Will this motherboard work in my pc? please help.

gproefficient

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
Ok, I'm replacing my old intel D945gcl motherboard with a new motherboard, because i recently bought a processor, ( the core 2 duo E6550 4mb 1333 FSB) and when I installed it the pc turned on but the screen was black. So I found out my mobo only goes to 1066fsb. so I 'm replacing it. only thing is, i'm not sure if this mobo would be good enough.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0383664

Also, I hear that brand computers like dell etc has problems when using new motherboards. my computer is an Emachines T5224. will my pc let me install a new motherboard? and if so, will I need to re-install windows once I do it? the pc came with windows vista by the way.

andrewcarr

Distinguished
When you install windows you have to format your hard drive thus losing everything on it, so you first have to copy the drive onto an external and connect the external after it is up and running again and transfer back the important programs/ information.

gproefficient

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012

well I dont have an external hard drive...but I do have a 4gig usb adapter. I'll use that to only get important files and drop them inside. other than that, do i really need an external hard drive? I really dont need anything in my hard drive. and reforming is like reseting the partition right?

andrewcarr

Distinguished
If you can fit everything of importance onto that then you are fine, just remember anything else important that you later realize, you can't ever get back. Yes formatting will reset the partition and you will want to create a new one when you are re-installing windows (I honestly don't know why but apparently you always want the 100 mb partition, which is the smallest size you can make it).