achieve the eery darkness effects.

I hope they make use of DX 11 for the PC version, however they must have learnt that they can't make another unplayable-except-on-future-supercomputers title.
a b U Graphics card
January 31, 2011 1:34:27 PM

BeCoolBro said:

metro 2033 is demanding only if dx11 is enabled.I played through the whole game on high in dx 10 mode at 1680X1050 and that too with a GTX 260 Superclocked at an average of 36-37fps.Considering the fact that high looks pretty identical to very high it was still very much optmised
January 31, 2011 1:49:02 PM

Griffolion said:
Metro 2033 was very demanding due to the heavy use of DoF to achieve the eery darkness effects.

I hope they make use of DX 11 for the PC version, however they must have learnt that they can't make another unplayable-except-on-future-supercomputers title.

Hadn't researched that a lot so I had unigine extreme tesselation in mind.I don't really mind an unplayable-except-on-future-supercomputers title as long as it has adequate gameplay.You don't have to play it at max settings to enjoy it anyway.Crysis looks stunning even at medium.
a b U Graphics card
January 31, 2011 1:59:14 PM

Yeah tessellation is the poster boy feature of DX 11, other really demanding things were HBAO and DoF as well as newer iterations of AA.

I suppose in a sense it's good to make something that will still graphically stand up for a good length of time to come but in the early days everyone will be like ZOMG i can't play it!

:) 
a c 125 U Graphics card
January 31, 2011 1:59:24 PM

I don't think any games are using "extreme tesslation". Of the games that use it, I think Metro is using it the most right now and that is strictly for NPCs - it's not used on terrain. Obviously Unigene Heaven uses it a ton and is easily the "worst case scenario" while 3DMark 11 also uses it but it's nowhere near as intense.

As for Metro, easily the most demanding option was Depth of Field. I played around with settings, and DoF caused the biggest FPS drop with DX11, Very High details at 1080p. I got slightly better FPS with DoF off and 4xMSAA on, however, I preferred the visuals with DoF on and using AAA. Generally the game played at over 50fps with my crossfire 5850s, although there's some areas with a lot of lighting (god beams) which killed FPS (the library stands out in my mind, had 30fps in many parts).
a c 359 U Graphics card
January 31, 2011 5:05:09 PM

Crysis 2 is said to be less demanding than Crysis in DX9 and DX10 mode.

Of course, if you throw in tessellation using DX11, then I would think that Crysis 2 will be more demanding.
a c 609 U Graphics card
January 31, 2011 5:35:37 PM

celpas said:
metro 2033 is demanding only if dx11 is enabled.I played through the whole game on high in dx 10 mode at 1680X1050 and that too with a GTX 260 Superclocked at an average of 36-37fps.Considering the fact that high looks pretty identical to very high it was still very much optmised

Your GTX260 is incapable of rendering DirectX 11, so yes it would be slower than DirectX 10 and look identical.
a c 609 U Graphics card
January 31, 2011 5:46:56 PM

HAWX 2 is the current game making the most use of tesselation. Metro, not so much.

Crysis 2 is reportedly being developed with "Avatar-like" 3D effects for use with 3D glasses.
February 1, 2011 3:17:48 AM

Might sound stupid but thats the first I've heard of Crysis 2 going with 3d support, and I'm glad to hear it as my new build will be centered around 3d vision, thanks for the info haha.
a c 609 U Graphics card
February 1, 2011 5:04:47 AM

TheTygur said:
Might sound stupid but thats the first I've heard of Crysis 2 going with 3d support, and I'm glad to hear it as my new build will be centered around 3d vision, thanks for the info haha.

