Sign in with
Your question

So what should i do here?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 31, 2011 3:27:57 PM

Ok so i took the dive and went ahead and upgraded my Video card. The choice was between the AMD HD 6950(flashed to 6970) and Nvidia GTX 580. I went with the 6950 and successfully flashed it. Now i was thinking since the GTX 580 costs $500+, that i would only be spending $100 more by cross firing the 6950's(flashed). How much of a performance boost would I expect cross firing the 6950's( both flashed). I will be playing on a 1080p monitor for the time being. Also i will leave my system spec below this paragraph

Core i7 920 2.66Ghz OC'd to 3.6Ghz ~43c Idle w/Coolermaster V8 air cooling
6GB Corsair XMS 3 Triple Channel memory @ 1440 ~720Mhz
ASRock X58 Extreme motherboard
AMD 6950(flashed to a 6970)
750Watt Sunbeam power supply 80 Plus certified

More about : question

a c 147 U Graphics card
January 31, 2011 3:42:52 PM

IMO for your resolution 6970 in CF (after flashed) would be completely overkill. but if you plan to do multi display at some point those CF setup will surely help. in short think what route you will take in the future and decide accordingly :) 
m
l
January 31, 2011 3:51:59 PM

renz496 said:
IMO for your resolution 6970 in CF (after flashed) would be completely overkill. but if you plan to do multi display at some point those CF setup will surely help. in short think what route you will take in the future and decide accordingly :) 

Well i do plan on purchasing a 1920x1200 monitor in the future so i know that the increase in resolution will take a small toll on a single GPU which is why i am considering crossfire. I just want to make sure im getting high framerates with the game i plan on playing, Rift: Planes of Telara. Its a MMO which has tons of on screen animations going on.
m
l
Related resources
a c 147 U Graphics card
January 31, 2011 4:04:51 PM

moving from 1080p monitors to 1920 x 1200 will not causing much performance hit. in fact the difference may be so small that it is hard to notice unless you look at frame rates reported by FRAPS very carefully. btw i often hear that the frame rates drop in MMO (especially in crowded area) even though they ran the game using a very good card. i think this has become one common problem for MMO. honestly i don't know what the real cause are but i think it is due to the game engines are not properly optimized or the connection lag which makes the animation looks like the video card does not enough horse power to render all the graphic on screen.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 31, 2011 4:18:05 PM

As an avid on line MMO player (RIFT Beta tester) I can say any frame rate over 60fps is more than playable. Your connection to the game servers is what will determine most of your playing quality. Unfortunately the route, latency and packet losses of the connection are mostly out of your control. During large in game events in AION the lag and fps hit are huge. It that game it is recommended that all video setting be set to minimums for the fort event. During beta RIFT events some similar problems were present but I found the game still playable without changing video settings. I am using a single 5870 at stock setting on a 4ghz i920 system (1920x1080 27" mon.).
m
l
January 31, 2011 4:35:18 PM

Dogsnake said:
As an avid on line MMO player (RIFT Beta tester) I can say any frame rate over 60fps is more than playable. Your connection to the game servers is what will determine most of your playing quality. Unfortunately the route, latency and packet losses of the connection are mostly out of your control. During large in game events in AION the lag and fps hit are huge. It that game it is recommended that all video setting be set to minimums for the fort event. During beta RIFT events some similar problems were present but I found the game still playable without changing video settings. I am using a single 5870 at stock setting on a 4ghz i920 system (1920x1080 27" mon.).

I am in Rift beta and Alpha so im playing 24/7. And i know that the game is also running in debug mode which also puts a limit on performance. And from what i seen is that Trion didn't take the cheap route on their server hardware like blizzard did with WoW. I'm averaging a 55-85ms pings. So i am sure that debug mode is hindering performance at some degree. So i guess we will see on the 24th when the game goes live. And also the latest patch notes had some performance increases on ATI hardware, so the company is well aware of everything they need to do. Trion is amazing at service.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 31, 2011 5:17:41 PM

I totally agree
m
l
!