Solved

Need new power supply, asus m2n68-la mobo

I've got a 2 year old HP pavillion p6200z ... I bought a new video card which requires a new power supply (card paperwork says 450 watt minimum, the stock p.s. maxes out at 250 watts).

I am fairly ignorant about power supplies, thought they were all pretty much the same, bought a Corsair CX600. Much to my chagrin, discovered that it does NOT have the appropriate wiring/connectors to power up the mobo.

The original PS has a 20 pin main which connects at one end of the mobo, and an additional 4 pin connecting over by the cpu. The Corsair I got does NOT have that 4 pin line, it has a 20+4 pin main ... the '+4' end snaps off but won't reach across the board to the 4-pin recepticle, and the round/square pin blocks are in the wrong order anyways.

How do I go about finding a new power supply with correct wiring/connectors for this mobo?
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about need power supply asus m2n68 mobo
  1. What motherboard is it?

Also what card are you going to run?
  2. Best answer
    All of the appropriate connectors are available on the Builder Series CX600 V2 (CMPSU-600CXV2) and Builder Series CX600 (CMPSU-600CX).

From Corsair's FAQs :

Where’s the 4-pin EPS/ATX 12v connector that I need for my motherboard?

Our power supplies ship with an 8-pin connector that splits in half. Use half of this connector for the 4-pin EPS/ATX 12v connector on your motherboard.

On HP's website the Pegatron M2N68-LA (Narra6-GL6) motherboard specifications states that it has a 24-pin ATX power connector. Are you saying that you have an older motherboard version that has a 20-pin ATX connector?

If you indeed have a motherboard with a 24-pin ATX connector then connect the power supply's 20+4 pin ATX cable connector to it.

If you only have the 20-pin ATX connector on the motherboard then you just connect the 20-pin part of the power supply's 20+4 pin ATX cable connector to the motherboard and leave the 4-pin part dangling and unconnected as it is intended.
  3. Thanks to ko888 ... I did not notice that the 8 pin was actually a 4+4 when I was trying to sort out the wires, nor did I see it explained in the user guide, though after careful review I find that there is a mention of it, just not clear enough for me to understand what I was seeing when I initially skimmed the guide. So now I separated the 8 pin into 2 4-pins, and connected all the necesary connectors and everything works properly.
  4. Best answer selected by MuleHeadJoe.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Asus Graphics Cards Hewlett Packard Components