Motherboard problem? Windows problem?

aeminence

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
I'm pretty stumped. I'm not all that knowledgeable when it comes to sound cards because I've always just settled for integrated sound cards within the motherboard and I was happy with that.

So here's my problem. I reformatted my computer, fresh start and it feels nice. Downloaded drivers after reinstalling Win 7

So drivers installed etc, I can play video games on high, multi task, watch movies, videos etc all with the sound being fine. It's all good. But when I tried to plug in a mic through the pink jack ( mentioning this because every forum etc I been too told me to 'MAKE SURE YOU PLUGGED IT IN TO THE RIGHT JACK' ) and turn on Skype to speak to my friends while we play online together it says it can't detect my sound card. I was confused because I didnt have a sound card, a dedicated one anyways, and the sound was working fine, and I triple checked that I had the drivers up for it (RealTek) but I still had the problem. My computer both the front and the back jacks could NOT detect the microphone.

This was odd, I turned on the realtek program the driver came with and it shows that it can detect that something was plugged into the Mic jack ( RealTek detects it but I guess Windows doesnt as well as MSN and Skype.. ) but I still get the error about my sound card not being detected.

Now my question is what exactly is causing this? I have some assumptions but since I don't pay much attention to the sound aspect of my PC I can't pin point the exact real problem..

My guess is that:

- Windows is bugging on me and just can't detect it by itself.

- Integrated audio on my mother board is at fault here and is damaged abit?

Would buying a 29$ Sound card to just overwrite the integrated one fix this issue? Please help. Sorry if this feels like a long first post, I want to be as thorough as possible.

aeminence

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
@ Tokencode - I installed them manually and I had to choose between two different ones. Realtek AC 97 or something like that ( I chose this one because ever since I had the computer I knew 100% that this was the driver I should be using, I was also told this was for the integrated audio as well, the other is for a dedicated sound card. ) I triple checked as well so I didn't stop just because I was sure about something.

This is a Dell XPS 600 btw, so I even put in the computers Dell code thing on their website that filters out the drivers so that it shows the drivers that are meant for my computer and only my computer. Also note before the reformat I had no problems using a mic etc.

@ King smp

I tried this before as well, when I go to that tab without a mic plugged in it has two DISABLED devices Realtek Mono mix and Realtek Stereomix. I have no idea what these even are but when I plug my mic into either the back of front jack of my computer the recording device isnt detected.

I noticed something on Dell support

Do you have Windows 7 32bit or 64bit?

which driver did you pick on Dell support
there is a different driver for Vista which is dated 2007
than is used for XP

if you are using Win 7 32bit pick Vista 32bit
if you are using WIn7 64bit then pick vista 64bit

this is link to dell support
this is Vista 32bit driver download
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?os=WLH&catid=-1&dateid=-1&impid=-1&osl=EN&typeid=-1&formatid=-1&servicetag=&SystemID=XPS_PNT_P4_DXG&hidos=WLH&hidlang=en&TabIndex=&scanSupported=True&scanConsent=False

what win7 are you using?

aeminence

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
I installed the Vista 32 bit version and I'm still getting the same problems. Is it safe to assume that the integrated audio on my mobo is damaged? I still hear sound though...

If I buy a dedicated sound card will it fix my problem?

I am kind of stumped
have you tried a different mic?

I bought a Asus Xonar DG 5.1 24bit PCI sound card for $35 with shipping included from US Newegg
and I am extremely happy with it

but I would hate recommend getting a card if you didnt really need one

hopefully somebody else will see this post and have some ideas

I tried this before as well, when I go to that tab without a mic plugged in it has two DISABLED devices Realtek Mono mix and Realtek Stereomix. I have no idea what these even are but when I plug my mic into either the back of front jack of my computer the recording device isnt detected.

This seems to indicate that the mic input is either disabled OR missing.

To test real quick, enable the MonoMix, set it as default, and then give a try. Also, there should be a microphone test somewhere within windows; try and get your mic working through that.

TRENDING THREADS