Solved

New rig advice

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
April 5, 2011 11:19:24 AM

I apologize in advance if this is really not the type of forum to post this kind of question. However I've been doing research on a new build. I've been using the last system I built for the last 5 years or so and it has served me well.
However, the fact I am still using XP and a lot of older equipment is starting to show. I put together some parts for a new rig. None of this is set in stone and I am not attached to anything in it. I wanted to get some advice of some experts.
I am not too drawn to SLI, I've heard it causes problems and some games don't support it. I'd rather have a single powerful card. I also care more about reliability than something being exceptionally awesome but not proven.(That bit me in the ass when I built my last PC and splurged on a 500 dollar GPU.)
I am mostly preparing for the upcoming release of Elder Scrolls: Skyrim. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you for the time.
Case: Antec Nine Hundred
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Motherboard: Asus P8P67
Graphics: EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX580
PSU-
CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield
RAM: 8Gb of G.Skill Ripjaw DDR3 1600
HD: 1TB WD
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium

More about : rig advice

a c 90 B Homebuilt system
April 5, 2011 4:09:52 PM

Hello Vejita00;

You have a CPU (socket 1366) / motherboard (socket 1155) mis-match.
You definitely want the i5 2500K CPU (socket 1155) to with the Asus P8P67
m
l
April 5, 2011 4:18:15 PM

As WR2 said you have a 1st generation Intel® Core™ I7 900 series processor and a P67 chipset series board. Most likely you will want to stay with the 2nd generation Intel Core processors like the I5 2500k or the I7 2600K for best performance vs. price. Also if you can find it in your budget I would strongly advise that you look into an SSD as a boot drive. Adding a drive like the Intel Solid-State Drive 320 80GB as a boot drive can greatly drop your boot and access times.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
m
l
Related resources
April 5, 2011 4:23:14 PM

Already have a DVD burner you can carry over from your old system?
m
l
April 5, 2011 5:01:43 PM

@Intelenthusiast.
Oof, yeah. I didn't notice the mismatch. I put this together well into the AM, my bad heh heh.
I will look into the SSD as a boot device. I actually have a HD I could use for storage, and a 1TB external. I could probably just get the SSD as a boot and just rely on the rest for storage. Best to just keep system stuff on the SSD and games on another? I'd eat through 80GB real fast.
Also, I am not married to that MB, I could swap it. I am actually not too knowledgable about the newer i7 and i5 CPUs. I am just looking for the best bang for buck combo mostly.
@WR2
I am using 1920x1080 single monitor setup. I guess I picked up the sound card out of habit cause I have one on this system and I noticed the difference right away on my surround sound.(Can't carry it over though, I don't think it supports Windows 7).
Also, I could do CPU overclocking but I've never done much of it in the past. I was always concerned about shortening the life span of parts or damage. The same is true of GPU. Do you think the PSU I picked is overkill otherwise?
m
l

Best solution

April 5, 2011 6:05:22 PM

I think it's worth giving the onboard sound a shot. Things have improved in the past few years. Enough to let you skip the sound card? Only your testing can let you know for sure.

PSU wasn't so much overkill as the older model of 750TX instead of the newer 750TX V2 caught my attention.
The current $15 price difference means the older model is a better value.
If not for the extra $15~$30 savings with the 650W I probably wouldnt have mentioned a PSU alternative.

As long as the overclocking isn't extreme and temps are kept in check you might be shortening the CPU lifespan a just a few percentage points a decade or more useful lifespan.
Even if you don't start out overclocking when it's time for a video card upgrade (18-24 months is about average) you can also 'upgrade' the CPU with an easy overclock from 3.3Ghz to 4.5Ghz.
April 6, 2011 3:37:39 AM

Alright, cool. I am trying to get a system that will be able to blow stuff away for a short time at least. I know its hard to keep up to date heh heh.
So you think that GPU should be ok? I really want a reliable one also. I've noticed lots of horror stories with the newest GeForce card. I'll also grab that CPU you mentioned to pair with the MB.
Any recommendations on which version of Windows 7 to get? Also, I just noticed and read the "How to ask for new build advice" link in your signature. Now I feel like a douche for not following that initially.
-EDIT-
Also, how about aftermarket cooling? I usually get it, just in case. Any recommendations?
m
l
April 6, 2011 5:09:47 AM

For CPU cooling:
You can get a great price on a very good cooler in a CPU/Cooler combo deal i5 2500K & CM Hyper 212+

Win 7 Home Premium is all you need.

Getting a video card with a life time warranty is a great idea.
Those horror stories do happen - but most of the satisfied customers are too busy gaming to stop back and report a successful build so you only hear about those people having problems, for the most part.
m
l
April 6, 2011 5:25:14 AM

Ah ok cool. I'll snag that. Yeah, thats why I always shop EVGA. Lifetime warranty I find is almost always worth it.
Do you think the SSD boot drive mentioned above is worth the price? I've never used one before and they are pretty expensive. However if its a big difference, I might invest to save myself time.
Any other recommendations or would you say that build is mostly set? Thanks for your help.
m
l
April 6, 2011 5:58:02 AM

A SSD is probably a luxury item. IMO, once you have all the basic requirements covered (which you do) you can think about adding a SSD.
It's going to make your system a lot 'snappier' seeming to run faster. But for the most part it won't make the games run better or make you a faster typer. It's very fast storage compared to the HDD. You load Windows and as many frequently used programs as you can fit on the SSD and still leave about 20~30% free space.
Windows will boot faster, programs will load up faster it will just seem a faster system to you.
m
l
April 6, 2011 6:55:56 AM

My last question is will this system be substantially faster for gaming than my current rig.
Which is a GTX 260(The original release), a Core 2 Duo E6600 at 2.5Ghz and 4GB of DDR2 Ram(Although its not all being used because of XP).
Also a cheaper P something gigabyte board. I forget which, I just know it has very little in the way of OC options.
-EDIT-
Do SSDs require any kind of special mounting or hardware aside from what a normal HD would require?
m
l
April 6, 2011 12:09:58 PM

It will be substantially faster than your current system.

2.5" SSDs usually come with a 3.5" adapter. The SSD gets mounted in the 3.5" adapter which gets mounted in a 3.5" HDD drive bay. Some newer cases have 2.5" drive bays.
It uses a standard SATA data cable and SATA power lead.
The only thing different in setup is that after first boot you set the SSD in BIOS as AHCI drive. Then install Windows. Either wait to finish the Windows install to add the HDD or leave the data and power cables off till you finish the Win install if you already have them in the case.
m
l
April 6, 2011 3:24:38 PM

Thank you sir. I very much appreciate all the advice!
m
l
April 13, 2011 6:29:15 AM

Best answer selected by Vejita00.
m
l