I read something about James Cameron (the director of Avatar) has been shown Crysis 2 in development to get his opinion on the 3D effects implementation.
a b U Graphics card
February 1, 2011 5:28:40 AM

From my understanding Crysis two will be LESS demanding then Crysis 1. I don't know exactly how they did it, but the graphics still look amazing.
February 1, 2011 5:35:54 AM

BRING IT ON!!!!!!!! I need to test my 6950's!
a b U Graphics card
February 1, 2011 5:37:22 AM

Unless I'm mistaken, wasn't demanding ridiculous graphics horsepower part of the draw of Crysis 1? If the game is playable on less than a GTX 470, I'll be disappointed. I want to be sad that my rig is inadequate so that I can justify excessively expensive parts.
February 1, 2011 8:04:24 AM

Crysis 2 will either be

Less demanding %50
The same %40
Slightly more demanding %10
February 1, 2011 10:47:01 AM

I like this kind of topics :) 
a b U Graphics card
February 1, 2011 11:10:42 AM

marney_5 said:
BRING IT ON!!!!!!!! I need to test my 6950's!

lol.test them on metro 2033 with dx11 4XMSAA Very high with tesselation and DOF.If your rig can maintain a stable frame rate then your pc will destroy crysis 2.Although I suspect its less demanding than crysis 1.
BTW Don't know whether this vid of crysis 2 requiremnets is legit but it states that to play at very high with 30+ fps a gtx 280 or equivalent is required
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIB0JHBeF40
February 1, 2011 11:30:45 AM

celpas said:
lol.test them on metro 2033 with dx11 4XMSAA Very high with tesselation and DOF.If your rig can maintain a stable frame rate then your pc will destroy crysis 2.Although I suspect its less demanding than crysis 1.
BTW Don't know whether this vid of crysis 2 requiremnets is legit but it states that to play at very high with 30+ fps a gtx 280 or equivalent is required
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIB0JHBeF40

Im getting an average of 70 fps on metro 2033 with everything maxed out!
a c 145 U Graphics card
February 1, 2011 11:34:37 AM

i don't remember where i read or heard this but they say if your current hardware can pull 30fps in the original cyrsis then in crysis 2 you should be able to get double the performance for the same quality of graphic in crysis 2. btw in my opinion in dx9 or 10 the game should be fine. in dx11 maybe its a different story. remember crysis 2 was delayed. honestly i just hope they delayed the game because they want to incorporate more dx11 stuff into the game. but i know i should't expect too much from it :pt1cable: 
February 1, 2011 1:00:39 PM

I hope crysis didn't lower its graphics standards to meet hardware requirements for people who have crap computers and then complain non stop about how they can't run it and blame it on the games coding for being horribly designed to give poor performance. The simple thing is that Crysis is a game ahead of its time, its coding was excellent, because even at 20fps, crysis felt like it was running at 40 and its graphics were far beyond any other game, the first one was released on 06 and it still dominates the graphics department.

I hope the new Crysis which is like the only game I used to play every now then, keeps its ridiculously high graphics and I don't care if it needs crazy hardware...I want good graphics :) .

And as a side note, If I were Nvidia or ATI, I would give money to the makers of crysis to make it more demanding in hardware...I bet so many people actually went out to buy new hardware like more ram and a new GPU just for crysis :) .
February 1, 2011 1:11:40 PM

Game without good gameplay is rubbish.So crytex make sure crysis 2 has great gameplay and storyline.Eyecandy is secondary.Game which has only eyecandy quickly turns into a benchmark commodity.
a c 145 U Graphics card
February 1, 2011 1:16:44 PM

blackhawk1928 said:
And as a side note, If I were Nvidia or ATI, I would give money to the makers of crysis to make it more demanding in hardware...I bet so many people actually went out to buy new hardware like more ram and a new GPU just for crysis :) .

when you said this it reminds me of this:

http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/faith/c...

a c 145 U Graphics card
February 1, 2011 1:20:54 PM

Pc Guru_07 said:
Game without good gameplay is rubbish.So crytex make sure crysis 2 has great gameplay and storyline.Eyecandy is secondary.Game which has only eyecandy quickly turns into a benchmark commodity.

agreed. honestly i'm hoping cyrsis 2 will have great gameplay, story and graphic :D 
February 1, 2011 1:38:31 PM

I also have a PS3, what I don't understand is that the graphics on the PS3 are almost as good as on high end graphic card, however I read somewhere that the card equipping the PS3 is equivalent to a 7600GT...
But I agree, I prefer gameplay for FPS on a PC rather than PS, except may be for games like GTA4, Red Dead Redemption that require joystick...
a b U Graphics card
February 1, 2011 1:50:53 PM

The PS3's GPU is more equivalent to a 7900 series one, but it's still not much of an improvement.

