Upgrade Video Card in Laptop?

nramjieawan

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2011
Hi guy/gals I really want to upgrade the video card on my laptop so that I can play some games. I have a HP Pavillion dv6915nr. I called HP and they said that I can upgrade the video card if I want. However after searching on the web for suitable video cards, I can't seem to find any. I keep comming across video cards that seem to be meant for desktop pc's. Can any video card work? Or do I have to find Laptop specific video cards? If anyone knows where I can find a video card for this model laptop (hp dv6915nr) can you please tell me? Any help would be much appreciated. Thank from B4

Helltech

Distinguished
That is odd, I don't think you talked to someone that knows what they are talking about.

1) Usually you cannot upgrade the video card, granted I have not researched the model of your laptop.
2) If you can upgrade it, usually it can only be done by the manufacturer themselves, in this case HP, and they should have told you what they can place in the laptop, and you would have to send it to them. Which would cost more money than it would be worth.
3) Buying a laptop graphics card on the internet is not easy to do, they are VERY scarce and VERY expensive.

In all honesty I would call them back, talk to someone else and get more information on the matter.

nramjieawan

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2011

Really? If that's the case then this is a bummer. I really wanted to upgrade my video card so that I can possibly play Star Wars The Old Republic when it comes out. If this is true then that is some seriously bad tech support on behalf of HP. I spoke to the guy like 2 hours ago I gave him the model number and serial number and he said yes I can go ahead and purchase a new video card and upgrade it.

Helltech

Distinguished
I'd love to hear what his responce would have been in regards to to the question, "Where can I purchase a GPU compatible with this laptop?", becuase that is nothing people can just do with ease.

As I said before, call them back. But I can nearly gaurentee you the only way you will upgrade the laptop graphics card is from HP themselves, if you can even upgrade it at all. It will also probably cost a large sum of a money. Money that could easily be better spent on building a desktop for your gaming needs.

I also looked up the laptop and nothing sticks out at me as being able to be upgraded in those regards.