How to repair laptops instructions on hardware

vatanak2011

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
I got my broken fan. I disassemble my notebook and took the fan to get it fixed. It has been tested, working. But when put it back , it still didn't work. Someone said if it still doesn't work, a slot on motherboard providing power supply to the fan is not working. I don't know to repair. My notebook model is Dell Latitude D410

puttsy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
You are asking what exactly? Take a multimeter to the power connector on your motherboard and see if it is getting power. If it is not, you will need to use a different power source from the board. If it was in warranty, it sin't now because you cracked open the case, thus, any warranty is now void. If the fan tests good out of the laptop, the connector should have a broken joint. Doubtful but I've seen it happen, and replaced it a few times as well. If you are not soldering iron friendly, don't attempt the repair yourself, if this is the problem, because laptop boards are densely populated so you will likely cause even greater damage.

Please elaborate in your posts as to what you want done/ answered. There is no all encompassing instruction manual the covers everything. If you didn't find your answer with a Google search, it likely isn't worth a repair.