And no, the graphics on PS3 are horrendously bad compared to PC graphics, you just need to have the eye for it.

If you want to play joypad based games on PC, there are joypads available...
February 1, 2011 2:11:11 PM

PC Guru_07:

"Game without good gameplay is rubbish.So crytex make sure crysis 2 has great gameplay and storyline.Eyecandy is secondary.Game which has only eyecandy quickly turns into a benchmark commodity."

^I Agree, for me personally graphics are very important, I look for eye candy first, but I generally agree, a game that is all graphics and no gameplay is no fun.

Griffolion:

"The PS3's GPU is more equivalent to a 7900 series one, but it's still not much of an improvement.

And no, the graphics on PS3 are horrendously bad compared to PC graphics, you just need to have the eye for it.

If you want to play joypad based games on PC, there are joypads available... "

^100% Agreed
February 1, 2011 4:06:36 PM

Yes, the game play if very important, also the graphics, a game with a good graphics but bad game play isn't worth it IMO (which is the case of Metro2033, that game is great on graphics, but, God the physics, its like from a early 2000 games) ...
a c 125 U Graphics card
February 1, 2011 4:21:23 PM

zoro_2009 said:
Yes, the game play if very important, also the graphics, a game with a good graphics but bad game play isn't worth it IMO (which is the case of Metro2033, that game is great on graphics, but, God the physics, its like from a early 2000 games) ...

What are you talking about?? Metro 2033 was an amazing game and it used PhysX for advanced physic calculations...
a c 609 U Graphics card
February 1, 2011 4:43:14 PM

wolfram23 said:
What are you talking about?? Metro 2033 was an amazing game and it used PhysX for advanced physic calculations...

According to the "More Information" link under Zoro's avatar, he is 11 years old, so he was 1-3 years old when playing those games in early 2000. Hmmm...
February 1, 2011 5:28:38 PM

Ok Ok, I've corrected my profil information, that wasn't my real age (cause in the registration I entered random year and it was 1999) ...

But, yeah, apart from using Physx, it isn't even compared to other modern games like Crysis ... Crysis has a good physics engine.

And don't let me even start talking about "Half Life 2"s one, man, its excellent, it just like reality ...

Metro 2033 is like ... I don't know how to explain it but, for example when you shoot, after the first bullet the guy doesn't die and when you keep shooting the bullet go through him or something, only after 1-2 seconds he feels the second bullet and die ...

I know its bit unconvincing, but you have to try it and see by yourself ...

@matto17secs: And for your information, yeah, I grown up next to computer, and I know computers since 12 years old, I had Pentium 1, 133 MHZ processor, 32 MB RAM, and 1 MB VRAM, I used to play classic old games Doom95 (which the demo version of Doom), Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior, Road Rash, and even those games were a bit laggy in that spec ...

So yeah, since then I watched all generation of games till now ..
a b U Graphics card
February 1, 2011 5:48:10 PM

i hope my sli 450's can pull medium settings... maybe in dx10 mode...

what can i say i'm a realist
a b U Graphics card
February 1, 2011 5:53:51 PM

Well, if it is not that hard to run like people say, you can run it with SLIed 450s. :D 
a b U Graphics card
February 1, 2011 6:11:24 PM

i'm hoping ;)  but i'll reserve myself to hoping for medium settings dx11 turned off until the game is out and loaded on my system... that way i can only be pleasantly surprised not sadly disappointed
a c 125 U Graphics card
February 1, 2011 6:47:15 PM

zoro_2009 said:
But, yeah, apart from using Physx, it isn't even compared to other modern games like Crysis ... Crysis has a good physics engine.

