Error 99: How I Fixed the Digital Rebel

Tags:
Last response: in Digital Camera
February 15, 2005 7:04:44 PM

Well, great relief! I finally got my EOS300D back today, and it's
fixed--FREE! By the local guy. Here is the story, and I'm saying this all
not just to give a "postive vent" (share my joy) but also to help those in
case they get this problem.

It started last December when, after only a month of getting the 300D used
at Fred Miranda for $565 w/shipping & 18-55 kit lens, I started getting
obliterated photos. Other times, the AF wouldn't work. I found out why--the
secondary mirror (apparently there are TWO mirrors) wasn't flipping up &
down properly. So since the camera wasn't in warranty anymore I had a local
guy fix it.

After TWO months of hearing that the guy was waiting on the parts to fix it,
I finally came & got it. He gave it back to me, free of charge. But the
thing was, the secondary mirror HAD been fixed. The reason he wasn't
charging--he was now getting the Error 99 mistake, and neither he, nor a
colleague in Phoenix could figure out why--AND, get this, AND the Canon guy
on the phone couldn't figure out why.

I fixed it in 5 minutes, by following the link below (which I found in an
"Error 99" search on the "Canon EOS300D" forum at dpreview.com):

http://tinyurl.com/3qmkm

I did as it said. I (a) removed all batteries (the BP-511 AND the "watch"
battery for date/time), removed the CF card, turned the camera ON (yes, ON)
used a pencil eraser to gently clean the lens contacts on the camera body,
waiting about 5 minutes, put all batteries/cards back in, turned the camera,
then I actually did a sensor clean.

Voila! The camera works again! It took me maybe 5 minutes.

The only after-effects of all this--for some reason, the 7 indicators inside
which show the selected AF-point no longer work. (Maybe that's from where
the guy fixed the mirror box?) All else works fine (including 7-point AF
indicator on the control panel). It takes pictures just fine & dandy.

So, there IS hope with the Error 99. I find it hilarious that a specialized
camera repairman, Canon technical support, AND another camera repairman on
the phone with the 1st guy all couldn't get past Error 99, but with that
link, I did so in 5 minutes.

I'm going to go share my tips with the camera repairman. I guess I should
offer to pay to fix his mirror repair, he did the job he was asked to do
which I had agreed to pay for. But so far, in talks with the local shop
(which he works through, not at, but through), they haven't charged me
anything even with me saying I ought to pay SOMETHING for all his troubles;
after all, he did fix the mirror.

Well, anyway, it LOOKS LIKE (so far anyway) I can shoot with my D-SLR again!

--
LRH
Nikon CP5700, Canon EOS300D (Digital Rebel), Sunpak 433AF (for Nikon)

Larry R Harrison Jr wrote:

> I did as it said. I (a) removed all batteries (the BP-511 AND the
"watch"
> battery for date/time), removed the CF card, turned the camera ON
(yes, ON)
> used a pencil eraser to gently clean the lens contacts on the camera
body,
> waiting about 5 minutes, put all batteries/cards back in, turned the
camera,
> then I actually did a sensor clean.

You forgot to resublimate the electronic transverters. This is why:

> The only after-effects of all this--for some reason, the 7 indicators
inside
> which show the selected AF-point no longer work. (Maybe that's from
where
> the guy fixed the mirror box?) All else works fine (including 7-point
AF
> indicator on the control panel). It takes pictures just fine & dandy.

Also note that the fix you specify will result in the cameras
destruction in 48.545 days. Ain't the internet a place of wonder?
February 15, 2005 11:30:55 PM

"Larry R Harrison Jr" <noone@noone.com> a écrit dans le message de

> The only after-effects of all this--for some reason, the 7 indicators
inside
> which show the selected AF-point no longer work.

SO, back to the old ranch, you must ask now for this to be fixed.
I would not bear one more minute such an anomaly on my D Rebel.

Mike.
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 12:36:00 AM

I should ask the guy to fix this when he fixed the mirror for free? Me
thinks I got off good getting the mirror fixed for free, so maybe if that's
an issue with me I should send it to Canon & have THEM fix it.

LRH

!