Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Alright lets talk this out so I dont screw up anymore!

Last response: in Systems
April 5, 2011 5:41:14 PM

Alright this is gonna take a little bit to type I think so please forgive me if it is really long.

The 2 weeks i have spent contemplating and researching upgrading my PC. I have a Presario SR5410F. Came with Pentium Dual Core E2160, Vista x32, 1Gb RAM.

I have upgraded my RAM to 4G(2x2), installed Win7 x32 (not genuine), added a Radeon HD4350 card.

So thats what I have done so far. My plans next are to upgrade my mobo/cpu, which i have already ordered. I ordered a ASRock 770DE+ board, and a AMD Athlon II x3 450 CPU. Im hoping no one has figured out my mistake by now as I just feel like such a complete moron now. I bought a board to big for my system. I did not want to change cases and all that, but I also am impatient and do not want to pay return shipping and wait and extra week or so to get my 170$ back while in mean time i cannot afford to pay for a replacement order while waiting for my old funds to come back. Yes i would do fine with my system, but i have been waiting a long time and like I said I am impatient.

So my plan now is to buy a Case/PSU combo for my board a ATX Mid-Tower. My local PC store Milwaukee PC has them for about 60$ starting which isnt too bad cuz ive looked all over the web. So I think I am just going to go that route once the mobo/cpu gets here(should be here in a couple day).

I really just dont know how its going to work and what all i will need now to transfer everything over into a new case as i was fairly certain i could easily put a new mobo in my old case im not sure how much different or harder its going to be to start from scratch? I dont know if I will need any tools or any other accessories. not including fans.. I am gonna try to find a case with them in it or i will just pick them up myself. But I am just looking for advice with my current plan/goal.

Well thats it for now let me know if I forgot anything or if you need anymore info.

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
April 5, 2011 8:05:49 PM

Unfortunately, unless you buy an antec or cooler master case, the power supply is likely to be crap.

Here is a very nice case for the money: COOLER MASTER Elite 430 for $40 after rebate I have built out two of them, adn woudl do it again, especially at that price.

You do not need a lot of power for that system, even if yuo unlock the 4th core: Antec Basiq BP350 350W for $20 after rebate

If you can handle the cash flow, this is the way to go. Also, most likely no taxes, and shipping in a few days.

OK, OK impatient one, go to the store and buy one today if you must! Coolermaster with PSU for $70 Not sure which store you are closest to. This is available at the central Milwaukee location.

Building with an off-brand cheap case will cut your fingers and frustrate you! Building with an off-brand cheap PSU runs the risk of blowing up your components.

Just saying this so you might not repeat (some of) my mistakes.

I think most of the other stuff will be compatible, but those fancy computer sellers sure make it hard to upgrade.

Do you know if your harddrive sata or ide? Does it have the wide ribbon cable, or the skinny one?

April 5, 2011 8:41:51 PM

It is a Sata connection model number is WD3200AAJS
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
April 5, 2011 8:54:16 PM

Good, then you will not be hampered by a really slow hard drive. I think everything should go together now.
m
l
April 5, 2011 8:58:50 PM

alright well thats good.. I think im going to wait till my order gets here and try to see if i can get one from someone off craigslist. There is a guy that is selling a really nice case

fficial%26channel%3Dnp%26biw%3D1024%26bih%3D600%26tbm%3Disch%26prmd%3Divns&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=283&oei=8WSbTfrsEeS40QGu3LXjAg&page=1&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0&tx=122&ty=79" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.nvidia.c...

he said he would sell me the case and psu for about 60 bucks. is that a good one or no?

Also, when i install my motherboard and cpu in the new case, and then install my peripherals and go to boot up will i have any problems since this is a intel comp and im switching to AMD? Will i need to reinstal Windows and or wipe my hard drive again to start fresh?
m
l
April 18, 2011 5:37:13 PM

Best answer selected by Cored17.
m
l
!