And don't let me even start talking about "Half Life 2"s one, man, its excellent, it just like reality ...

Metro 2033 is like ... I don't know how to explain it but, for example when you shoot, after the first bullet the guy doesn't die and when you keep shooting the bullet go through him or something, only after 1-2 seconds he feels the second bullet and die ...

I know its bit unconvincing, but you have to try it and see by yourself ...

You're not talking about physics at all. You mean you think it's unrealistic that the monsters don't even flinch when you shoot them. Fair enough. They're tough bastards for sure. Just for shits I made a short vid with FRAPS, although it was the demo version so I took a few clips and put them together...

a b U Graphics card
February 1, 2011 8:12:10 PM

I found in a German Site the Crysis 2 System requirements, I donĀ“t know if it should be trusted....(Look in the facebook post)

- internet connection to install the game & play online
- CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo with 2Ghz, AMD Athlon 64 x2 2Ghz, or better
- 2 GB RAM
- HDD: 9 GB
- DVD ROM: 8x
- GPU: NVidia 8800GT 512Mb RAM, ATI 3850HD 512Mb RAM, or better
- Audio: DirectX 9.0c-compatible
- Keyboard, Mouse or Microsoft Xbox360 Controller for Windows

http://www.ea.com/de/crysis-2
a b U Graphics card
February 1, 2011 8:13:29 PM

Metro 2033 looks like a creepy game. What are the system requirements?
a c 609 U Graphics card
February 1, 2011 8:32:10 PM

HostileDonut said:

That depends on whether you want to turn on the details. For all details, including PhysX, you need top of the line GTX480/570/580. Yes, it is creepy, it scared the crap out of me. There is a demo available, why don't you give it a try?
a b U Graphics card
February 1, 2011 8:36:57 PM

I am downloading it. I have a hd6850 Toxic, what do you think I can run it at? Medium-high settings?
a c 125 U Graphics card
February 1, 2011 8:47:12 PM

HostileDonut said:
I am downloading it. I have a hd6850 Toxic, what do you think I can run it at? Medium-high settings?

Yes, just don't touch DoF and leave it on AAA.
a b U Graphics card
February 1, 2011 8:49:53 PM

I don't want to derail this thread to much, but what is DoF and AAA? I know what AA and AF are, but not AAA.
a c 125 U Graphics card
February 1, 2011 8:56:32 PM

HostileDonut said:
I don't want to derail this thread to much, but what is DoF and AAA? I know what AA and AF are, but not AAA.

Stands for Analytical Anti Aliasing, it's just a system they use for basic AA. The only other option is 4xMSAA and that's pretty harsh. DoF = Depth of Field. For me with CF 5850s I could do either DoF+AAA, or no DoF + 4xMSAA. With both my FPS plumetted to around 8 lol, I guess it went over my 1gb VRAM.
a b U Graphics card
February 1, 2011 8:59:12 PM

Lol. yeah, look like it.
a b U Graphics card
February 1, 2011 9:08:57 PM

Sounds like Crysis 2 won't be worth playing. Isn't the point graphics so amazing and demanding that I cannot play it on higher than medium settings? I do want decent gameplay, but if I want story I'll just play Mass Effect 2.
a b U Graphics card
February 2, 2011 2:07:10 AM

HostileDonut said:

for low settings you require a gt220 or higher
for normal settings you require a ati4850 or a gts 250 and higher
for high settings you require a gtx 260,4870,4890 or higher
for very high settings with tesselation you require a gtx 480/580 or higher
for very high with tesselation and DOF I think tri sli 580s may do the job

February 2, 2011 6:28:36 AM

for very high with tesselation and DOF I think tri sli 580s may do the job[/quotemsg said:

Ahh nope I dont think so!
February 2, 2011 6:57:12 AM

Metro is indeed creepy.That game gave me goose bumps while playing.Just try playing it in a dark room alone.
!