slide scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am looking for recommendations on a slide scanner.
Someone recommend the Minolta Dual Scan IV, but the reviews on the scanner were
poor.
Can anyone recommend a good make and model scanner for a hobbyist to scan slides?

Thanks.

Nath Kaplan

"nk" <nbkaplan@optonline.net> wrote in message
>I am looking for recommendations on a slide scanner.
> Someone recommend the Minolta Dual Scan IV, but the reviews on the scanner
> were poor.
> Can anyone recommend a good make and model scanner for a hobbyist to scan
> slides?

Nath,

I bought a Nikon CoolScan V ED this winter and I really like it. I
previously used another "hobby" or "enthusiast" level scanner: the HP
PhotoSmart.

The Nikon is a much better machine; highly recommended. (About $550 from
various sources.)

Good shooting,
Bob Scott

In article <bCvQd.89$Th6.39@fe12.lga>, nk <nbkaplan@optonline.net>
wrote:

> I am looking for recommendations on a slide scanner.
> Someone recommend the Minolta Dual Scan IV, but the reviews on the scanner
> were
> poor.
> Can anyone recommend a good make and model scanner for a hobbyist to scan
> slides?

The Dual Scan IV is very good but it's a bit sensitive to OS. It's very
klunky with my Mac OS10.2.8, but I've heard better with Panther 10.3.

You need to answer the following questions.

Have you switched to digital and want to convert a finite supply of negs
and slides?

Are you still using film and will continue in the future?

Do you want to scan for on-screen slideshows or to print?

Scanning is very time consuming and tedious. An 1800 dpi scanner will
scan 1 neg in about 1 minute or so - a 3600 dpi scanner will take around
4 or 5 minutes.
You will need to do some work on the neg with photoshop after scanning -
dust removal, scratches, sharpening, colour balance and cropping.
The Dual IV will help with that.
Talk to friends who are in the same situation as yourself - pooling
resources and buying a high-end scanner may be a better bet - one with
IR dust spot removal and the like.